The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheRedMedic
Hey,
I got 6A*s (Science, Additional Science, Maths, Stats, History and ICT) and 5As (English Language, English Literature, French, Welsh 1st Language (I'm fluent) and Welsh Literature) at GCSE, and a Merit in Additional Maths.

I had 4As in my AS Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History) and am planning to drop History for my second year of sixth form. I've got the UKCAT tomorrow, and I've prepared quite a bit averaging 2500-2600 in the mocks.

I was feeling pretty confident until earlier looking through all of the people who applied for Cardiff on the stalking 2014 applicants page and saw they all had like 3A*s predicted and got rejected!?! In order of favourite first, I was going to apply for: Cardiff; Bristol; Manchester and Birmingham.

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance! Thanks!

P.S. Is Manchester looking for high UKCAT scores? I looked earlier at the website but am a bit confused if I'm honest!

Personal statement is so important. It is likely that the people predicted 3A*s and got rejected had a poor personal statement, or were rejected after interview.
Original post by Agger2k12
4 a*2a3b at gcse (maths bio chem and computing were a*)
AAA predicted (school doesn't cash in AS results apart from the one we drop which was an A in geography)
750 UKCAT
do I stand a chance?

What makes you think you wont?
Original post by Angelo12231
What makes you think you wont?

below average gcses, only aaa prediction, I see people with immense results getting rejected :s-smilie:
below average gcses, only aaa prediction, I see people with immense results getting rejected :s-smilie:

Its because of personal statements etc, its obvious their academics are good, but their non-academics are lacking :tongue:
Its because of personal statements etc, its obvious their academics are good, but their non-academics are lacking :tongue:

true true
true true

your academics are fine by the way (for most med schools)
Hi guys, I have to write my personal statement asap but am not sure I'd get in to a medical school. At GCSE I got 1A* 6A and 3B, at AS I got AABB. My bs were in Chemistry and Biology which will both be resat. I think my school has predicted me for the same grades at A level, with the possibility of AAB in Geography Biology and Chemistry respectively. I have a UKCAT test on the 11th September and am wondering if there is any point in going if I don't apply for medicine. I had work experience in a hospital in year 13 and now volunteer in a local Hospital. Thanks for any help!
Hi guys, I'm desperate for some advice on uni applications.

UKCAT:695 avg, SJT Band 1

IB Prediction: 42, 776 HL
GCSEs: 10A*
Extracurriculars: MUN, Red Cross, Hospital Work Experience, Interning in the medical school in Stanford, etc.

Would I be a competitive applicant as an international student?

I was thinking of Edinburgh/Oxford (one or the other), Bristol, St George's, Kings, Sheffield, Birmingham.
Does anybody have any advice for taking a gap year and then applying for 2016 entry? I'll make my PS this year and alter it next year so that I can get the help from teachers etc... Would a years work in an opticians working as an optical dispenser favour my application? I'd gain quite a bit of WE as well :smile:
This is my current profile:

GCSE: 8A's, 3A*'s, 1Dist*

AS-Level: Maths: A, Chemistry: A, Physics: B, Further Maths:/, Biology:/

A2-Level: Maths: B, Chemistry:/, Physics:/, Further Maths:/

BTEC's: A2-Level: Dist*

":/" signifies i'm taking the modules in Year13

Predicted Grades:

Teachers have hinted at one of these combinations:

Chemistry A2: A/A*

Maths A2 after retakes: A/A*

Further Maths A2: B/A

Physics A2: A

Biology AS: a

Work Experience:

1 Year at Nursing Home

2 Days clinical skills sessions

1 day pain clinic

1 day pre-op ward

2 days Mental Health nursing

planned:

1 week Mental Health Nursing

1 week GP's

UKCAT: unknown, test to be taken on 18th Sept 2014

Any advice?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, i was just wondering if anyone could advise me on any good unis that would accept/suit my profile? Thanks it advance :smile:
GCSEs: 8 A*s 4As and 1B (A*s in maths bio chem and physics and A in eng lang -.-)
AS grades: AAAC (As in maths chem and physics but C in biology :frown:)
No predicted grades yet
UKCAT: Average 707.5

Thank you :smile:
I have 5A* 1D*(is this seen as another A* by med schools?) And 3As and 1B (English language) what are my chances of medical school based on GCSEs assuming the a levels and WE are adequate for the course too? Which unis don't emphasize GCSEs allot?
Hey! I've got 3 A*'s (Maths, Physics, Chemistry), 7A's (including Biology, English Lang and lit) and 3 B's, but I see a lot about needing 4A*s to get in, does anyone know what uni would take those GCSE's? Thanks!
Reply 5633
Original post by Akantox
Hey! I've got 3 A*'s (Maths, Physics, Chemistry), 7A's (including Biology, English Lang and lit) and 3 B's, but I see a lot about needing 4A*s to get in, does anyone know what uni would take those GCSE's? Thanks!

Nobody...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive got 2.5 A*, 7A, 1B for GCSEs, i'm thinking about doing medicine as I need to pick my AS/A levels this week.
Do i have a chance at the 5 medical schools in London assuming that i work my ass of and smash my UKCAT/BMAT/A-LEVELS?
Also, how do i know if these uni's are GCSE heavy?
Or should i just pick another career as there is still time?
Original post by ChrisMcQ
Hi guys, I have to write my personal statement asap but am not sure I'd get in to a medical school. At GCSE I got 1A* 6A and 3B, at AS I got AABB. My bs were in Chemistry and Biology which will both be resat. I think my school has predicted me for the same grades at A level, with the possibility of AAB in Geography Biology and Chemistry respectively. I have a UKCAT test on the 11th September and am wondering if there is any point in going if I don't apply for medicine. I had work experience in a hospital in year 13 and now volunteer in a local Hospital. Thanks for any help!

You need to be predicted AAA at A2 to even be considered. You need to speak to your chemistry teacher to persuade them to predict you an A. You can pull it back at A2 with a B at AS. Just explain how important it is that your predicted an A in this subject.

If you have revised and practiced for the UKCAT, you should still definitely sit the exam. Even if it is just for the experience if you end up applying once you have your predicted A2's.

Best of luck! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by takenusername1
Ive got 2.5 A*, 7A, 1B for GCSEs, i'm thinking about doing medicine as I need to pick my AS/A levels this week.
Do i have a chance at the 5 medical schools in London assuming that i work my ass of and smash my UKCAT/BMAT/A-LEVELS?
Also, how do i know if these uni's are GCSE heavy?
Or should i just pick another career as there is still time?

London universities are very GCSE heavy... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine Check these sections
London universities are very GCSE heavy... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine Check these sections

Barts and the london - AAABBB
Imperial -
AAABB
Kings - B in English Language and Maths if not offered at AS/A2.
St Georges -
416 points from top eight GCSEs (avg A)
UCL - BB in english maths and C in a modern language

How does this show that these uni's are GCSE heavy. 'Checking' these sections doesnt really help.

Also, does anyone know of anyone getting into these unis with similar GCSEs? (2.5A*, 7A, 1B)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by takenusername1
Barts and the london - AAABBB
Imperial -
AAABB
Kings - B in English Language and Maths if not offered at AS/A2.
St Georges -
416 points from top eight GCSEs (avg A)
UCL - BB in english maths and C in a modern language

How does this show that these uni's are GCSE heavy. 'CHecking' these sections doesnt really help

That's their minimum requirements. Their average applicants are likely to have higher.
Original post by 06shawm
That's their minimum requirements. Their average applicants are likely to have higher.

yes, thats the point i was trying to make

Latest

Trending

Trending