The Student Room Group

Differences between Oxford and Cambridge English course

Heey :smile:

I am still, yes still, struggling to choose between Oxford and Cambridge. People keep saying to me, base it on the course. And I must say I am a little confused...if anyone is either studying/ has studied English at Oxbridge- please give me some info!

I know that the Oxford course has a bit more of an Old English slant to it..
does that mean there is more historical context?
do you still have the opportunity to explore modern literature?

As for Cambridge, I do like the look of the language option.

However, I have visited both uni's and even though I probably slightly prefer the Cambridge course, think Cambridge is beautiful and possibly has the edge on drama which is a massive thing for me, I can't let go of the idea of Oxford. I don't know whether it's because I was born there or what! But I just can't :frown:

Soo, if anyone can give me an idea of whether Cambridge really is better for drama on university level (Footlights etc), or whether Oxford would have just as many opportunities to enter the drama scene- please say! xxxxx
Reply 1
I don't know if anyone will be able to say with conviction that the drama scene at one university is vastly superior over the other. In all honesty, it sounds like you prefer Cambridge. If after inspecting the course and visiting you still refer to it as "the idea of Oxford".. it doesn't sound like you'd be going there for the right reasons. Unless there was something else you failed to elaborate.

As for course differences I'm not very familiar with it, but Old English is compulsory at Oxford whereas I'm told it's optional at Cambridge. There has been lots of talk here about the emphasis Cambridge place on prac crit and Oxford placing a converse emphasis on context, but I don't really know how valid these claims are, someone who's familiar with it will probably explain more.
Reply 2
Sanyore
In all honesty, it sounds like you prefer Cambridge. If after inspecting the course and visiting you still refer to it as "the idea of Oxford".. it doesn't sound like you'd be going there for the right reasons. Unless there was something else you failed to elaborate

Thanks, hmm see what you mean. I just feel at home in Oxford and like the lively feel, probably not a good enough reason to apply :frown:

On the open day I found the tutors really open and friendly as well, and the same was the case when I sent emails. At Cambridge it was a bit of a colder response, but hey.
Reply 3
The 'English at Oxford' and 'English at Cambridge' articles in the wiki will give you details about the two courses. I don't know how up-to-date the Cambridge article is, but the Oxford one looks accurate, as far as I can see. Alternatively, the course structure on the Oxford website is here. I can't be bothered to find the equivalent page on the Cambridge website for you, but seek and ye shall find.

There is more "historical context" at Oxford, but there are also plenty of opportunities to "explore modern literature".
Reply 4
MSB

There is more "historical context" at Oxford, but there are also plenty of opportunities to "explore modern literature".

:smile: I like. The only flaw in the Oxford course for me is the fact that you can't take a module for studying literature in another language (e.g. French) But I guess I could use the language centre for keeping up a bit of francais.
Reply 5
Meganish
:smile: I like. The only flaw in the Oxford course for me is the fact that you can't take a module for studying literature in another language (e.g. French) But I guess I could use the language centre for keeping up a bit of francais.

Of course. Even so, you should definitely have a very close look at the course structures of both. Frankly, I probably should have done so before diving straight in at Oxford.

I don't think you should worry about other activities (such as drama) though, because I'm sure both have equally good provision for pursuing hobbies such as those.
Reply 6
MSB
Of course. Even so, you should definitely have a very close look at the course structures of both. Frankly, I probably should have done so before diving straight in at Oxford.

I don't think you should worry about other activities (such as drama) though, because I'm sure both have equally good provision for pursuing hobbies such as those.

Very true, may I ask which college you are at..?
Reply 7
Meganish
Very true, may I ask which college you are at..?

Not on the internet. Sorry.
Reply 8
More famous actors and comedians (and poets) have studied at Cambridge and the Cambridge Footlights is certainly the best known drama club. It's even true of Monty Python (3 Cambridge graduates: John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Eric Idle. 2 Oxford graduates: Michael Palin, Terry Jones). Palin is arguably my favourite though, although closely followed by Chapman. And of the current crop of comedians, Mitchell and Webb and Armstrong and Miller all studied at Cambridge.

I don't know your personality but Old English wouldn't appeal to me - I would favour Cambridge's more modern course and scientific, language oriented, approach to the arts. Cambridge's F R Leavis changed the way that studying English is approached. Oxford has a better reputation for politics and perhaps classics but I prefer the appearance of the city of Cambridge and the university in general.

I would have thought that, visiting both places, you would have a feel for which one you want to be at.

Latest

Trending

Trending