The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Mathematics Paper 3 (9MA0 03) - 20th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your Edexcel A-level Mathetmatics Paper 3 exam go ?

Edexcel A Level Mathematics Paper 3 (9MA0 03) - 20th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Also, check out our article of student reactions to the exam - your comments on this thread might be on there!

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 20th Jun 2023/ PM
Length: 2 hours

Resources:
Unofficial Mark Scheme
Edexcel A Level Mathematics
Congratulations on finishing your exam!
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Everyone's too busy with Pure to get active on this thread (myself included!) I imagine this is going to blow up after the 13th June.
Reply 2
Paper 3 is honestly the worst paper. I can't for the life of me do stats
Reply 3
only revising straight after 3:45 pm 13th of june, cuz i need to get high on paper 2 asf
Does anyone bother learning laminas?
Reply 5
Does anyone have tips for large data set? I like stats but if anything on large data set comes up I'm gonna die inside
Original post by jjeeeeeea
Does anyone have tips for large data set? I like stats but if anything on large data set comes up I'm gonna die inside

Memorise the units for different variables and the the locations of uk weather stations and worldwide usually thats all that ever comes up make a flaschard or 2 if you want bicen maths's google drive has a summarised sheet
Original post by jjeeeeeea

itll only be 1 or 2 marks on LDS specific knowledge. Like geography knowledge. However TLMaths does a decent video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RiKD-T8FME
Reply 8
what are the main topics that could come up
Reply 9
Original post by emilia 1234

stats and mechanics

but seriously: probability, binomial distribution & normal distribution feel like pretty big ones. then for mech, idk I guess forces, moments, vectors and the differentiating/integrating between s v and a stuff
Reply 10
Original post by ponidob
stats and mechanics

but seriously: probability, binomial distribution & normal distribution feel like pretty big ones. then for mech, idk I guess forces, moments, vectors and the differentiating/integrating between s v and a stuff

that's all the stuff I remember, probably other big topics too
for stats, when we binomially distribute (PD), do we need to write it out using pure's binomial expansion notation (like combination notation and the probability to the power of outcomes wanted etc.), or can we just type it into our calculator in distribution mode and write the answer down with no working?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by laurelcastillo7
for stats, when we binomially distribute (PD), do we need to write it out using pure's binomial expansion notation (like combination notation and the probability to the power of outcomes wanted etc.), or can we just type it into our calculator in distribution mode and write the answer down with no working?

you can just use the calculator
Reply 13
Original post by emilia 1234

it’s usually 1 question per topic (following the trend of all the past papers i’ve done):

stats:
- normal dist
- binomial dist
- conditional probability
- hypothesis testing
- potentially large data set small mark qs

mech:
- suvat
- projectiles
- moments
- resolving forces
- diff/integration with i/j notation

may have missed stuff but yeah usually 1 question on each fundamental skill
Reply 14
Original post by Kidparkinson
itll only be 1 or 2 marks on LDS specific knowledge. Like geography knowledge. However TLMaths does a decent video on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RiKD-T8FME

depends how badly u want a good grade but i tend to leave it as it’s only 2-3 marks at most!! i’ll put smth down but idm if it’s wrong
Reply 15
in stats and mechanics are the marks 50/50
Reply 16
need to become an absolute academic weapon in a week for this paper in order to redeem myself xxx
Reply 17
Original post by mathshnj
in stats and mechanics are the marks 50/50

yeah 50 marks for each section!
Does anyone know like an average mark for paper 3 or what mark would be considered good? I just feel like the pure papers haven’t gone as well as I’ve wanted them to and stats and mechanics is my strongest part of maths, I got like 96/100 in our mock exam for it and so I’m just kinda hoping it pulls me through to get an A?
1 week and no more maths ever again whooo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending