The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Consider taking a gap year, the B prediction in chemistry will really hold you back, the only places I think will accept that are Imperial and Barts which will only allow it if you're taking 4A2s
I'm not too keen on taking a gap year, as I'd rather just go for a fairly easy degree, try for a 2.1 or 1st to set myself up for graduate entry. Besides Im sure sheffield, brighton and others are possibilities too, I need to call them up. It's like I have EVERYTHING else sorted, but the grades. If I do really well on the UKCAT, would that not work in my favour?
Original post by jess_m94
look on the wiki page -how to apply to your strengths :smile:

haha, that page is a permanent tab on my computer until my ucas is sent off haha :smile:
Original post by Peter Parker
I'm not too keen on taking a gap year, as I'd rather just go for a fairly easy degree, try for a 2.1 or 1st to set myself up for graduate entry. Besides Im sure sheffield, brighton and others are possibilities too, I need to call them up. It's like I have EVERYTHING else sorted, but the grades. If I do really well on the UKCAT, would that not work in my favour?

Oh god I'm in a similar position as you :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meltingice
Oh god I'm in a similar position as you :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's definitely tricky. Either gamble it and try the easiest way into med now or the harder way through graduate entry.
Here's my situation. AS grades: ACCC. I know it seems crazy, but I was getting all A's up to the exams, so I know it was a blip that can be fixed with hard work.
Is Medicine still achievable?

To be honest, no matter what anyone says it is always had to tell because something on your application could look really good to the admin tutors so thus they put more weighting on that aspect than your grades. The only thing i would make sure you do is email/telephone all of your choices to make sure you are eligble with A*ABc and A*AB predictions after that you meet their academic requirements so make sure all you other stuff is good and also bare in mind since you are in a more of a vulnerable position getting a strong UKCAT score will do well tom compensate because medical schools appreciate everyone gets different qualities of education so the UKCAT is something that is a good tool to compare candidates + also the UKCAT is where even straight A* students get average scores so just work hard at that, your personal statements, make sure your reference is good and I would give it a go, the main goal is getting an interview and then you can show of in person why you are suitable.
Apply for medicine anyway. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain and something about your application could stand out and might just land you an interview and then an offer. Be sure to have a 5th choice so that if you do end up with 4 rejections, you can accept that and think about doing graduate entry medicine. Be warned though - graduate entry is no child's play and it is a lot harder to get a place than it is with undergraduate level but it certainly isn't impossible.
Original post by flyylikejetz
To be honest, no matter what anyone says it is always had to tell because something on your application could look really good to the admin tutors so thus they put more weighting on that aspect than your grades. The only thing i would make sure you do is email/telephone all of your choices to make sure you are eligble with A*ABc and A*AB predictions after that you meet their academic requirements so make sure all you other stuff is good and also bare in mind since you are in a more of a vulnerable position getting a strong UKCAT score will do well tom compensate because medical schools appreciate everyone gets different qualities of education so the UKCAT is something that is a good tool to compare candidates + also the UKCAT is where even straight A* students get average scores so just work hard at that, your personal statements, make sure your reference is good and I would give it a go, the main goal is getting an interview and then you can show of in person why you are suitable.

Yeah agree completely. This might be my only real shot at getting in. I'm still calling up the Admissions tutors for the possible uni's just to make sure I actually have a shot.
Original post by etothepii
Apply for medicine anyway. You have nothing to lose but everything to gain and something about your application could stand out and might just land you an interview and then an offer. Be sure to have a 5th choice so that if you do end up with 4 rejections, you can accept that and think about doing graduate entry medicine. Be warned though - graduate entry is no child's play and it is a lot harder to get a place than it is with undergraduate level but it certainly isn't impossible.

Yeah I realise, my brother got an interview for graduate entry where they have the 'speed dating' interview. Ridiculously challenging, yet I think it's still possible.
Yeah I realise, my brother got an interview for graduate entry where they have the 'speed dating' interview. Ridiculously challenging, yet I think it's still possible.

Well, it will be nothing less than challenging.
There's the easy(/ier) way (i.e. getting in after sixth form), and there's the hard way. I'd say give the easy way a go first :wink:
Well, it will be nothing less than challenging.
There's the easy(/ier) way (i.e. getting in after sixth form), and there's the hard way. I'd say give the easy way a go first :wink:

If I can guarantee at least 3 unis accepting A*AB minus Bio, then I'll probably go for it.
If I can guarantee at least 3 unis accepting A*AB minus Bio, then I'll probably go for it.

