The Student Room Group

Will I lose the mark

In a maths test there was a quadratic question.
Would I lose the mark if I forgot to put equals 0 at the end of the quadratic
For example:
+4x +4
Instead of
x²+4x+4=0
(edited 9 months ago)
It depends, what was the question?
Reply 2
Original post by thetoast212
It depends, what was the question?

I cant remember on the top of my head but in the first part of the question you were given simultaneous equations where one equation was y=mx and another was the equation of a circle.
I think the question asked to give a geometrical interpretation of the solution where m=2.
When I substituted y=mx where m=2 into the other equation I forgot to put =0 at the end of the quadratic before finding the values for x. Will I lose a mark for that?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
If it was a "show that" question, generally the rule is that you lose a mark for poor expression. However there are some special rules for three term quadratics (well at A-level there are) and we do not know if this QE turned up in the middle of a bigger question. Always a good idea to give the question.
Per above, it really depends on context. That said, I would never leave an expression alone in a page without an equal sign, as you could be doing f(x)="blah" (in which you want to investigate properties of the quadratic), or "blah"=0 (in which you want to solve the quadratic). Not writing either means your intention is unclear.

Talking from a "writing good maths" perspective, you should think of every line you write as a sentence.
"x^+4x+4" is not a sentence - it's missing a verb (in most cases it's the equal sign).
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tonyiptony
Per above, it really depends on context. That said, I would never leave an expression alone in a page without an equal sign, as you could be doing f(x)="blah" (in which you want to investigate properties of the quadratic), or "blah"=0 (in which you want to solve the quadratic). Not writing either means your intention is unclear.

Talking from a "writing good maths" perspective, you should think of every line you write as a sentence.
"x^+4x+4" is not a sentence - it's missing a verb (in most cases it's the equal sign).

Alright so I most likely lost the mark, thankyou for the advice I'll keep it in mind for next time
Reply 6
I find it surprising how common this is. I see this mistake from students all the time, across all ability levels.
Original post by Notnek
I find it surprising how common this is. I see this mistake from students all the time, across all ability levels.

I don't think maths teachers (that I know of) ever teach about writing maths properly. Such a shame...

And the thing is, it's no different than writing a technical essay (or rather, a simple ~50-word paragraph) with proper grammar and structure.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by tonyiptony
I don't think maths teachers (that I know of) ever teach about writing maths properly. Such a shame...

Some do.

I was very disappointed when GCSE got rid of the marks for "quality of written communication" in the new spec. If it's examinable then it will be pushed harder in schools.

What I find interesting is that the students I see missing the "=0" when solving quadratics never make a similar mistake in any other algebra working. I think it might be because a lot of students see quadratic factorising and writing down solutions as just a method that they regurgitate without really understanding it properly.
Original post by Notnek
Some do.

I was very disappointed when GCSE got rid of the marks for "quality of written communication" in the new spec. If it's examinable then it will be pushed harder in schools.

What I find interesting is that the students I see missing the "=0" when solving quadratics never make a similar mistake in any other algebra working. I think it might be because a lot of students see quadratic factorising and writing down solutions as just a method that they regurgitate without really understanding it properly.

I don't think we need a mark for writing quality. Just dock method marks straight up.
If you can't communicate your ideas well, you don't have a good method.

Alternatively, I always find giving partial credit for writing down your goal (but not achieving it) is so beneficial for (i) students' understanding; and (ii) easier for markers to follow your work. For instance, descriptors like "to find intersection between the parabola C and the line L, we wish to solve..." are so useful.

The whole missing "=0" thing means the student doesn't know what their goal is, if I were to mark the script.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest