The Student Room Group

Minimum/Maximum: Harder functions

f(x) = (x^2 - 1)e^x

I used chain rule and I get the first derivative. Then set that to zero, but with such a complicated function how do I find the exact values of x for these critical points? Before it was simple critical points where 2x - 1 = 0 or 3x^2 = 0

but this is an exam question

f'(x)= (x^2 - 1)e^x + e^x.2x = 0

Is it just me or do I suck at algebra like this?
Reply 1
Original post by chrislpp
f(x) = (x^2 - 1)e^x

I used chain rule and I get the first derivative. Then set that to zero, but with such a complicated function how do I find the exact values of x for these critical points? Before it was simple critical points where 2x - 1 = 0 or 3x^2 = 0

but this is an exam question

f'(x)= (x^2 - 1)e^x + e^x.2x = 0

(x21)ex+2xex=0    ex(x21+2x)=0 (x^2-1)e^x + 2 x e^x = 0 \implies e^x (x^2-1+2x) = 0

As ex0 e^x \not= 0 , hence we can divide both sides by ex e^x

This gives, x2+2x1=0 x^2+2x-1=0 , now solve the quadratic to get the coordinates.

It is just you. :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by raheem94
(x21)ex+2xex=0    ex(x21+2x)=0 (x^2-1)e^x + 2 x e^x = 0 \implies e^x (x^2-1+2x) = 0

As ex0 e^x \not= 0 , hence we can divide both sides by ex e^x

This gives, x2+2x1=0 x^2+2x-1=0 , now solve the quadratic to get the coordinates.

It is just you. :tongue:

What about a function that uses trigonometry, when using the chain rule of course you will likely end up with various cosin, sine and - sine and -cosine functions, how would I set such a derivative to 0?
Reply 3
Original post by chrislpp
What about a function that uses trigonometry, when using the chain rule of course you will likely end up with various cosin, sine and - sine and -cosine functions, how would I set such a derivative to 0?

Solve it in the way you solve trig equations.

It will be better if you give a specific example in which you find difficulty.
Reply 4
Original post by raheem94
Solve it in the way you solve trig equations.

It will be better if you give a specific example in which you find difficulty.

8(sinX)^-2.cosX - 4(cosX)^-2.sinX = 0
Reply 5
bump

Quick Reply

Latest