The Student Room Group

will 5 a levels give me a better chance at getting into oxford?

please help: will 5 a levels give me a better chance at getting into oxford? (one being further maths) and is it manageable?/worth it? will the work i put in give me that much more of an advantage?
You absolutely don't have to do 5 A-levels if you want to go to Oxford. I do 4 including further maths and got an offer. Quite a lot of people will only be doing 3.
Even 4 is a lot of work so maybe consider doing 4 plus an epq which may be more manageable? What other subjects were you thinking of taking?
Original post by Anonymous
please help: will 5 a levels give me a better chance at getting into oxford? (one being further maths) and is it manageable?/worth it? will the work i put in give me that much more of an advantage?

You have to read between the lines a bit, but the answer is that it's probably not going to make enough of a difference to be worthwhile.

https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/542/p/27/c/248

"Offers will normally only be made for three A-levels regardless of how many you are taking, though the offer may specify in which three subjects we want the required grades. A-level requirements range between A*A*A and AAA, depending on the course. Please look at your chosen course page for detailed admissions requirements.

Any additional A-levels that you choose to take will be considered, and can help to demonstrate your ability to handle a large workload. However, we recommend that you think carefully before taking on any additional A-levels as this may reduce the time you have to read around your chosen subject beyond your school or college work. You may like to refer to our suggested subject resources page for ideas.

We advise candidates not to spread themselves too thinly across too many subjects, where they may risk dropping a grade or two in their results. Our offers are made on the basis of exam grades rather than UCAS Tariff points, so three A*/A grades would be sufficient to meet most conditional offers, but two A*s and two Bs would not."
Reply 3
Generally not, no
Original post by Anonymous #1
No, it's not a good idea. Three A levels are enough or 4 if you are taking F Maths.
Original post by Admit-One
You have to read between the lines a bit, but the answer is that it's probably not going to make enough of a difference to be worthwhile.
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/542/p/27/c/248
"Offers will normally only be made for three A-levels regardless of how many you are taking, though the offer may specify in which three subjects we want the required grades. A-level requirements range between A*A*A and AAA, depending on the course. Please look at your chosen course page for detailed admissions requirements.
Any additional A-levels that you choose to take will be considered, and can help to demonstrate your ability to handle a large workload. However, we recommend that you think carefully before taking on any additional A-levels as this may reduce the time you have to read around your chosen subject beyond your school or college work. You may like to refer to our suggested subject resources page for ideas.
We advise candidates not to spread themselves too thinly across too many subjects, where they may risk dropping a grade or two in their results. Our offers are made on the basis of exam grades rather than UCAS Tariff points, so three A*/A grades would be sufficient to meet most conditional offers, but two A*s and two Bs would not."
Thank you so much!!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #2
You absolutely don't have to do 5 A-levels if you want to go to Oxford. I do 4 including further maths and got an offer. Quite a lot of people will only be doing 3.
Even 4 is a lot of work so maybe consider doing 4 plus an epq which may be more manageable? What other subjects were you thinking of taking?
Thank you!

I wanted to know whether 4 and an epq is manageable?or is it better to do 4 including further maths and an epq? I want to do something science related but i like geography and was thinking about taking it for a forth. Ive already decided fully on doing an epq( i dont know whether to do the epq abt science or not)
Thank you!
I wanted to know whether 4 and an epq is manageable?or is it better to do 4 including further maths and an epq? I want to do something science related but i like geography and was thinking about taking it for a forth. Ive already decided fully on doing an epq( i dont know whether to do the epq abt science or not)
No it's not advised. I teach in a selective state school - we get students into Oxbridg every year.
Three plus EPQ or 4 including FMaths
Thank you!

You're welcome!!

I think that doing 4 A Levels with one being Further Maths is definitely doable - I've got friends who have done this and they found the work load manageable. If you're going to do four and an epq it's a good idea for one of the A Levels to be FM though, otherwise you'll basically be doing 5 different subjects which is very tricky.

