The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Which universities are very UKCAT focussed and which are relatively relaxed? ie which have a strict cut off and which don't etc...
Original post by TheUnicorn62
Which universities are very UKCAT focussed and which are relatively relaxed? ie which have a strict cut off and which don't etc...

Can you quote me in any response please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5662
Original post by 06shawm
Yeah I would definitely advise resitting some of the modules to bump up your UMS scores.

Don't worry, those GCSE's are fine, like you mentioned, just try to avoid medical schools which require an A in English :smile:

Best of luck with your UKCAT!

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Hello again!

Well I've done my UKCAT.... I got 650 :/ I was incredibly disappointed because I did SO much better in the practice tests and I spent almost 2 months practicing for it.... I really don't understand what happened... Should I still apply? If so, where can I possibly go? I have a feeling the average UKCAT score this year will be a lot higher than mine.
Original post by meem23
Hello again!

Well I've done my UKCAT.... I got 650 :/ I was incredibly disappointed because I did SO much better in the practice tests and I spent almost 2 months practicing for it.... I really don't understand what happened... Should I still apply? If so, where can I possibly go? I have a feeling the average UKCAT score this year will be a lot higher than mine.

Hi!

Don't worry it isn't the end of the world. You should definitely still apply but obviously avoid UKCAT heavy medical schools.

The non UKCAT universities involve: Liverpool, Birmingham (Avoid this one) , Lancaster and Bristol (PS heavy).

Some medical schools only use the UKCAT in 'tie-break' situations to differentiate similar applicants for interview. All the information can be found on the TSR medicine wiki of how too apply to your strengths.
Hi everyone,
I have a UKCAT score of 592.5 band 1 (truly awful)
5A* 6A's at GCSE
3A's and a C (C in chemistry but will get remarked hopefully up to a B)
Predictions ranging from A*A*A - A*AA
I was thinking about applying to 4 of either Kings EMDP, Liverpool, Keele, Southampton 6year, UEA 5 or 6year, Bristol, Lancaster are these good choices or is undergrad medicine no longer a realistic choice? :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry for another one of these threads, but I am soooo desperate to know whether I can get into a medicine school.
I got 4 A*'s, 9 A's and 1 B in my GCSE's, which I am really disappointed with because I know that medicine is really competitive. I also did my GCSE's in the same year that my grandmother died and my dad was going through chemotherapy, so this did put me at a disadvantage.
I also got 4 A's for my AS results, in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics, and all with very high UMS; I am far happier with these results. As a result, I am predicted 4A*'s for A2.
Do I stand any chance of doing medicine at a top university such as UCL or Imperial or Southampton, or even Cambridge.

Please can someone reply realistically, because medicine is my dream, and hopefully universities can see that I really want to do medicine in my A-level results. I would be incredibly grateful for an answer.:smile:
Original post by Bal_123
Sorry for another one of these threads, but I am soooo desperate to know whether I can get into a medicine school.
I got 4 A*'s, 9 A's and 1 B in my GCSE's, which I am really disappointed with because I know that medicine is really competitive. I also did my GCSE's in the same year that my grandmother died and my dad was going through chemotherapy, so this did put me at a disadvantage.
I also got 4 A's for my AS results, in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics, and all with very high UMS; I am far happier with these results. As a result, I am predicted 4A*'s for A2.
Do I stand any chance of doing medicine at a top university such as UCL or Imperial or Southampton, or even Cambridge.

Please can someone reply realistically, because medicine is my dream, and hopefully universities can see that I really want to do medicine in my A-level results. I would be incredibly grateful for an answer.:smile:

What are your UKCAT and BMAT scores?
Hey,
I am really worried about my GCSE grades, I got 2B in English language and Literature, in the rest of my subjects I did much better.

Do you think these 2B's ruin my chance of UCL? (imagining that I got amazing AS and BMAT scores [as in average])
Hey everyone,

I am currently studying AS in 6th form and I am still worried about my GCSE results and applying to a university for medicine

I got 8A* 2A and 2B the only thing that I am disappointed with is the (STUPID) 2B's in English Lang and Lit...

is there any point in me applying to medicine at UCL???
Reply 5669
Hi guys

I got 7A* and 4A at GCSE
But I got ABBB in my AS , A in math and Bs in bio , chem and history.
I got 652 on ukcat with no strand lower than 610
I am considering Barts and London , Liverpool , Edinburgh and Bristol , do I have a chance going to these unis?
Reply 5670
Hi all! I'm from Singapore and I just got my ukcat today. I think as an international student my requirement is higher than normal:/ Therefore can I have some advice on the schools that I should look for /avoid?

My grades:

Ukcat: VR 580, QR 860 AR 690 DA 660 SJT band 1, overal abt 697.5

I took sgp A levels and got A for bio chem math and economics ( there's no A*) and C for general paper

I've had work experience and related non academic requirement.

Thank you!(:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok guys did my UKCAT today and was quite disappointed with my average of 658 :frown: my other stats are 10 A*'s at GCSE and 4 A's at AS with and average UMS of 91. Do I still stand a chance of applying to any UKCAT unis? I know kings Manchester and Newcastle are pretty much out of the question now... Any suggestions?
Original post by yasminhmi
Ok guys did my UKCAT today and was quite disappointed with my average of 658 :frown: my other stats are 10 A*'s at GCSE and 4 A's at AS with and average UMS of 91. Do I still stand a chance of applying to any UKCAT unis? I know kings Manchester and Newcastle are pretty much out of the question now... Any suggestions?

QUB (guarunteed interview), Cardiff, keele all worth looking at, maybe st Georges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
QUB (guarunteed interview), Cardiff, keele all worth looking at, maybe st Georges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Liverpool
Original post by em.d_4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is Edinburgh worth a shot?
Original post by sunshinebeem
Hi everyone,
I have a UKCAT score of 592.5 band 1 (truly awful)
5A* 6A's at GCSE
3A's and a C (C in chemistry but will get remarked hopefully up to a B)
Predictions ranging from A*A*A - A*AA
I was thinking about applying to 4 of either Kings EMDP, Liverpool, Keele, Southampton 6year, UEA 5 or 6year, Bristol, Lancaster are these good choices or is undergrad medicine no longer a realistic choice? :redface:

You shouldn't rule out undergrad medicine just due to a poor UKCAT score. Those sound like good choices and your grades are sound - just make sure your ps is top-notch and you will be fine. Especially for Bristol as they put a lot of emphasis on this.

If you happen to not get any offers this year, don't be afraid to take a gap year and reapply, potentially with a better UKCAT (which is what I did). The graduate route is more expensive, and there is no guarantee that the funding will still be available in 3 years time if you do another course.
Original post by yasminhmi
Is Edinburgh worth a shot?

It's unlikely with that ukcat tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4
It's unlikely with that ukcat tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard the UKCAT only forms 8% of your application there though?
Original post by 06shawm
You need to be predicted AAA at A2 to even be considered. You need to speak to your chemistry teacher to persuade them to predict you an A. You can pull it back at A2 with a B at AS. Just explain how important it is that your predicted an A in this subject.

If you have revised and practiced for the UKCAT, you should still definitely sit the exam. Even if it is just for the experience if you end up applying once you have your predicted A2's.

Best of luck! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :smile:

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate the help, now just to beg my chemistry teacher!
I am really worried because my dream is to become medic. I have tried to look at alternative course but I don't know I just love the role of a doctor. The only thing letting me down is my AS results.

I got 6A* 2A 2B for gcse but I panicked and bombed my AS results.
Then I got 4C at 207/300 you need to get 210 for a B. I want to resit the modules that I got a C.

Any advise? Is it possible to get from C to A and should I bother applying this year or wait until I get my results and take a gap year.

Latest

Trending

Trending