Well, that's up to you but in my opinion, you come across as being somewhat 'scared' of receiving rejections. Either way, I highly doubt you're going to find 3 universities that are willing to accept A*AB. At the same time, you don't need AAA at AS to get an offer.

At the end of the day, it's your decision that matters. I've voiced my opinion and I wish you the best with your application! :smile:
Well, that's up to you but in my opinion, you come across as being somewhat 'scared' of receiving rejections. Either way, I highly doubt you're going to find 3 universities that are willing to accept A*AB. At the same time, you don't need AAA at AS to get an offer.

At the end of the day, it's your decision that matters. I've voiced my opinion and I wish you the best with your application! :smile:

Well I'd rather not waste 4 choices if I haven't got a hope of getting in, so the rejection is the thing holding me back. And what do you mean you don't need AAA for the offer? Isn't that kind of contradictory?
Well I'd rather not waste 4 choices if I haven't got a hope of getting in, so the rejection is the thing holding me back. And what do you mean you don't need AAA for the offer? Isn't that kind of contradictory?

At AS. It is still possible to get an offer without getting AAA at AS if the rest of your application is good enough.
At AS. It is still possible to get an offer without getting AAA at AS if the rest of your application is good enough.

Yeah I suppose so, but doesn't the prediction have to be mainly A's at least? I'm sure a lot of uni's immediately turn away any B's in the predictions.
Yeah I suppose so, but doesn't the prediction have to be mainly A's at least? I'm sure a lot of uni's immediately turn away any B's in the predictions.

She means you don't need AAA at AS-level to get AAA prediction to get you an offer
you can have AAB/ABB even BBB.
Reply 396
Hi, i think im regretting thinking that I was good enough for med!!! Wonder if any of you would be able to give me a straight answer as to whether there is any hope at any medical school

GCSE
A* maths
A X 7 (eng lit, lang, triple science, history, geography)
B X 2 (German PE)
Merit in IT

AS
I had a nightmare and am hoping to resit some modules (clearly not going to be a medical schools fav)
B history
B Bio (1 module resit required)
B Maths (dropping)
C chem (1 possibly 2 resits required)

Regarding the resits is it best to leave these grades as pending on my UCAS application?

I AM PREDICTED AAA AT A LEVEL AS LONG AS I DO THESE RESITS

UKCAT
Another nightmare.... 607.5 avrg (480 in VR)

However, i have got an EPQ at an A. I have a wide range of interests including ballroom and latin dance, im also an air cadet and completed silver DofE. Volunteer at my local dance club, Work Exp in A&E, volunteered for a week teaching dance to disabled children and am volunteering at a care home....

Hope someone can help because as you can see im grabbing at straws... Any suggestions of where i should apply if i do?????
(edited 11 years ago)
Heyy guys, I just did my ukcat today and i feel like I have desperately underachieved on a personal level and maybe you can agree it is bad also = 620,
however academically I don't feel I am disadvantaged:
GCSE's = 9A* 2A's
AS levels: AAAAA*
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*A*

So my question i guess is: is it still worth applying to ukcat unis when my ukcat score is so low or will academic strength be able to strengthen my application (I was thinking along the lines of King's college London for eg.)

Also I wanted to ask whether if I did bad on UKCAT does this mean i will do bad on my BMAT or is there a chance i can do well in that?
Hello guys, I have all the other requirements but scored a low 665 on the UKCAT.

Which universities would be best to apply too for the best chances?

Any help is appreciated :smile:

p.s. this is my third year of applying...
Reply 399
Hi everyone,

these are my GCSE results: 9A*'s, 3A's(eng lit, eng lang, stats), 1B
AS results: 3A (Chem, Bio, Phys) predicted A2 grades: A*AA
A2 results: 2A (Maths, German)
UKCAT: still to be taken

Work Experience & Voluntary Work:

-4 weeks GP
-1 week Care Home, Germany,
-Trainee First Aider St. John's Ambulance
-Once a week at Residential Home

Extra Curricular:

-Prefect at School
-Studying grade 8 drums
-Creating Short movies submitting to film festivals
-D of E bronze
-Represent school at chess
-Participated in robocode competition
-Making up and choreographing dance performances

I am planning to apply to Imperial, Nottingham, Leicester, Cardiff. I am planning to resit one module from my A2 Level maths. What do these universities say about resits, and do you think what I have achieved so far would be enough?

Latest

Trending

Trending