The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

ADHD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Cattty
right, so im gona read 12 pages of posts? i do have a life. its not a disability, but clearly for some of you lot it only seems real if i call it that.
if your gona call it mental health are you saying that schizophrinia isnt real? or depression? or OCD? are all these people just out for attention? are all these highly educated doctors wrong? and ignorant morons like yourself are right :colone:

ADHD is a condition which affects children and adults. these people do not always have behaviour problems- it is a negative steriotype that they do.

but they do get treated differently because they have the condition (wow!!!) if you have a kid in class who has autism, they would be treated differently, a child with dyslexia would be treated differently, a child with cerebral palsy would be treated differently. so guess what? a child with ADHD would be treated differently (shocking!!!)

If you had bothered to read the previous pages like some other people on here have taken time to do, you would have realised that not everyone is against it as you seem to think.

You have arrived in the middle of a debate on the topic - while there is nothing wrong with that, you seem to believe that everyone is against you or against ADHD when all we were/are trying to do is debate the topic properly, each may have their own point of view but that is all part of a debate. The previous pages, if you had bothered to read them actually show that there are people with opposite opinions in the topic, not everyone holds the opinion of what you seem to think.

While you have some good points for debate, becoming abusive and calling me an 'ignorant moron', is hardly conducive to opening the issue up for sensible discussion. By such a statement it is showing how narrow-minded to any other opinion you are.

Believe it or not, I was actually on your side and agree with some of the things you say - you wouldn't know that because you haven't read the previous pages as you have mentioned - but considering how you present your points and calling people names (not just me, but others as well) and throwing abuse around like so, I am not surprised so many are in disagreement. Personally I have no support for such an approach.

Also, since you haven't read the previous pages - you say "if your gona call it mental health" etc...

It IS a mental health issue and we have discussed the issues with these so-called "highly educated" doctors you refer to - many many pages ago as well. (Since you completed a dissertation on this, you must have already known it was a mental health issue anyway).

It would probably help if you would go back and take time to read the previous pages then come back to the discussion with a more level-headed attitude.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 221
I think ur just sick pricks! When ur kids hav dyslexia and ADHD - after u hav tortured them with ur 'strict punishment' and u realise they still behave the same way- because it's a condition - and some idiot wants to debate whether it's really a 'real' condition or w/e yr dumb point is..... You will feel sick!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 222
Original post by Super-D
I think ur just sick pricks! When ur kids hav dyslexia and ADHD - after u hav tortured them with ur 'strict punishment' and u realise they still behave the same way- because it's a condition - and some idiot wants to debate whether it's really a 'real' condition or w/e yr dumb point is..... You will feel sick!

If you are referring back the OP he did not say it was not a condition, if you are not referring to the OP be good if you could quote the post you are reading.
One interesting thing about ADHD is that some medications actually act as a stimulant but have the opposite effect on people with ADHD :dontknow: To me, that suggests that there is some sort of abnormality within their brains.
Original post by Cattty
oh really so youve seen people beating children? is that what you get off to?
yawn, your 'evidence' really bores me.

i did about ADHD for my dissertation so i did extensive research on it. clearly more than you have done (if any- your obviously talking ****)
plus i can offer myself up as research. i come from a good family- mums a teacher, dads a graphic designer (professional educated people). i went to school and grew up in a middle class suburban area.
i had a great, secure and happy childhood. so there are no external factors to why i have ADHD, just genetic medical ones. btw i have been told all this by psychologists and paediatricians, etc. far more educated people than you are claiming to be.
my dad clearly has ADHD and so did my grandma and grandad and my cousin- a genetic link? i think so.

i have a far better personal insight into ADHD than any muppet who wrote the 'papers' that youve read. do you really think i would choose to miss out on important points in lecutres or not be able to listen to all of friends conversations? what about having some teaching assistant sat next to me when i was at high school, like i needed 'supervising', do you really think i would have spared myself the embarrassment of that if i could?

fyi harsh punishment does not work. confronting a child with ADHD is the wost possible thing you can do. they either kick off or become totally unco-operative. evidence- children i have worked with. oh n also myself- i remember being screamed at by a teacher in yr1 and guess what? instead of being a model pupil, i screamed back- big surprise.

claiming you have done reseach here makes me laugh. you clearly havent done any. you are talking to someone who has not only done extensive research on the subject but also has a personal insight into it (which these people who wrote those 'papers' you said youve read clearly havent)

Oh look, you just post unsubstantiated opinion and no sources. Again, no surprise here.
See, you don't have ADHD, just no self control hence not being able to even begin to read my sources. Well good luck in life with such an attitude as giving up will get you no where.

Smacking a child once or spraying them with cold water is not beating them, it is simply a punishment......and it is one they learn from very quickly and don't forget.

Have I done any research? Herpaderp because those sources where pulled out of thin air :rolleyes: You are the one who sounds utterly ill informed and guessing. You claim to have done research on it so where is the evidence? :confused:
Actually you forget to mention the key part of your childhood - what was your discipline like. If your dad has "ADHD" then I doubt he raised you properly, and if you know anything about genetics, it would be very rare/impossible for a daughter to inherit a genetic disorder from their father.

Now you are saying you know more than acclaimed researchers and peer reviewed papers? That is just arrogant and/or denial. It makes you look so desperate it is almost sad.
And yes, you do choose to miss them. Many people argue that you use ADHD as an excuse as to why you can not rather than admitting the problem lies with you and that responsibility falls solely on yourself. By claiming to have ADHD you displace all responsibility and guilt thus try less.

Harsh punishment does work and confronting them IS the best thing to do. As I have said, I have seen such action make these children become star pupils. Not confronting them is why they have the problem in the first place! Try "kicking off" when the person is bigger and stronger then you.

Anyway either post sources or some evidence as your argument is no better than claiming god or some fairy did it :rofl:
Reply 225
Original post by ufo2012
If you had bothered to read the previous pages like some other people on here have taken time to do, you would have realised that not everyone is against it as you seem to think.

You have arrived in the middle of a debate on the topic and seem to believe that everyone is against you or against ADHD when all we were/are trying to do is debate the topic properly, each may have their own point of view but that is all part of a debate.

Becoming abusive and calling me an 'ignorant moron' however, is hardly conducive to opening the issue up for sensible discussion. By such a statement it is showing how narrow-minded to any other opinion you are.

Believe it or not, I was actually on your side and agree with some of the things you say - you wouldn't know that because you haven't read the previous pages as you have mentioned - but considering how you present your points and calling people names and throwing abuse around like so, I am not surprised so many are in disagreement. Personally I have no support for such an approach.

Also, since you haven't read the previous pages - you say "if your gona call it mental health" etc...

It IS a mental health issue and we have discussed the issues with these so-called "highly educated" doctors you refer to - many many pages ago as well. (Since you completed a dissertation on this, you must have already known it was a mental health issue anyway).

It would probably help if you would go back and take time to read the previous pages then come back to the discussion with a more level-headed attitude.

it is thought to be a mental health condition, when in fact it is a neurological disorder. it is diagnosed by a psychiatrist so many people categorize it as that

mental illness is defined as: any of various disorders in which a person's thoughts, emotions, or behaviour are so abnormal as to cause suffering to himself, herself, or other people

i wouldnt say a most people with ADHD are suffering as such- their used to it. if people are gona see it as mental health, then the same should be said for dyslexia or dyspraxia or aspergers. when infact these are specific developmental difficulties (aka specific learning difficulties) ADHD is also categorised as this. just cos some people are on medication for it doesnt mean all are.

if you are agreeing with some of my points then i apologise for what i said before, i have found it quite offensive what some people on this forum have said and i am just shocked that people still think its a 'fake' disorder
Reply 226
Original post by Jimbo1234

Harsh punishment does work and confronting them IS the best thing to do. As I have said, I have seen such action make these children become star pupils. Not confronting them is why they have the problem in the first place! Try "kicking off" when the person is bigger and stronger then you.

Not saying this is always the solution, but it sure can be part of it.

It definitely works for some. :top:
Original post by Cattty

but they do get treated differently because they have the condition (wow!!!) if you have a kid in class who has autism, they would be treated differently, a child with dyslexia would be treated differently, a child with cerebral palsy would be treated differently. so guess what? a child with ADHD would be treated differently (shocking!!!)

Utter rubbish. I have Autism and have never been treated differently. Why would I? My intelligence isn't affected and I don't need extra support because of it. I used to know someone with CP who wasn't treated differently either. The only person I know with CP who is treated differently is because hers is so severe that she needs a lot of help.
Reply 228
Oh look, you just post unsubstantiated opinion and no sources. Again, no surprise here.
See, you don't have ADHD, just no self control hence not being able to even begin to read my sources. Well good luck in life with such an attitude as giving up will get you no where.

Smacking a child once or spraying them with cold water is not beating them, it is simply a punishment......and it is one they learn from very quickly and don't forget.

Have I done any research? Herpaderp because those sources where pulled out of thin air :rolleyes: You are the one who sounds utterly ill informed and guessing. You claim to have done research on it so where is the evidence? :confused:
Actually you forget to mention the key part of your childhood - what was your discipline like. If your dad has "ADHD" then I doubt he raised you properly, and if you know anything about genetics, it would be very rare/impossible for a daughter to inherit a genetic disorder from their father.

Now you are saying you know more than acclaimed researchers and peer reviewed papers? That is just arrogant and/or denial. It makes you look so desperate it is almost sad.
And yes, you do choose to miss them. Many people argue that you use ADHD as an excuse as to why you can not rather than admitting the problem lies with you and that responsibility falls solely on yourself. By claiming to have ADHD you displace all responsibility and guilt thus try less.

Anyway either post sources or some evidence as your argument is no better than claiming god or some fairy did it :rofl:

'kicking off when the person is bigger and stronger than you'? as i said before yes i have done that numerous times.

fyi discipline as a child was quite strict (oh and i did get smacked as a child- didnt cure me did it)

spraying them with cold water (wtf????) god i hope you never have kids.

seeing as you only see internet articles as 'proof' heres some reading 4 u- http://www.excellence-earlychildhood.ca/documents/Page6Vol4No2Oct05ANG.pdf

http://www.simplyadhd.co.uk/2009/06/admitting-adhd-exists.html

http://www.lifespan.org/articles-and-tips/parenting/adhd/adhd-myths

but im guessing you read all the daft articles backed up by no proof, that uneducated people have put up.

and you saying that it is rare/impossible to inherit stuff from your fathers side, just proves how little you know. anyone can inherit stuff from either parents, whether its green eyes, curly hair, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, more likely to get cancer later in life, being good at art or music or something. the list is endless
but seeing as you only see stuff somone over the internet has written heres some 'proof' http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002048.htm

seriously your just embarrassing yourself, cos everything you are saying is wrong.
so youve gone on saying i have no proof, wheres yours? (and btw i dont want to bother reading some daft website which has no credability- ive only put credable ones up)
Reply 229
Original post by OU Student
Utter rubbish. I have Autism and have never been treated differently. Why would I? My intelligence isn't affected and I don't need extra support because of it. I used to know someone with CP who wasn't treated differently either. The only person I know with CP who is treated differently is because hers is so severe that she needs a lot of help.

if you were diagnosed at school you would have had an individual education plan, the school would have recieved funding for you, and maybe even had a TA employed to help you.

so for any of the problems you face having autism, what if people were claiming it didnt exist and that you should simply learn to be 'normal'?
is that possible? no, and it isnt for me either. my intelligence isnt affected either, but not all disorders are either about intelligence or physical problems, just because they arnt doesnt make them not real
Original post by Cattty
if you were diagnosed at school you would have had an individual education plan, the school would have recieved funding for you, and maybe even had a TA employed to help you.

so for any of the problems you face having autism, what if people were claiming it didnt exist and that you should simply learn to be 'normal'?
is that possible? no, and it isnt for me either. my intelligence isnt affected either, but not all disorders are either about intelligence or physical problems, just because they arnt doesnt make them not real

Not everyone on the spectrum needs an IEP or SEN statement. I didn't and neither did my brother.
Reply 231
Not everyone on the spectrum needs an IEP or SEN statement. I didn't and neither did my brother.

they dont always tell you that your on one. you might not have been statemented but the school would have to make resonable adjustments and an iep to help you meet targets on things you find difficult.

im nearly a teacher and i worked as a TA with an autistic child for 2 yrs, we never told him about any adjustments that we had to make for him. you just dont do it as a teacher, you dont need to discuss it with the child unless it is something they need to hear, you just get on with it.

whether you were on an iep or not, you teacher would have had to take your autism into account when you were experiencing any problems, to see if they were down to the autism or because of something else.
Original post by Cattty
they dont always tell you that your on one. you might not have been statemented but the school would have to make resonable adjustments and an iep to help you meet targets on things you find difficult.

im nearly a teacher and i worked as a TA with an autistic child for 2 yrs, we never told him about any adjustments that we had to make for him. you just dont do it as a teacher, you dont need to discuss it with the child unless it is something they need to hear, you just get on with it.

whether you were on an iep or not, you teacher would have had to take your autism into account when you were experiencing any problems, to see if they were down to the autism or because of something else.

I was diagnosed at 23. So what you're saying is irrelevant.
Original post by Cattty
'kicking off when the person is bigger and stronger than you'? as i said before yes i have done that numerous times.

...because you know they won't hit back. But when they do, you learn pretty quickly or Darwin will take care of you.

fyi discipline as a child was quite strict (oh and i did get smacked as a child- didnt cure me did it)

spraying them with cold water (wtf????) god i hope you never have kids.

Fill a ADHD kids wetsuit full of freezing cold water amazingly gets them to behave like baby Jesus himself. Why is this? Is there some form of super Ritalin hiding within freezing water? :rolleyes:

seeing as you only see internet articles as 'proof' heres some reading 4 u- http://www.excellence-earlychildhood.ca/documents/Page6Vol4No2Oct05ANG.pdf

http://www.simplyadhd.co.uk/2009/06/admitting-adhd-exists.html

http://www.lifespan.org/articles-and-tips/parenting/adhd/adhd-myths

but im guessing you read all the daft articles backed up by no proof, that uneducated people have put up.

and you saying that it is rare/impossible to inherit stuff from your fathers side, just proves how little you know. anyone can inherit stuff from either parents, whether its green eyes, curly hair, cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, more likely to get cancer later in life, being good at art or music or something. the list is endless
but seeing as you only see stuff somone over the internet has written heres some 'proof' http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002048.htm

seriously your just embarrassing yourself, cos everything you are saying is wrong.
so youve gone on saying i have no proof, wheres yours? (and btw i dont want to bother reading some daft website which has no credability- ive only put credable ones up)

:giggle:
Sorry hun, but articles from random websites are not the same as peer reviewed papers. Find some real sources and get back to me.
If you knew anything about genetics then you would realise that the female genome is dominant and it would be very rare to inherit a problem from your fathers side.

Yes, all the papers I link are "wrong", just like how evolution is "wrong" and dinosaurs did not exist and Fairyland is real.
To claim that papers have no credibly shows that either you are in utter denial or are horribly ignorant of science and have no understanding of science works. Which one is it? :confused: Seeing that you did a dissertation on ADHD, you could not possibly fail to understand how papers and journals work (unless that was a lie or you went to an absolutely terrible uni), thus I would have to guess you are in denial over the entire topic.
Reply 234
...because you know they won't hit back. But when they do, you learn pretty quickly or Darwin will take care of you.

Fill a ADHD kids wetsuit full of freezing cold water amazingly gets them to behave like baby Jesus himself. Why is this? Is there some form of super Ritalin hiding within freezing water? :rolleyes:

:giggle:
Sorry hun, but articles from random websites are not the same as peer reviewed papers. Find some real sources and get back to me.
If you knew anything about genetics then you would realise that the female genome is dominant and it would be very rare to inherit a problem from your fathers side.

Yes, all the papers I link are "wrong", just like how evolution is "wrong" and dinosaurs did not exist and Fairyland is real.
To claim that papers have no credibly shows that either you are in utter denial or are horribly ignorant of science and have no understanding of science works. Which one is it? :confused: Seeing that you did a dissertation on ADHD, you could not possibly fail to understand how papers and journals work (unless that was a lie or you went to an absolutely terrible uni), thus I would have to guess you are in denial over the entire topic.

- did you not go to high school? you do about recessive genes at GCSE level. lets look at an example- cystic fibrosis- if one parent (mother OR father is a carrier) then you have a 1 in 4 chance of having the condition. :rolleyes:
if you havent inherited anything from your father, then he probably isnt your father :stupido2:

you said the papers you claim to have read were inconclusive. find me a paper written by a credable source that completely denies the existence of ADHD, then maybe you'l have an argument here. cos so far you have absolutly nothing. and yes i did use papers and journals in my dissertation. would you like to see some?
http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1998-04437-003
actually maybe give you a link to a google journal search, i cant see any here which deny the existence of adhd- http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=academic+journals+on+adhd&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=kRoyULvmK6a_0QXm04HoDA&ved=0CFkQgQMwAA

heres another one- http://www.psychiatrycpd.co.uk/learningmodules/adultadhd.aspx this is for psychiatrists and mental health professionals

you still havent presented any evidence here, why? cos you havent got any :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 235
I was diagnosed at 23. So what you're saying is irrelevant.

my point was that any child with a diagnosis of SEN will have reasonable adjustments made for them at school, this applies to ADHD as well
Original post by Cattty
did you not go to high school? you do about recessive genes at GCSE level. lets look at an example- cystic fibrosis- if one parent (mother OR father is a carrier) then you have a 1 in 4 chance of having the condition. :rolleyes:
if you havent inherited anything from your father, then he probably isnt your father :stupido2:

you said the papers you claim to have read were inconclusive. find me a paper written by a credable source that completely denies the existence of ADHD, then maybe you'l have an argument here. cos so far you have absolutly nothing. and yes i did use papers and journals in my dissertation. would you like to see some?
http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1998-04437-003
actually maybe give you a link to a google journal search, i cant see any here which deny the existence of adhd- http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=academic+journals+on+adhd&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=kRoyULvmK6a_0QXm04HoDA&ved=0CFkQgQMwAA

heres another one- http://www.psychiatrycpd.co.uk/learningmodules/adultadhd.aspx this is for psychiatrists and mental health professionals

you still havent presented any evidence here, why? cos you havent got any :rolleyes:

So you don't understand the size difference of the male and female chromosome and due to this there if there is any faults on the male chromosome, then the female one will correct the fault, hence why women tend to be carries, and men tend to be sufferers.....but no, I'm the one who didn't pay attention in school :teehee:

Those papers where from highly creditable sources. If they are inconclusive then enough said - the condition is either does not exist or is so small that simply discipline would correct it. You are the one who needs to provide sources (actual sources, and you should know what they are if you have done a thesis) now on the condition.

:facepalm2: Oh look, papers that are all about statistics and none about the biology behind ADHD. You are aware that does not help your defence as the question is whether or not ADHD exists, not how often is the term given to kids. This is what you need to be looking at.

Hun, two papers on the biology of ADHD is evidence. To claim otherwise is denial.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 237
So you don't understand the size difference of the male and female chromosome and due to this there if there is any faults on the male chromosome, then the female one will correct the fault, hence why women tend to be carries, and men tend to be sufferers.....but no, I'm the one who didn't pay attention in school :teehee:

Those papers where from highly creditable sources. If they are inconclusive then enough said - the condition is either does not exist or is so small that simply discipline would correct it. You are the one who needs to provide sources (actual sources, and you should know what they are if you have done a thesis) now on the condition.

:facepalm2: Oh look, papers that are all about statistics and none about the biology behind ADHD. You are aware that does not help your defence as the question is whether or not ADHD exists, not how often is the term given to kids. This is what you need to be looking at.

Hun, two papers on the biology of ADHD is evidence. To claim otherwise is denial.

none of those papers deny its existence. you clearly have no sources, and you have no arguement. i dont see a link to a journal or a paper in your post (or any)

either your a deluded ignorant moron or your most likely a troll (and not a very good one- maybe get a life?)
as your arguement has no basis (you have shown me no evidence) i dont see the point it continuing this conversation- why argue with idiots?

i just hope you have a child with ADHD one day and you can see for yourself how 'harsh punishments' dont work when they grow up to hate you
Original post by Cattty
none of those papers deny its existence. you clearly have no sources, and you have no arguement. i dont see a link to a journal or a paper in your post (or any)

either your a deluded ignorant moron or your most likely a troll (and not a very good one- maybe get a life?)
as your arguement has no basis (you have shown me no evidence) i dont see the point it continuing this conversation- why argue with idiots?

i just hope you have a child with ADHD one day and you can see for yourself how 'harsh punishments' dont work when they grow up to hate you

:facepalm2: Do you not read what I post?
I said they show that chemically ADHD shows nothing conclusive ergo it has not been proven to exist and looks like there are no signs that it does. That is more evidence than you have shown - statistics and opinion.

How are papers no basis? :curious: Yet you accuse me of being the troll when you will accept nothing as evidence. That is absolute denial, and you also claim that I am lying about seeing ADHD kids all of a sudden being cured when you punish them. Freud would have loved to study you.
Reply 239
Original post by Cattty

I wasn't sure who to quote here but this seems to be the most relevant to my point, so I'll quote this since it has closest relevance.

IEPs and Statements, not to mention the label of "SEN" were not always in existence and I think this is where part of the issue comes in with people's frustrations on this topic.

All of a sudden these things seemed to appear in mainstream schools and in a parents eyes, one child seems to be treated differently than another simply because they are statemented.

Although this is bordering on the fair/unfair and life's unfair argument, the more frustrating part is that certain parents really push and drive hard to get their kids statemented and onto higher level IEPs sometimes by fakery, just to claim the advantages out of doing so. Every parent wants the best for their child and this is understandable, but using and abusing the system like so is just plain fraud.

And I think this is where the frustration stems from overall, even to me.

It's not the genuine people, its the fakers playing the system going out for everything they can get (better education, more attention, extra time, free laptops etc.) that are the frustrating part.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending