The Student Room Group

Rodney King found dead - man whos beating sparked the LA riots

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18478979

Los Angeles riots figure Rodney King found dead
Breaking news

Rodney King, the figure at the centre of the Los Angeles riots 20 years ago, has been found dead aged 47, according to US media reports.

His fiancee found his body at the bottom of a swimming pool, but there was no sign of foul play.

King was a victim of police brutality in 1991, but the officers involved were acquitted the following year.

The verdict triggered clashes between black youths and police which left more than 50 dead and thousands injured.
Reply 1
More riots expected, this time against mother nature?
Reply 2
It's a conspiracy.
Reply 3
Whenever I hear about Rodney King I can only think of American History X and Derek's rant about him
Reply 4
You know its funny this is in the news, because I bet this guy or Fidel Lopez never will be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Oliver_Denny
Reply 5
Original post by prog2djent
You know its funny this is in the news, because I bet this guy or Fidel Lopez never will be

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Oliver_Denny

what happened there is a case in point for capital punishment. Truly horrific!
Reply 6
Original post by cl_steele
what happened there is a case in point for capital punishment. Truly horrific!

Despite the fact I don't agree with capital punishment,
I personally think making criminals of that calibre do something better for humanity is a better repayment to society and the vitims than killing them, say, making them build some sort of landmark by hand or they'll have their hands cut off, doing the jobs no one wants or can even phyically do (without injury) whilst having stuff thrown at them, y'know to really demoralise them, which is probably worse than death, but then they may commit suicide, but atleast they have done so voluntarily, which why I'm against capital punishment because the state should never have the power to take a life.

Anyway, we are seeing Rodney King on various influential news sources, but not Reg Denny. Its the same with the trayvon martin case, we see trayvon being killed by a white/hispanic, but not the white people killed in repsonse, or the Stephen Lawrence case, what about James Duhram killed by a mob of non-whites in response?

A.G.E.N.D.A
Reply 7
I personally think making criminals of that calibre do something better for humanity is a better repayment to society and the vitims than killing them, say, making them build some sort of landmark by hand or they'll have their hands cut off, doing the jobs no one wants or can even phyically do (without injury) whilst having stuff thrown at them, y'know to really demoralise them, which is probably worse than death, but then they may commit suicide, but atleast they have done so voluntarily, which why I'm against capital punishment because the state should never have the power to take a life.

Anyway, we are seeing Rodney King on various influential news sources, but not Reg Denny. Its the same with the trayvon martin case, we see trayvon being killed by a white/hispanic, but not the white people killed in repsonse, or the Stephen Lawrence case, what about James Duhram killed by a mob of non-whites in response?

A.G.E.N.D.A

to be fair that does sound somewhat more productive, could always dump them in the stocks :rolleyes:
but i do see your point, i cant remember the last time, if ever, ive heard of a case like one of the ones youve mentioned ever making more than the local news...

A.G.E.N.D.A

Ugh. No no no no. 'Revenge' killings are never going to receive the same publicity as the events that trigger them because they are generally far clearer open-and-shut cases. The Martin case blew up because Zimmerman was acquitted, the Rodney King case blew up because it was an extreme and obvious case of police brutality and the perpetrators were acquitted despite video evidence. Lawrence was a similar story. You see how they all their cases contain some kind of controversial twist? That's why they get publicity. They can't massively publicise every inter-racial murder that happens, ever. There needs to be an element of controversy for it to be a story. It just so happens that black people tend to be on the receiving end of these sorts of injustices more often than white people. Really, just think about it logically for a couple of minutes before getting all MEDIA CONSPIRACY and ****. Interestingly, Reginald Denny was actually only one of several victims of the same group of people that night, and the only white one. Only he received publicity. Strange?

Also, just whose agenda is this? The left wing media? ahahahahahaha
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Captain Haddock
It just so happens that black people tend to be on the receiving end of these sorts of injustices more often than white people.

I agree, but black-black or asian-asian, Hispanic-Hispanic, Hispanic-Black or vice versa (especially in the American south west) occurs more than white on black crime, but black-white race related crime, I think, occurs more often in the US, and Asian-white crime in the UK, rather than the other way round.

Agenda was in response to another person in another tab haha.
I agree, .

Well then anything you say after this is irrelevant because that is precisely the reason the stories you mentioned received so much publicity compared to the more clear-cut cases of racially motivated murder. It doesn't matter which race is more often the victim of racist attacks. The significant, common feature of these cases is that there was some sort of institutionalised prejudice/miscarriage of justice, real or perceived, involved. Without that, there is no story. The anti-white media conspiracy does not exist.

Latest

Trending

Trending