Remember you can always change your subjects during the first few weeks of college but bare in mind that the work load (especially for sciences) will only increase over the two years. I hope this helps!
Reply 9
You're welcome!!
I think that doing 4 A Levels with one being Further Maths is definitely doable - I've got friends who have done this and they found the work load manageable. If you're going to do four and an epq it's a good idea for one of the A Levels to be FM though, otherwise you'll basically be doing 5 different subjects which is very tricky.
Remember you can always change your subjects during the first few weeks of college but bare in mind that the work load (especially for sciences) will only increase over the two years. I hope this helps!
I am sure about doing 2 sciences, and maths, and I wanted to do Geography to add a written subject. Do you think this as 4 will work? I've been told to start Further Maths as an AS and drop it, but I want to do my EPQ in year 12 so I'm really not sure. Although I am extremely stressed and under lots of pressure, I just don't want to cut myself short or not do a subject that other people / I think would be 'easy' for me. It's kind of like a toxic trait, I need to work on it.
I am sure about doing 2 sciences, and maths, and I wanted to do Geography to add a written subject. Do you think this as 4 will work? I've been told to start Further Maths as an AS and drop it, but I want to do my EPQ in year 12 so I'm really not sure. Although I am extremely stressed and under lots of pressure, I just don't want to cut myself short or not do a subject that other people / I think would be 'easy' for me. It's kind of like a toxic trait, I need to work on it.

I think that those 4 would be fine, although doing AS Further Maths and an epq on top of those would be a very heavy work load. If you're stressing about it, just start off doing everything and then drop whatever you don't enjoy.

You wouldn't be cutting yourself short at all by just doing 4 A-Levels - that's still more than most people do (even Oxbridge applicants) and I think that you'll be surprised by how heavy the work load gets. Bare in mind that going into year 13 the content is going to get a lot harder as well so you don't want to burn out in year 12 only to have your hardest year still ahead. Good luck!
Reply 11

What did you do to get your offer ? I know a lot of people that are trying to get in and it sounds so hard 😭
Original post by Aya.J
What did you do to get your offer ? I know a lot of people that are trying to get in and it sounds so hard 😭

Starting early with preparation really helps e.g. doing the supercurriculas early and steadily throughout college and before. If you need to sit an admissions test now is the time to start finding out more and having a go at past papers etc.

Talking to people and working in study groups that allowed me to talk through my thought processes was incredibly useful interview prep! Hope this helps!!
Original post by Aya.J

Tell-Me-About-A-Banana-e-Book.pdf (storage.googleapis.com)
I think that those 4 would be fine, although doing AS Further Maths and an epq on top of those would be a very heavy work load. If you're stressing about it, just start off doing everything and then drop whatever you don't enjoy.
You wouldn't be cutting yourself short at all by just doing 4 A-Levels - that's still more than most people do (even Oxbridge applicants) and I think that you'll be surprised by how heavy the work load gets. Bare in mind that going into year 13 the content is going to get a lot harder as well so you don't want to burn out in year 12 only to have your hardest year still ahead. Good luck!
Thank you! I read in many places that doing further maths is what distinguished many students from others, allowing them to get into a good university. I want to study biomedical sciences; do you think this is necessary?

I am set on doing and epq and understand the massive workload of 5, but I'm scared I'll regret it either way. I think I'm set on just doing 4+epq, but I don't know what to drop, and if I'll even want to do some of the subjects after I get my GCSE results.

I know this is a stretch, but do you think 5 AS levels is manageable? And will it do me any good for my university application?
Thank you! I read in many places that doing further maths is what distinguished many students from others, allowing them to get into a good university. I want to study biomedical sciences; do you think this is necessary?
I am set on doing and epq and understand the massive workload of 5, but I'm scared I'll regret it either way. I think I'm set on just doing 4+epq, but I don't know what to drop, and if I'll even want to do some of the subjects after I get my GCSE results.
I know this is a stretch, but do you think 5 AS levels is manageable? And will it do me any good for my university application?

Np! Further Maths would probably be useful to have on your application but not essential - I know lots of people that are going to Oxbridge to do sciences that don't have Further Maths. I really don't think that doing 5 AS Levels will benefit your application though. 4 is enough to show the uni that you are organised and dedicated to your studies. It probably is manageable but just remember not to stretch yourself too thin!
A chap from my old Sixth Form got into Wadham College, Oxford for MPhys and studied 5 AS-Levels in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. However, he only continued A-Levels in Maths, Further Maths and Physics. He achieved highly in the PAT test for Physics and did well at the interviews and was offered a place.

If you're doing Biomedical Sciences, then Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology would be sufficient for any university in the UK. 🙂
I was just wondering if there are other things other than a levels that oxford values? Extra curriculars or activities that will help increase your chance to get into oxford?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending