The Student Room Group

WJEC FP2 Summer 2011 Post-Exam Discussion

What did you think of it? Question 7 was weird...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Which one was Q8 again?

I thought it wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be but I know I mucked up in a few places :/

Pretty much the same story for FP1
Reply 2
Oops, I meant question 7! That was the one with the differential of the integral
Reply 3
Oh the 3 mark one? I was extremely confused on whether it was as easy as it looked or not.
Reply 4
Q7 was just WTF. I haven't seen anything like that before. At least it was only worth 3 marks.

But I thought the rest of the paper was pretty standard. What did everyone have for the interval of f(A)?
Reply 5
I made a few mistakes, did f(A) wrong, I forgot to prove the stat points were maxima and minima, couldn't do question 7 and sorta cheated my way through the partial fraction bit in question (8) :L
Reply 6
Original post by MooMaster
Q7 was just WTF. I haven't seen anything like that before. At least it was only worth 3 marks.

But I thought the rest of the paper was pretty standard. What did everyone have for the interval of f(A)?

I think it was [4, 7]? I might have got that wrong though... I probably did, in fact :biggrin:

Original post by Pronitron
I made a few mistakes, did f(A) wrong, I forgot to prove the stat points were maxima and minima, couldn't do question 7 and sorta cheated my way through the partial fraction bit in question (8) :L

I did the same! I ended up showing that what they gave us was the same as the original formula, buy putting them over the Lowest common denominator, and factoring :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by JosephRedfern
I think it was [4, 7]? I might have got that wrong though... I probably did, in fact :biggrin:

I did the same! I ended up showing that what they gave us was the same as the original formula, buy putting them over the Lowest common denominator, and factoring :biggrin:

You had to do (something) ? (something else) because the graph was defined for two separate domains, so you had to find f(A) for x<2 and f(a) for x>2 (as the graph was not continuous) :/
Reply 8
The question mark is a union symbol btw -_-
Reply 9

Ha I didn't even do that, I just wrote some bull**** about how because the top was x^2 and the bottom x^2 you needed a constant also which would be 1, pretending I knew what I was doing and that the 1 there was obvious haha :/
Reply 10
Does f(A) = (-2, 2) u (3, 7) look familiar?

If anyone has reliable answers for this paper it would be much appreciated! :h:
Reply 11

Yeh I forgot about the discontinuity thing so I just had [-2,7], was A an interval of round brackets :/?
You had to do (something) ? (something else) because the graph was defined for two separate domains, so you had to find f(A) for x&lt;2 and f(a) for x&gt;2 (as the graph was not continuous) :/

Ah, damn! I just took the lower value into the first equation, and the higher into the second. Oh well :frown:

I found it NOT to be continuous, and for it NOT to be strictly increasing (or strictly decreasing).

I also got something like 0.794 + 0.794i for my FIRST cubic root of the complex number... I can't remember the other two though, but I know that for one, the real part was negative, and the imaginary part was positive, and for the other it was swapped around.
Reply 13
Ah, damn! I just took the lower value into the first equation, and the higher into the second. Oh well :frown:

I found it NOT to be continuous, and for it NOT to be strictly increasing (or strictly decreasing).

I also got something like 0.794 + 0.794i for my FIRST cubic root of the complex number... I can't remember the other two though, but I know that for one, the real part was negative, and the imaginary part was positive, and for the other it was swapped around.

Yeh you did the same as I did then, oh well, we might maybe get one mark I guess.
I had the same number twice for my first root also, but I got the function to be strictly increasing across all of it's domain, as f'(x)>0 for both bits :L
Reply 14
Yeh I forgot about the discontinuity thing so I just had [-2,7], was A an interval of round brackets :/?

No, they were square brackets. Crap. :argh:
Reply 15
No, they were square brackets. Crap. :argh:

I guess you'd have curly brackets around the 2 bit though on each side wouldn't you as there would be a big of nothing there between the 1 and the 4 or whatever it was when x=2. I see you're going to Imperial too btw :smile:? My friend has got an offer for maths there and has to get 2A*'s and 2A's, what's your offer like?
Reply 16
I guess you'd have curly brackets around the 2 bit though on each side wouldn't you as there would be a big of nothing there between the 1 and the 4 or whatever it was when x=2. I see you're going to Imperial too btw :smile:? My friend has got an offer for maths there and has to get 2A*'s and 2A's, what's your offer like?

Ahhh man I'm gutted about that! I spent ages going over functions, goddamit! :mad:

They want an A* in Further Maths and an A in Physics, including the A I've already got in Maths :^_^:
But it all depends on how well M3 and S3 go :s-smilie: not looking hopeful though tbh
Reply 17
Ahhh man I'm gutted about that! I spent ages going over functions, goddamit! :mad:

They want an A* in Further Maths and an A in Physics, including the A I've already got in Maths :^_^:
But it all depends on how well M3 and S3 go :s-smilie: not looking hopeful though tbh

I hope M3 is okay to make up for any stupidity I did on FP2, and I hope nothing comes up that our teacher hasn't taught us. (question 7 I'm looking at you!) How come you're doing S3? Are you doing it instead of FP3 then? If so that might be a good call as I have FP3 on Friday and it's a bitch -_-
Reply 18

That looks familiar to me! :biggrin: (I think)

I found it to be not continuous and strictly increasing :/

Also that cubic sounds familiar..
Reply 19
I hope M3 is okay to make up for any stupidity I did on FP2, and I hope nothing comes up that our teacher hasn't taught us. (question 7 I'm looking at you!) How come you're doing S3? Are you doing it instead of FP3 then? If so that might be a good call as I have FP3 on Friday and it's a bitch -_-

My school doesn't do FP3, but S3 is a piece of piss compared to the other modules so it's ok :ahee:
Good luck with FP3! It looks absolutely vile to be fair :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending