The Student Room Group

Oxford MSc in Advanced Computer Science 2024 Entry

Didn't spot a thread for Oxford MSc in Advanced Computer Science 2024, so just open this thread.
Feel free to share here if you got an interview, update on how it went, ask questions, and raise concerns.

GOOD LUCK everyone : )
(edited 3 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FiveSevenNight
Didn't spot a thread for Oxford MSc in Advanced Computer Science 2024, so just open this thread.
Feel free to share here if you got an interview, update on how it went, ask questions, and raise concerns.

When did you apply?

Are you a Home UK student? or an International student?
Original post by thegeek888
When did you apply?

Are you a Home UK student? or an International student?

I submitted my application on Jan 3rd. I am an international student.
do you know approximately when they start with interviews?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
do you know approximately when they start with interviews?

I was wondering this too and checked the thread from the previous year. It seems that interviews are conducted around the beginning to mid February? I am assuming interview invitations must be sent at least a week before this but am not 100% certain. The other thing I'm wondering is the percentage of people who are interviewed? Not sure I can find much on this though but let me know if you find anything 🙂
Also there's gradcafe to check for when people are getting interviews and offers/rejections.

Good luck to all who applied!
(edited 3 months ago)
I am sure not 100% get interview. Some of my friends got admitted directly without interview.
Reply 6
I am sure not 100% get interview. Some of my friends got admitted directly without interview.

Oh wow really? Just out of curiousity, was this just because they were exceptionally outstanding on paper?
Original post by Chgvcfgh
Oh wow really? Just out of curiousity, was this just because they were exceptionally outstanding on paper?

I don't think so. Some of them don't have a paper.
Reply 8
I don't think so. Some of them don't have a paper.

Hmm only around 55 places per year and some people get in without interviews? Seems a bit weird to me. I had my interview for MSc CompSci at Cambridge yesterday so I'm hoping I at least get to the interview stage here too.
Original post by Chgvcfgh
Hmm only around 55 places per year and some people get in without interviews? Seems a bit weird to me. I had my interview for MSc CompSci at Cambridge yesterday so I'm hoping I at least get to the interview stage here too.

Yeah... I heard that most people who were accepted without interviews are native English speaker, so interviewers have no doubt of their English skills (and maybe with strong bg). But I have a friend who is not native English speaker and was accepted without interviews last year. We were all surprising about that, and we think it is due to he has a strong recommendation letter.
Reply 10
Yeah... I heard that most people who were accepted without interviews are native English speaker, so interviewers have no doubt of their English skills (and maybe with strong bg). But I have a friend who is not native English speaker and was accepted without interviews last year. We were all surprising about that, and we think it is due to he has a strong recommendation letter.

was your friend accepted into Oxford into the advanced computing course?
Original post by emaanqur
was your friend accepted into Oxford into the advanced computing course?

Yes
Reply 12

This is fantastic! At least, it gives some of us hope who are international students. A quick question, was his/her strong recommendation letter from a renowned academic or what? Just curious to know.
We don't know such details, and this is just a friend told me (not sure whether it is real)...
Anyway, just proceed with what we are and time will tell : )
Reply 14
We don't know such details, and this is just a friend told me (not sure whether it is real)...
Anyway, just proceed with what we are and time will tell : )

Okay, thanks.
Reply 15

Are you good at data structures and algorithms?
Original post by cvgk
Are you good at data structures and algorithms?

The question seems strange. I have taken some courses related to this, but just part of my degree, not my research interest...
Original post by undefined

Thank you for starting the thread. I applied on 23rd of December. Also applied to a bunch of other universities and heard back from them as well. I am an international applicant. Hoping for the best for everyone.
I checked GradCafe, and saw that people did their interviews from Feb. 6th - 20th last year. I guess they send interview invitations in late Jan. or early Feb., which is coming soon. Can you guys make an update if receive interview invitation?
Reply 19

Quick question, please. Did this person get his/her offer earlier since he/she didn't get interviewed or the offer was sent at the same time as other applicants who were also interviewed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending