The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GANFYD
Nobody can say, as this depends on your interview. How likely are you to get an interview? This depends a lot on your UKCAT result, and you haven't even sat this yet! There is nothing in your results so far that would preclude you obtaining a place at Med School, but that is all we can say at this stage. Come back when you have your UKCAT results and we might be able to offer more advice. Good luck!

sorry, you are correct. Assume i get 700 on average. Do you think you can provide an answer???
Original post by HateOCR
sorry, you are correct. Assume i get 700 on average. Do you think you can provide an answer???

Sure, but assumptions are no good to anybody! Come back when you have your UKCAT score, and we will try and help :smile:
Original post by HateOCR
thanks for your reply, you gave me a lot of confidence. I spoke to a QMUL medicine student and he told me i wouldnt be able to get in if i wasnt predicted A*A*A. Whats your response to what he said? Also is the fact i am doing 3 AS levels instead of 4 putting me at a disadvantage? thanks again

Barts use UCAS tariff/UKCAT score 50/50 in selecting for interview, so the higher your predicted A levels, the higher your UCAS tariff, but it is not true you won't get in if not predicted A*A*A. A lower UCAS tariff can be compensated for by a higher UKCAT score, and vice versa.
See here for more info on what sort of scores were successful last year:

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/media/admissions-data-from-the-2016-admissions-cycle.pdf
Hey, I'm a scottish student just going into sixth year hoping to apply for medicine. I only decided that I wanted to do Medicine around half way into 5th year and wasn't taking Higher Chemistry then, so I am taking it this year instead. I know from emailing universities and through their websites (Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and St Andrews) that they accept missing sciences taken in sixth year and through email have been told that by doing this does not put me at a disadvantage. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of applying for medicine with Chemistry in your 6th year, and whether they were successful or not.

My current standings are as follows:
7 A's at National 5
Higher:
Maths: A
English: A
Modern Studies: A
Biology: A
Business Management: A

Taking AH Biology and Modern Studies and Higher Chemistry in 6th year.
And I have work experience within a hospital, a paid job and volunteering as a mentor at school and a local disabilities charity.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi. I am unsure which university I should apply to with the following stats as my UKCAT wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

GCSE: 6A*s and 3As
BIO-A*
CHEMISTRY- A*
PHYSICS- A*
MATHS- A*
ENGLISH LANG- A
ENGLISH LIT- A
FRENCH- A
RS- A*
HISTORY- A*

AS- ABBB
BIO-A
HISTORY- B (going to get this remarked as I was one mark off an A)
CHEM-B
MATHS-B (one mark off an A as well)

UKCAT AVG Score: 657.5
VR-530
DM- 680
QR- 710
AR- 710
SJT-BAND 2
If you could help, it would be very helpful. Thanks.
Original post by Soms123
Hi. I am unsure which university I should apply to with the following stats as my UKCAT wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

GCSE: 6A*s and 3As
BIO-A*
CHEMISTRY- A*
PHYSICS- A*
MATHS- A*
ENGLISH LANG- A
ENGLISH LIT- A
FRENCH- A
RS- A*
HISTORY- A*

AS- ABBB
BIO-A
HISTORY- B (going to get this remarked as I was one mark off an A)
CHEM-B
MATHS-B (one mark off an A as well)

UKCAT AVG Score: 657.5
VR-530
DM- 680
QR- 710
AR- 710
SJT-BAND 2
If you could help, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

Hey, congratulations on your really good results! Your UKCAT score is actually very good :h: Of course, it's not quite good enough for universities such as Kings, Newcastle, Sheffield, Barts, but it's still a good one!
I would suggest looking into universities such as UEA, maybe Plymouth (although if I remember correctly, they look at individual subsection scores, so your VR may be too low, but look at previous trends and make sure). Maybe take a look into HYMS, although I'm not completely certain on their scoring process, but you may stand a good chance? That said, definitely look into it yourself, as I may be wrong :lol:
If you are going to take the BMAT, then BSMS, Lancaster, and Imperial may be good choices?

What sort of work experience and volunteering do you have? If you have a good amount, maybe Liverpool, Keele or Bristol could be good, if you're confident on your personal statement, but they are always risky choices because of this.

I would, however, avoid the really GCSE heavy universities (Oxford, Edinburgh, Cardiff) and universities such as Leicester or Nottingham that score your entire application, as while you make a very good applicant, you have a few week points which would make it risky to apply to such places. I would also err on the side of caution with any of the Scottish universities, as for RUK applicants they tend to be quite UKCAT heavy, but if you are interested, definitely do so research into their admission processes.
Original post by Gogregg
Hey, congratulations on your really good results! Your UKCAT score is actually very good :h: Of course, it's not quite good enough for universities such as Kings, Newcastle, Sheffield, Barts, but it's still a good one!
I would suggest looking into universities such as UEA, maybe Plymouth (although if I remember correctly, they look at individual subsection scores, so your VR may be too low, but look at previous trends and make sure). Maybe take a look into HYMS, although I'm not completely certain on their scoring process, but you may stand a good chance? That said, definitely look into it yourself, as I may be wrong :lol:
If you are going to take the BMAT, then BSMS, Lancaster, and Imperial may be good choices?

