The Student Room Group

When are most answers about Oxford funding given?

Hi all,
I'm extremely excited because I have received an offer from Oxford and UCL, but I'm worried about funding. I will not be able to attend without funding, and I also need to apply for a student visa and plan to relocate to England.

I understand that LAHP will provide answers at the end of April, and most Oxford funding scholarships say "Selection is expected to take place in May 2024". Does this mean they will announce in May, or will the answers come in later?
Do you know if most scholarships usually return answers sooner than that, despite what the website says? I'm especially curious about Clarendon, Bounden, Reuben, Wolfson (and all of the ones about which there are still no details). And anything else that may be relevant for a Dphil in the humanities.

Also, did anyone hear from any college? I received an email saying that Magdalene which I listed as my preference could not accept me, if this helps anyone!

Thank you so much in advance.
Fellow Magdalen reject here! My interviewers said funding can take up to June to finalise, although this is for a STEM programme so maybe things will be different for you. I am also under the impression that Clarendon decisions have already gone out because some people I know have received it already.
Original post by sandwichman2
Fellow Magdalen reject here! My interviewers said funding can take up to June to finalise, although this is for a STEM programme so maybe things will be different for you. I am also under the impression that Clarendon decisions have already gone out because some people I know have received it already.
Oh, good to know! Thank you and good luck!
Reply 3
Hey did you apply for Wolfson at UCL? Have you heard any news? I saw someone got it from Oxford, but I'm still waiting for UCL.
Original post by EMOUS
Hey did you apply for Wolfson at UCL? Have you heard any news? I saw someone got it from Oxford, but I'm still waiting for UCL.

What do you mean, Wolfson at UCL? I thought that it's an Oxford college?
Reply 5
Original post by Stressed1212
What do you mean, Wolfson at UCL? I thought that it's an Oxford college?

I mean the wolfson scholarship in the humanities. Apologies for any confusion. :biggrin:
Original post by EMOUS
I mean the wolfson scholarship in the humanities. Apologies for any confusion. :biggrin:

Oh, no, they exclude my field. I really fall between the two stools, it's so annoying. Scholarships that prioritize my field are mostly only for UK residents, and scholarships for my country are not for my field, and for Rhodes I pass the age limit (I did mandatory military service + 4 years BA + leveling classes + MA...)
Reply 7
Original post by Stressed1212
Oh, no, they exclude my field. I really fall between the two stools, it's so annoying. Scholarships that prioritize my field are mostly only for UK residents, and scholarships for my country are not for my field, and for Rhodes I pass the age limit (I did mandatory military service + 4 years BA + leveling classes + MA...)

At least we can still wait for LAHP. Hope the best for you. :smile:
Original post by EMOUS
At least we can still wait for LAHP. Hope the best for you. :smile:

Same! Fingers crossed for you too!
Reply 9
Original post by sandwichman2

since certain departments are still giving out offer letters ( as part of their december/january deadline), would it be safe to guess that there is still a higher possibility that not all clarendon offers are out? as far as i know, clarendon scholarships are awarded after the student has received an offer of admission.
can someone please clarify this query? the head of my department is on a vacation so i cant ask there.
I received my DPhil offer this week. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on how long one should ideally wait to hear from them? What is the likelihood of getting the scholarship if you department nominates you (i have no clue if i am nominated)? Does the timeline vary between departments (i know some departments have already given out the scholarship offers)? and how long does it take to get assigned to a college?
thank you very much
Original post by EMOUS

UCL sent out offers (and reserve list) for the Wolfson last week
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous #2
UCL sent out offers (and reserve list) for the Wolfson last week
Thank you for the update.
I am very worried about funding too! I have an Oxford dphil offer and wondered if anyone else has heard back from ERSC?
Reply 14
Hello everyone - My supervisor told me two weeks ago that I have been selected for the Clarendon Scholarship, but I have not received the official documents yet. Do I need to continue to inquire with the department or wait? I am very anxious now.
I have now heard back from ERSC fyi I don’t think there is harm in checking in with the dept
I emailed my dept to ask about funding around a month ago, they got back to me 2 weeks later with a super generic February-June answer. I don't want to annoy them, but this wait is excruciating. Do you think there's a point in emailing again? Maybe someone else in the department might be able to give me insight?
Reply 17
Why is the approval process for scholarships so slow?
Does someone still hope to get a scholarship at this point, or have all been awarded already?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending