The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8800
Original post by Ruroyer72
I'm guessing you didn't buy it just because it's a "plain blue bag", the material, fastenings, shape and colour are more typical of a ladies bag, and not a nice one because some attempt has been made to make it a smidgen masculine. The reason why I say disjointed or mismatched is because they are a strange choice of things, usually for someone who has their own style there's some consistency to what they buy, that doesn't mean they're boring as their style can change and with that style a new range of similar consistent items to fit. I have a very open mind, I've worn some ridiculous stuff in my time and still do from time to time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They may be inconsistent as a collection of 4 items, but they fit into my wardrobe quite well:

I bought the shorts because a lot of mine are now too big, and I wanted a pair that would go with a lot of neutral colours, as well as oranges, greens and reds/pinks (the colours I seem to be wearing most this summer).

I bought the jumper because I like bright coloured tops, and it fits incredibly well, plus the colour goes well with my more summery jeans.

I bought the jeans because I have hardly any jeans that fit me anymore, and these not only fit me like a glove but were cheap and are a colour I've wanted to try for a while. The bag was an extension of that tbh.

Yeah they may be unusual but remember that this is the last of a particularly big bout of sale shopping I've done, go back several pages and you'll see a lot more stuff I've bought, mostly relatively more "conservative" I guess (I've been aiming for classics/basics given my new weight and size).

To be fair I sell ladies bags as part of my day job, and typically there are quite a few differences. For starters you will almost certainly never see a woman's bag this long (they tend to be wider than they are long, especially tote bags, probably because women are generally too short to hold it by the handles without dragging). Secondly the colour is far too masculine (though you may disagree, please realise that because it is not a typical dark/neutral colour most often used by men does not mean that it is therefore feminine). Thirdly the detailing is not even remotely feminine, it is incredibly masculine in it's restrained and utilitarian design (no superfluous zips, simple canvas handles). The reason I like it is because in real life you can tell it's very well made, the quality of the material is noticeable, and it's a nice yet unusual colour. Yes it's bright but it's still blue, so it goes with a lot of different colours.

You are welcome to dislike it, it took me a while before I liked it (first saw it a few months ago), but it's not feminine. And even if it were, I'm a grown-ass man and I'll wear whatever I want, regardless of whether or not it is generally approved by our patriarcal society :fyi: However I think we can agree that on a scale of one to Rick Owens, I am still pretty conventional when it comes to male fashion :holmes:
Reply 8801
Hello! I am starting sixth form in september and want a new look! I like the look of hippies. I am going for the look of the guy in Cukoo Andy Samberg. What are your tips? I am 16 by the way.
Reply 8802
Original post by JosephSF
Hello! I am starting sixth form in september and want a new look! I like the look of hippies. I am going for the look of the guy in Cukoo Andy Samberg. What are your tips? I am 16 by the way.

Yeah, you're erm.. definitely in the wrong place.
Reply 8803
Original post by Peachz
Yeah, you're erm.. definitely in the wrong place.

Why?
Original post by JosephSF
Why?

Because hippy fashion is tragic in almost every way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paddy
They may be inconsistent as a collection of 4 items, but they fit into my wardrobe quite well:

I bought the shorts because a lot of mine are now too big, and I wanted a pair that would go with a lot of neutral colours, as well as oranges, greens and reds/pinks (the colours I seem to be wearing most this summer).

I bought the jumper because I like bright coloured tops, and it fits incredibly well, plus the colour goes well with my more summery jeans.

I bought the jeans because I have hardly any jeans that fit me anymore, and these not only fit me like a glove but were cheap and are a colour I've wanted to try for a while. The bag was an extension of that tbh.

Yeah they may be unusual but remember that this is the last of a particularly big bout of sale shopping I've done, go back several pages and you'll see a lot more stuff I've bought, mostly relatively more "conservative" I guess (I've been aiming for classics/basics given my new weight and size).

To be fair I sell ladies bags as part of my day job, and typically there are quite a few differences. For starters you will almost certainly never see a woman's bag this long (they tend to be wider than they are long, especially tote bags, probably because women are generally too short to hold it by the handles without dragging). Secondly the colour is far too masculine (though you may disagree, please realise that because it is not a typical dark/neutral colour most often used by men does not mean that it is therefore feminine). Thirdly the detailing is not even remotely feminine, it is incredibly masculine in it's restrained and utilitarian design (no superfluous zips, simple canvas handles). The reason I like it is because in real life you can tell it's very well made, the quality of the material is noticeable, and it's a nice yet unusual colour. Yes it's bright but it's still blue, so it goes with a lot of different colours.

You are welcome to dislike it, it took me a while before I liked it (first saw it a few months ago), but it's not feminine. And even if it were, I'm a grown-ass man and I'll wear whatever I want, regardless of whether or not it is generally approved by our patriarcal society :fyi: However I think we can agree that on a scale of one to Rick Owens, I am still pretty conventional when it comes to male fashion :holmes:

I completely understand but perhaps read over and realise that you have proved me right. On account of the shorts, wearing patterned shorts with any bold block colour such as red blue ( any of them in fact) doesn't work, why? Because its confusing to look at, I would understand pastel colours, muted so they don't detract from the shorts but not bold colours. The bag is incredibly similar to a ladies handbag I saw in TKMaxx only last week, and also as someone who sells bags surely you would know that oversized bags are very much on trend, whether that's long or wide. Also my comments weren't meant separately the accumulated features make it more typical of a ladies bag, that's not my reason for disliking it, it's simply not very attractive.
Should you choose to use it as a day bag, may I suggest not with camo shorts and a brightly coloured t-shirt.
It's not a case of generally approved, it's only my opinion, I'm not questioning your manhood.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Porter
Because hippy fashion is tragic in almost every way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This made me cry with laughter, thank you sir

Posted from TSR Mobile
Love dem sales

IMG_0133.jpg
Reply 8809
image3xl.jpgthis or image3xl.jpg
Original post by Tutis
image3xl.jpgthis or image3xl.jpg

Black, if anyone draws a d*ck on it, spills anything on it, you won't see it, more versatile as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8811
Does any one know what make this polo shirt is? Very nice fit imo.

3GXes.jpg
Reply 8812
Original post by Tom78
Does any one know what make this polo shirt is? Very nice fit imo.

3GXes.jpg

Jack Wills.
Reply 8813
Original post by Peachz
Jack Wills.

Cheers
What's the best way to wear a pink Oxford shirt casually without looking like too much of an old man? I'm having trouble trying to incorporate pink into my wardrobe.

Brought a nice pink Ralph Lauren shirt and I want it to get a bit more wear than when I have to dress-up.

not a fan of the material strap, leather would be better. Probably can be easily changed
tie dye has like already been killed this summer has barely started
Reply 8817
Can't wait for this summer to be over, sick to death of t shirts and old men with no tops on already.
is it worth getting an off the peg high street suit tailored e.g. 100% wool from next? ive come to realise that a well fitted suit looks much nicer and expensive :smile:
Original post by tw15st3d
is it worth getting an off the peg high street suit tailored e.g. 100% wool from next? ive come to realise that a well fitted suit looks much nicer and expensive :smile:

I bought one from next for 6th form, it was great, didn't wear, resilient considering I'd stupidly do I'll my art in it, and I got it tailored recently to look more casual for an extra £20

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest