Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last night and early this morning, all the people from my corridor put some sweets on the plate outside their door so we all have a nice full plate of chocolates and cookies and stuff. At home we'd put a shoe outside our door but for practical reasons (read: more room for candy ) they turn it into plates these days.

I heard English people don't have this St. Nicholas tradition on Dec. 6, but are there any others that celebrate him and got lots of sweets?

He also came in during lectures to throw cookies last year. :cool: Missed him this year, too bad cos I wanted to see who dressed up as him and as his black helpers (zwarte Piet).

St. Nicholas really existed, but I don't know why people turned him into a man that gives out presents. He has this book with names of good and bad children like Santa. I suppose he is the European version of Santa in countries that have no Santa. He rides a white horse and is over 100 years old btw.

picture

I wasn't sure on where to write this - feel free to move it if you must.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugatree)
    Last night and early this morning, all the people from my corridor put some sweets on the plate outside their door so we all have a nice full plate of chocolates and cookies and stuff. At home we'd put a shoe outside our door but for practical reasons (read: more room for candy ) they turn it into plates these days.

I heard English people don't have this St. Nicholas tradition on Dec. 6, but are there any others that celebrate him and got lots of sweets?

He also came in during lectures to throw cookies last year. :cool: Missed him this year, too bad cos I wanted to see who dressed up as him and as his black helpers (zwarte Piet).

St. Nicholas really existed, but I don't know why people turned him into a man that gives out presents. He has this book with names of good and bad children like Santa. I suppose he is the European version of Santa in countries that have no Santa. He rides a white horse and is over 100 years old btw.

picture

I wasn't sure on where to write this - feel free to move it if you must.
    Ah, we have Father Time who goes round on New Years Eve - he basically is like Sinter klaas - as we put out our shoe for him.

ReputationRep:
    No English people don't have this tradition. I stuck some candy in the shoes of the other people in my house and they all thought I was really strange. I tried to explain it to them but I'm not sure if they cared. At least they got free candy. My mum sent me a chocolate Sinterklaas figure but it won't arrive for a couple of days. Unfortunately it'll be crushed and stale by then.

ReputationRep:
    My parents lived in Germany for a couple of years and love it, so they reminded me this morning I think it's a great little tradition! Love it. Hope you had a good day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    Ah, we have Father Time who goes round on New Years Eve - he basically is like Sinter klaas - as we put out our shoe for him.
    That's cool. Didn't know Father Time brings you sweets.

--------------

(Original post by J Darnley)
    No English people don't have this tradition. I stuck some candy in the shoes of the other people in my house and they all thought I was really strange. I tried to explain it to them but I'm not sure if they cared. At least they got free candy. My mum sent me a chocolate Sinterklaas figure but it won't arrive for a couple of days. Unfortunately it'll be crushed and stale by then.
    Where are you from? Holland, Belgium, Germany..?

--------------

(Original post by supercat)
    My parents lived in Germany for a couple of years and love it, so they reminded me this morning I think it's a great little tradition! Love it. Hope you had a good day!
    I had thank you! My tummy feels heavy now though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej2)
    That's cool. Didn't know Father Time brings you sweets.

--------------

--------------

(Original post by supercat)
    I had thank you! My tummy feels heavy now though!

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in Belgium for... um... 7 years! Well, I should say was as I am now studying in England. I'm not originally from Belgium but I can barely remember anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    I have lived in Belgium for... um... 7 years! Well, I should say was as I am now studying in England. I'm not originally from Belgium but I can barely remember anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Cool! Where abouts? How come you moved to England?

I'm planning on moving to England myself, but need to study here first. Don't think I could do English there (I can hardly do it here! :p: ).

ReputationRep:

I'm planning on moving to England myself, but need to study here first. Don't think I could do English there (I can hardly do it here! :p: ).

ReputationRep:
    I don't think i've actually heard of this i might have xxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

Moorsel, smallish village outside of Tervuren towards Leuven. I came to study here, as I am English although I loathe to admit that. I was at the British School of Brussels and as they do University applications through UCAS it was fairly easy for me to do so. I did check out some Belgian universities but I decided that it would be too hard for me.

(Original post by xXLil'-AnGelXx)
    What the **** does that mean? "I don't think I've hard of this although it sounds familiar"? Some of these non English people type better than you do.

ReputationRep:

Moorsel, smallish village outside of Tervuren towards Leuven. I came to study here, as I am English although I loathe to admit that. I was at the British School of Brussels and as they do University applications through UCAS it was fairly easy for me to do so. I did check out some Belgian universities but I decided that it would be too hard for me.

(Original post by xXLil'-AnGelXx)
    What the **** does that mean? "I don't think I've hard of this although it sounds familiar"? Some of these non English people type better than you do.

ReputationRep:
    The Czechs have Saint Nicholas too. He's usually accompanied by an angel and a devil - I had a traumatising experience with his hellish companion (complete with horns and rattling chains) when I was about 4...

Sadly, Saint Nicholas hasn't managed to make it as far as England this year to leave me a little something .

ReputationRep:
    The Czechs have Saint Nicholas too. He's usually accompanied by an angel and a devil - I had a traumatising experience with his hellish companion (complete with horns and rattling chains) when I was about 4...

Sadly, Saint Nicholas hasn't managed to make it as far as England this year to leave me a little something .
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I know it's not totally related, but reading this thread about chocolate and sweets reminded me I hadn't opened my Advent Calendar today.....yummy chocolate
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I know it's not totally related, but reading this thread about chocolate and sweets reminded me I hadn't opened my Advent Calendar today.....yummy chocolate

ReputationRep:
    It's been a while I've been this interested in reading sth. That's really cool! Never heard of the British School of Brussels but that whole UCAS thing came in handy then.

--------------

(Original post by Manatee)

Aww. He doesn't have an angel and a devil with him here hehe thank God. :p: You must have been so scared!

ReputationRep:
    It's been a while I've been this interested in reading sth. That's really cool! Never heard of the British School of Brussels but that whole UCAS thing came in handy then.

--------------

(Original post by Manatee)

Aww. He doesn't have an angel and a devil with him here hehe thank God. :p: You must have been so scared!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.