What sort of work experience and volunteering do you have? If you have a good amount, maybe Liverpool, Keele or Bristol could be good, if you're confident on your personal statement, but they are always risky choices because of this.

I would, however, avoid the really GCSE heavy universities (Oxford, Edinburgh, Cardiff) and universities such as Leicester or Nottingham that score your entire application, as while you make a very good applicant, you have a few week points which would make it risky to apply to such places. I would also err on the side of caution with any of the Scottish universities, as for RUK applicants they tend to be quite UKCAT heavy, but if you are interested, definitely do so research into their admission processes.

I have a good amount of work experience.
-Volunteered at a care home for 2 years and still doing it. (2 hours every week)
-One week at the GP surgery
-One week at A&E department in a hospital
-One week in Neurology
-One week in Cardiology

I also attended a taster day at St George's University + a medical ethics workshop at Royal College of Surgeons.

Do you think this amount of work experience is sufficient? I was also thinking about applying to St George's, do you think that is a sensible option?

Finally, thank you for that detailed response, that was very helpful :biggrin:
Original post by Soms123
I have a good amount of work experience.
-Volunteered at a care home for 2 years and still doing it. (2 hours every week)
-One week at the GP surgery
-One week at A&E department in a hospital
-One week in Neurology
-One week in Cardiology

I also attended a taster day at St George's University + a medical ethics workshop at Royal College of Surgeons.

Do you think this amount of work experience is sufficient? I was also thinking about applying to St George's, do you think that is a sensible option?

Finally, thank you for that detailed response, that was very helpful :biggrin:

That's loads of work experience, that's more than enough for anyway! If you can reflect on it all and what you learnt, I'm sure your PS will be outstanding, also!

SGUL would be a safe option for interview, I think. Unless their UKCAT requirement increases again, which I think it did last year? Check up on that :smile:
GCSE - 5A* 4A 1B 1C
AS Level - BBDD (I know...) Biology, History, Chemistry, Maths (hopefully I'll get predicted higher because I know I can do better than that)
UKCAT/BMAT - not sat yet
Work experience - worked in a pharmacy for over a year, shadowed a consultant (including getting to see some operations :-0), volunteer in school library for 3 years, looking at getting some work experience in a nursery/hospice, medicine information day, loads of team/leadership-oriented stuff (NASA space school, air cadets, deputy head girl, gold DofE etc.)

I was thinking of applying to Nottingham, Lancaster, Manchester and QUB but with my AS results that's probably all going to change. Is it even worth me applying? If anyone could give me advice on good places to apply then that would be great, thanks :-)
Original post by ciaraisnotonfire
GCSE - 5A* 4A 1B 1C
AS Level - BBDD (I know...) Biology, History, Chemistry, Maths (hopefully I'll get predicted higher because I know I can do better than that)
UKCAT/BMAT - not sat yet
Work experience - worked in a pharmacy for over a year, shadowed a consultant (including getting to see some operations :-0), volunteer in school library for 3 years, looking at getting some work experience in a nursery/hospice, medicine information day, loads of team/leadership-oriented stuff (NASA space school, air cadets, deputy head girl, gold DofE etc.)

I was thinking of applying to Nottingham, Lancaster, Manchester and QUB but with my AS results that's probably all going to change. Is it even worth me applying? If anyone could give me advice on good places to apply then that would be great, thanks :-)

If you can get predicted AAA to include chemistry and biology then it may be worth applying this year- med schools will not give offers to anyone who is not predicted AAA (unless you are applying to a foundation programme and that is a whole different matter). However if you do you will need to get some long term work experience that is more relevant to medicine asap in order to be able to reflect on it in your ps.

If you cannot get predicted AAA then you can work your a$$ off and get those 3As and apply next year.
Original post by theresheglows
If you can get predicted AAA to include chemistry and biology then it may be worth applying this year- med schools will not give offers to anyone who is not predicted AAA (unless you are applying to a foundation programme and that is a whole different matter). However if you do you will need to get some long term work experience that is more relevant to medicine asap in order to be able to reflect on it in your ps.

If you cannot get predicted AAA then you can work your a$$ off and get those 3As and apply next year.

