The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Maintenance loan MUCH lower than calculated ?!

A bit of brief context:
I attended university from 2021 - 2022, then left my course. For that year I received just short of the maximum maintenance loan you can get for living away from home (I believe about ~£7k out of a maximum ~£8k.)

I'm going to university this September. I'm staying at home. Even considering this, and when grossly *overestimating* my household income (which hasn't changed!), the calculator shows I should receive around £6k. Around ~£7k if I put in the actual household income - the same as 2021.

My special support grant (which I'm eligible for because I receive PIP) is completely missing too.

I spoke to SF on the phone and apparently my application is completely processed - and they told me they give the minimum maintenance loan if your household income is over £56k/annum (it isn't)?! So this is the final amount I'm getting?!
The only thing I can think of is that the SF advisor was incorrect (They were heavily accented so I could barely understand them + they sounded dead tired)
Or they've mixed me up with another household's income?

All I can think of to explain it is that I applied late and so they're still processing everything. This checks out with this guidance (Link: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/getting-your-first-student-finance-payment#:~:text=If%20you%27re%20getting%20less%20student%20finance%20than%20you%20expected,-If%20you%27ve&text=This%20is%20to%20make%20sure,as%20soon%20as%20we%20can )
And also checks out with several other posts I've seen here.

Help please?
Your loan will be lower if you live at home

When did you submit your household income information?
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Your loan will be lower if you live at home

When did you submit your household income information?

My parents submitted it mid-july (ish). I know the loan will be lower as I'm at home but the calculator says it should be double what I'm actually getting. My special support grant is also missing completely.

I think they've actually mixed me up with another person. The SF advisor (speaking to another one) has told me my household income is apparently "really high". It's definitely not over the £56k for me to get the minimum amount that's for sure.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by varjak_
My parents submitted it mid-july (ish). I know the loan will be lower as I'm at home but the calculator says it should be double what I'm actually getting. My special support grant is also missing completely.

I think they've actually mixed me up with another person. The SF advisor (speaking to another one) has told me my household income is apparently "really high". It's definitely not over the £56k for me to get the minimum amount that's for sure.

It takes 6-8 weeks for household income assessments to be done. If it was only submitted mid-July then I would wait until end August before chasing.

When you do chase use the online chat function on your SFE account (or contact SFE through facebook or twitter). The staff covering those are more experienced than the people on the phones.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
It takes 6-8 weeks for household income assessments to be done. If it was only submitted mid-July then I would wait until end August before chasing.

When you do chase use the online chat function on your SFE account (or contact SFE through facebook or twitter). The staff covering those are more experienced than the people on the phones.

Thank you. The SF advisor on the phone told my application is completely done so I'm not sure if that was a simplification of the situation just told to me over the phone or I'm actually stuck with this amount, or they're unaware that there's another household income assessment. Apparently HMRC has confirmed the household income so whatever it was (they're not allowed to tell me) must be significantly higher than I expected. I'm slightly dumfounded as to why its so low. I expected living at home to lower it but not by this much!

My last hope is well... hoping that they're still assessing it all. I haven't received any official correspondence such as letters or emails (was only approved 2 days ago) informing me of it, and my payments are actually still "awaiting confirmation" from my uni when I check my payments page.

Thank you for the advice on contacting them via FB/Twitter, I definitely will closer to the end of August.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending