The Student Room Group

Oxbridge master's

Hi,
I'm currently a 2nd year studying Maths and Computer Science at Imperial. I have a first class honours predicted but it's rather low (75%).
I was wondering if there are any things I can do to improve my chances of acceptance?
- east asian male (not chinese/korean/indian), family is relatively well-off, nothing crazy
- high school research at a famous scientific institute
- short ML research at uni (UROP)
- software engineering internship at a globally prestigious hedge fund (this summer)
- no major awards apart from high school-level things
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
What are some prospective courses at Oxbridge you’ve been looking at? Easier to offer advice for more specific programs.
Reply 2
Original post by HammerSmithGod
Hi,
I'm currently a 2nd year studying Maths and Computer Science at Imperial. I have a first class honours predicted but it's rather low (75%).
I was wondering if there are any things I can do to improve my chances of acceptance?
- east asian male (not chinese/korean/indian), family is relatively well-off, nothing crazy
- software engineering internship at a globally prestigious hedge fund (this summer)
If you have some type of essay or research project try and get a very good reseaecher so they can give you a good reference. Also work on trying to get above 80 in second year. With Imperial cos its hard you can probably get away with a lower grade than most other unis tbf. But ideally 80 or above in second year.
Hi,
the obvious ones:

improve your average, and have an upwards academic trajectory

Be the best &/or deeply passionate and knowledgeable about one area, have your reasons for attending X college/institution is to take modules or research in that niche

Get a research internship in a relevant group in academia

Win an academic prize in final year

Just apply early and see what happens, postgraduate admissions can very very often be first come first served (of qualified candidates) so a decent first from Imperial from a student willing to pay full fees may still be an attractive applicant.

Original post by mnot
the obvious ones:

improve your average, and have an upwards academic trajectory

Be the best &/or deeply passionate and knowledgeable about one area, have your reasons for attending X college/institution is to take modules or research in that niche

Get a research internship in a relevant group in academia

Win an academic prize in final year

Just apply early and see what happens, postgraduate admissions can very very often be first come first served (of qualified candidates) so a decent first from Imperial from a student willing to pay full fees may still be an attractive applicant.

is a research internship more important/useful than an industry internship at a prestigious firm? And wouldn't I be applying in third year, so winning an academic prize in final year be too late?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
is a research internship more important/useful than an industry internship at a prestigious firm? And wouldn't I be applying in third year, so winning an academic prize in final year be too late?
Research one would be seen as more important but both are good. That being said, not fully necessary, I was fine without a research internship. Also PM if you have any other questions, I'm starting part III in September.
Research internships in academia are probably more valuable to academic qualifications.

If you apply in final year you are correct, no awards on paper, if you take a year out and apply then you can use them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending