The Student Room Group

Doctor Who: David Tennant vs Matt Smith

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I like them both, they're just really different. Although I was waaayy more obsessed with it when Tennant was around and some of the storylines have seemed a bit slapdash recently :rolleyes:

However, out of the revamped series', Christopher Eccleston beats the other two hands down. Such a shame he only did the one series, he would have been incredible!

Original franchise: gotta be Hartnell. Dark n' creepy.
For all you David Tennant Fans! Here's a society I made and a thread...where we can talk all about! :biggrin:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=2066
1.Matt Smith
2.Peter Davison
3.David Tennant
4.Colin Baker
5.Patrick Troughton
6.Jon Pertwee
7.Paul McCann
8.Christopher Eccleston
9.Tom Baker
10.Sylvestor Mccoy
11.William Hartnell
Original post by smithsmith
David tennent ftw, iv noticed the current series with matt smith have been dummed down to make it more appealing for children, but less so for older people.

Totally agree with you there. Some of it is just cringe-worthy :tongue:
Original post by smithsmith
David tennent ftw, iv noticed the current series with matt smith have been dummed down to make it more appealing for children, but less so for older people.

I completely disagree with you there because as a devoted whovian myself,having watched all available episodes except the newly found 2,I was struggling to understand the complexity of the plots in the recent series's and have heard about parents struggling to teach the complex plots,which children would undoubtedly find very hard to follow.Also,they added a lot more romance into the series and there have been lots of complaints,that the series has become too adult.
Reply 65
Original post by Dalek1099
I completely disagree with you there because as a devoted whovian myself,having watched all available episodes except the newly found 2,I was struggling to understand the complexity of the plots in the recent series's and have heard about parents struggling to teach the complex plots,which children would undoubtedly find very hard to follow.Also,they added a lot more romance into the series and there have been lots of complaints,that the series has become too adult.

That's true actually. Everybody was complaining that the new series was hard to follow.
I think the fact that I've barely watched an episode with Matt Smith in it, but have watched every Christopher Eccelstone and David Tennant one at least two times over kind of speaks for it self really. Although the writing has changed a lot so maybe that swung it too. I agree that Tennant was a tough act to follow, can't really speak for the Doctors before because I've never watched them *shock horror to the devoted whovians*
(edited 11 years ago)
Nevermind David Tennant or Matt Smith. John Barrowman all the way :wink:
Reply 68
Original post by EmilyStevens
Nevermind David Tennant or Matt Smith. John Barrowman all the way :wink:

I like this :biggrin:
Reply 69
100 percent David Tennant.

He was just perfect, I think. His expressions, looks, clothes, voice, hyperactivity... Everything was completely perfect. I don't think there has been or will ever be a doctor that can beat him, and I just think he was made for that role.

However, I like how every actor brings their own elements into playing the character. I started watching when David Tennant was the doctor, so I went back and watched some older episodes and really liked some of the other doctors too.

However I just don't think Matt Smith is very right for the role. I watched 1 series of him in it as the doctor, and tried to watch the next one but I have sadly stopped watching Doctor Who. I just don't really like the direction it's going in, they changed too much.
I love Matt Smith's Doctor - but I admit the storylines aren't as good anymore. I think if it was Russel T Davies still writing the show, more people would like Matt.
Original post by Cephalus
I like this :biggrin:

Torchwood fan? :biggrin:
Tom Baker FTW!
Reply 73
Torchwood fan? :biggrin:

I absolutely love Torchwood :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jack Harkness just makes the whole show :smile:
The crucial difference between Tennant and Smith is that Tennant was far better at being serious, solemn and accusatory. And Smith's less serious interpretation irritates me, because the contrast isn't there compared to Tennant's take.

Smith misses out on these sort of faces/ reactions (the ones which made Tennant so brilliant):

Spoiler

I don't think Smith captures that side of the character very well.

Also, Tennant's doctor who dresses better :wink:

(There have been worse doctors than Smith, but Tennant is my favourite).
Original post by Cephalus
I absolutely love Torchwood :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Jack Harkness just makes the whole show :smile:

100% agree!! I made my friend watch all 4 series in a weekend and now she's hooked :biggrin: Jack and Ianto <3 <3
Reply 76
100% agree!! I made my friend watch all 4 series in a weekend and now she's hooked :biggrin: Jack and Ianto <3 <3

I know. I was in tears when Ianto died. It was so emotional. Jack held him in his arms :cry:
Reply 77
Sir David Tennant for me, I've watched three episode featuring Matt Smith and, well, just have not been able to adapt to the new Doctor.
David Tennant over Matt Smith, but Amy Pond over Rose/Martha (Amy and Donna are pretty close imo).
For all you David Tennant Fans.....I made a society :biggrin: Please feel free to join! :wink: :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=2066

Quick Reply

Latest