Ace thank you :-) any ideas of where to apply that doesn't look at as grades?
Hi can someone help me, I know I haven't got my ukcat result yet but can someone give me advice on where to apply with the rest of my stats, so I can know what to aim for in the ukcat. Help greatly appreciated:

GCSEs: A^, 10A*, 2As
AS: AAAB
Predicted A level: A*A*AA bio, chem, physics, epq
PS: international hospital 2 weeks, uk hospital 1 week, cardiologist, volunteering, NCS (average personal statement)

If I got about 600 in ukcat where should I apply? And what about if I got > 700? Is there any where I should definitely consider or not consider and any general advice? :smile:
Original post by DvsAmjed
Hi can someone help me, I know I haven't got my ukcat result yet but can someone give me advice on where to apply with the rest of my stats, so I can know what to aim for in the ukcat. Help greatly appreciated:

GCSEs: A^, 10A*, 2As
AS: AAAB
Predicted A level: A*A*AA bio, chem, physics, epq
PS: international hospital 2 weeks, uk hospital 1 week, cardiologist, volunteering, NCS (average personal statement)

If I got about 600 in ukcat where should I apply? And what about if I got > 700? Is there any where I should definitely consider or not consider and any general advice? :smile:

Aim for the highest mark you can possibly get in the UKCAT. Why on earth would you aim for anything else? And then come back here. It is absolutely pointless people spending a lot of time giving you advice based on where you MIGHT apply based on results you MIGHT get in a test you haven't even sat yet
Original post by GANFYD
Aim for the highest mark you can possibly get in the UKCAT. Why on earth would you aim for anything else? And then come back here. It is absolutely pointless people spending a lot of time giving you advice based on where you MIGHT apply based on results you MIGHT get in a test you haven't even sat yet

Hi yes I think I got a bit too excited :u: wish me good luck in my ukcat
Original post by DvsAmjed
Hi yes I think I got a bit too excited :u: wish me good luck in my ukcat

The very best of luck to you, in your UKCAT and with all your application. Your stats so far are fantastic, so I don't see you having any problems!
Did my UKCAT today I thought it went well however... My average was, 600 BAND 1 530,630,640,620 . I was planning on applying to Liverpool, Manchester, Leicester and Nottingham. What are my chances of getting in now?? My AS grades were(AABB) Bs in biology and chemistry and my predicted A2 grades are A*AA and my GCSEs are 2A* 7A 1B Am I a competitive applicant anymore? :frown:
Original post by Nae1508
Did my UKCAT today I thought it went well however... My average was, 600 BAND 1 530,630,640,620 . I was planning on applying to Liverpool, Manchester, Leicester and Nottingham. What are my chances of getting in now?? My AS grades were(AABB) Bs in biology and chemistry and my predicted A2 grades are A*AA and my GCSEs are 2A* 7A 1B Am I a competitive applicant anymore? :frown:

I am afraid you will unlikely get an interview at any uni that uses UKCAT. Unfortunately, your GCSEs and AS results are also not strong enough on their own. You won't get an interview at Notts, Manchester and Leicester. But Liverpool MAY be fine.

However - you should not give up if you really want medicine.

Your options are :

1. Take the BMAT and kill it. Then apply to Brighton and Lancaster.

2. If you don't get an offer anywhere - no problem. Kill the A2 grades.Take agap year. Kill the UKCAT and re-apply. I have become a huge fan of gap years from personal experience.

In summary - if I am blunt - your only chance this year is BMAT and non-UKCAT unis (you may be BORDERLINE for Liverpool). Go for them. If not - gap year. Your dream isn;t over until you want it to be. Good luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nae1508

As you saw from my reply, I edited it regards Liverpool.

Your academics would be OK for Liverpool and your UKCAT would probably be on the acceptable borderline for Liverpool. Certainly, the other 3 are out.

It is worth applying to Liverpool but your work experience and PS need to be top notch.
You should consider Liverpool and then take BMAT and apply to Brighton and Lancaster as well.
Original post by APPLICANT2016
As you saw from my reply, I edited it regards Liverpool.

Your academics would be OK for Liverpool and your UKCAT would probably be on the acceptable borderline for Liverpool. Certainly, the other 3 are out.

It is worth applying to Liverpool but your work experience and PS need to be top notch.
You should consider Liverpool and then take BMAT and apply to Brighton and Lancaster as well.

Liverpool have used the UKCAT as part of their assessment criteria for the last 2 years, and their cut offs were 625 2 years ago and 640 last year, so scores much below this are unlikely to be successful unless the averages change significantly, unfortunately
Original post by GANFYD
Liverpool have used the UKCAT as part of their assessment criteria for the last 2 years, and their cut offs were 625 2 years ago and 640 last year, so scores much below this are unlikely to be successful unless the averages change significantly, unfortunately

Thank you Ganfyd. I didn't know that. . I should know cos I'm starting at Liverpool in 3 weeks :-). I stand corrected and apologise to the poster

I knew that the cutoffs were lower then then Manchester. But it seems that there isn't much difference.

Latest

Trending

Trending