The Student Room Group

Sinterklaas yay!

Last night and early this morning, all the people from my corridor put some sweets on the plate outside their door so we all have a nice full plate of chocolates and cookies and stuff. :biggrin: At home we'd put a shoe outside our door but for practical reasons (read: more room for candy :biggrin:) they turn it into plates these days.

I heard English people don't have this St. Nicholas tradition on Dec. 6, but are there any others that celebrate him and got lots of sweets?

He also came in during lectures to throw cookies last year. :cool: Missed him this year, too bad cos I wanted to see who dressed up as him and as his black helpers (zwarte Piet).

St. Nicholas really existed, but I don't know why people turned him into a man that gives out presents. He has this book with names of good and bad children like Santa. I suppose he is the European version of Santa in countries that have no Santa. He rides a white horse and is over 100 years old btw. :biggrin:

picture

I wasn't sure on where to write this - feel free to move it if you must. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hugatree
Last night and early this morning, all the people from my corridor put some sweets on the plate outside their door so we all have a nice full plate of chocolates and cookies and stuff. :biggrin: At home we'd put a shoe outside our door but for practical reasons (read: more room for candy :biggrin:) they turn it into plates these days.

I heard English people don't have this St. Nicholas tradition on Dec. 6, but are there any others that celebrate him and got lots of sweets?

He also came in during lectures to throw cookies last year. :cool: Missed him this year, too bad cos I wanted to see who dressed up as him and as his black helpers (zwarte Piet).

St. Nicholas really existed, but I don't know why people turned him into a man that gives out presents. He has this book with names of good and bad children like Santa. I suppose he is the European version of Santa in countries that have no Santa. He rides a white horse and is over 100 years old btw. :biggrin:

picture

I wasn't sure on where to write this - feel free to move it if you must. :smile:

Ah, we have Father Time who goes round on New Years Eve - he basically is like Sinter klaas - as we put out our shoe for him.
Reply 2
No English people don't have this tradition. I stuck some candy in the shoes of the other people in my house and they all thought I was really strange. I tried to explain it to them but I'm not sure if they cared. At least they got free candy. My mum sent me a chocolate Sinterklaas figure but it won't arrive for a couple of days. Unfortunately it'll be crushed and stale by then.
Reply 3
My parents lived in Germany for a couple of years and love it, so they reminded me this morning :biggrin: I think it's a great little tradition! Love it. Hope you had a good day!
Reply 4
deej2
Ah, we have Father Time who goes round on New Years Eve - he basically is like Sinter klaas - as we put out our shoe for him.

That's cool. :wink: Didn't know Father Time brings you sweets.

--------------

J Darnley
No English people don't have this tradition. I stuck some candy in the shoes of the other people in my house and they all thought I was really strange. I tried to explain it to them but I'm not sure if they cared. At least they got free candy. My mum sent me a chocolate Sinterklaas figure but it won't arrive for a couple of days. Unfortunately it'll be crushed and stale by then.

Where are you from? :smile: Holland, Belgium, Germany..?

--------------

supercat
My parents lived in Germany for a couple of years and love it, so they reminded me this morning :biggrin: I think it's a great little tradition! Love it. Hope you had a good day!

I had thank you! :biggrin: My tummy feels heavy now though!
Reply 5
deej2

That's cool. :wink: Didn't know Father Time brings you sweets.

--------------

J Darnley

--------------

supercat

I had thank you! :biggrin: My tummy feels heavy now though!
Reply 6
hugatree

I have lived in Belgium for... um... 7 years! Well, I should say was as I am now studying in England. I'm not originally from Belgium but I can barely remember anywhere else.
Reply 7
hugatree

I have lived in Belgium for... um... 7 years! Well, I should say was as I am now studying in England. I'm not originally from Belgium but I can barely remember anywhere else.
Reply 8
J Darnley

Cool! :smile: Where abouts? How come you moved to England?

I'm planning on moving to England myself, but need to study here first. Don't think I could do English there (I can hardly do it here! :p: ).
Reply 9
J Darnley

I'm planning on moving to England myself, but need to study here first. Don't think I could do English there (I can hardly do it here! :p: ).
I don't think i've actually heard of this i might have xxxxxxxx
Reply 12
hugatree

Moorsel, smallish village outside of Tervuren towards Leuven. I came to study here, as I am English although I loathe to admit that. I was at the British School of Brussels and as they do University applications through UCAS it was fairly easy for me to do so. I did check out some Belgian universities but I decided that it would be too hard for me.

xXLil'-AnGelXx

What the **** does that mean? "I don't think I've hard of this although it sounds familiar"? Some of these non English people type better than you do.
Reply 13
hugatree

Moorsel, smallish village outside of Tervuren towards Leuven. I came to study here, as I am English although I loathe to admit that. I was at the British School of Brussels and as they do University applications through UCAS it was fairly easy for me to do so. I did check out some Belgian universities but I decided that it would be too hard for me.

xXLil'-AnGelXx

What the **** does that mean? "I don't think I've hard of this although it sounds familiar"? Some of these non English people type better than you do.
Reply 14
The Czechs have Saint Nicholas too. He's usually accompanied by an angel and a devil - I had a traumatising experience with his hellish companion (complete with horns and rattling chains) when I was about 4... :biggrin:

Sadly, Saint Nicholas hasn't managed to make it as far as England this year to leave me a little something :frown:.
Reply 15
The Czechs have Saint Nicholas too. He's usually accompanied by an angel and a devil - I had a traumatising experience with his hellish companion (complete with horns and rattling chains) when I was about 4... :biggrin:

Sadly, Saint Nicholas hasn't managed to make it as far as England this year to leave me a little something :frown:.
I know it's not totally related, but reading this thread about chocolate and sweets reminded me I hadn't opened my Advent Calendar today.....yummy chocolate :biggrin:
I know it's not totally related, but reading this thread about chocolate and sweets reminded me I hadn't opened my Advent Calendar today.....yummy chocolate :biggrin:
Reply 18
J Darnley

It's been a while I've been this interested in reading sth. :wink: That's really cool! Never heard of the British School of Brussels but that whole UCAS thing came in handy then. :smile:

--------------

Manatee

Aww. :wink: He doesn't have an angel and a devil with him here hehe thank God. :p: You must have been so scared!
Reply 19
J Darnley

It's been a while I've been this interested in reading sth. :wink: That's really cool! Never heard of the British School of Brussels but that whole UCAS thing came in handy then. :smile:

--------------

Manatee

Aww. :wink: He doesn't have an angel and a devil with him here hehe thank God. :p: You must have been so scared!

Latest

Trending

Trending