The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minjinoor
it really is THAT competitive
2 of my friends with straight A* predictions for 3 and 4 alevels each have been flat out rejected

It is competitive, yes, but there are other factors involved apart from grades. It could be that they didn't apply wisely.
Original post by usycool1
It is competitive, yes, but there are other factors involved apart from grades. It could be that they didn't apply wisely.

oh yh definitely, personal statements are huge apparently, and the most important thing in them is a genuine interest and knowledge surrounding healthcare and the NHS and wanting to dedicate the next ten years of your life to study and training and knowing that you will start at the bottom...

also the UKCAT score is a big factor...
If I'm honest, it seems like the PS is the least important factor in getting into medical school.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to try my hardest to make it reflect well on me, since they are still important from some of the universities, but they seem to be of the least importance for most places I want to apply to.
Original post by Gogregg
If I'm honest, it seems like the PS is the least important factor in getting into medical school.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to try my hardest to make it reflect well on me, since they are still important from some of the universities, but they seem to be of the least importance for most places I want to apply to.

It depends on each uni. Some don't look at it at all. Others do more just do your research and make sure it's good anyway.
At the moment I have shortlisted UCL, Oxford, Kings, Nottingham, Birmingham, Barts, UEA and St George's. I definitely want to apply to Oxford and UCL, although realise this is risky if I fudge up the BMAT. However, here is my profile, do you think I have a chance at UCL and Oxford? And which of the other ones do you think are a) good medical schools b) likely I may get in?
Academics: 11.5 GCSE A*s, AS predictions aaaa, and I'm hoping by the way my academic year has gone so far, A2 predictions will be A*A*A*A in Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Maths, although I will probably drop Geography as I find it boring compared to my other subjects and harder to revise for. So I would have A*A*A predictions. I aim to work hard on maths to get my actual grade up to an A*, but I don't think I will get predicted that before UCAS deadline. I am also completing a medical related EPQ in the form of a dissertation and I completed a small research project, where after collecting and analysing our findings, my group won the best presentation (we had to present our findings to the project's lead coordinator and about 40 guests). I also came second in the reflective piece of writing we had to complete about our time researching.
I go to medicine related lectures frequently, write for our school's medical newsletter, read around the 'subject' e.g. I just finished reading genome- highly recommend, sometimes listen to podcasts but not that often anymore and next September I plan to become a chemistry mentor for a L6.
I volunteer at a charity shop and care home, and in September I will volunteer for at a hospital ward. I've also got 2 weeks worth of observational work experience lined up in the summer.
I've always played hockey (up to regional, but then I got an injury so not as high level anymore- I could turn this into a positive though showing how I've worked through a difficult situation, as sport used to be my life pretty much), completed bronze and silver and completing gold DofE, try and raise money for charity on fun runs and play tennis too.

Is there anything else I should be doing to strengthen my application, particularly for applying to Oxford?
After careful consideration I have decided to pursue maybe a biomedical science degree for undergraduate and maybe do a graduate entry medicine degree, however will I still need to do the BMAT/UKCAT entry tests if I decide to go down this route?
Original post by Shameka
After careful consideration I have decided to pursue maybe a biomedical science degree for undergraduate and maybe do a graduate entry medicine degree, however will I still need to do the BMAT/UKCAT entry tests if I decide to go down this route?

You will indeed. As things currently stand, most graduate-entry medicine courses require UKCAT or GAMSAT. Only a select few require BMAT. Do note that GEM courses may cease to exist by the time you graduate from a biomedical sciences degree!
Are you aware as to why?
Original post by Shameka
Are you aware as to why?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/849040

But given the recent EU referendum result, I'm not sure what will happen!
Original post by Shameka

Just a warning that GEM is harder to get into and if you do undergraduate after a degree you have to pay your tuition fees as can't get a government loan (speaking as a graduate who is doing medicine next year)
Original post by stephannalee
Just a warning that GEM is harder to get into and if you do undergraduate after a degree you have to pay your tuition fees as can't get a government loan (speaking as a graduate who is doing medicine next year)

Correct me if I'm wrong, I heard on the news a while back that they may be introducing loans for postgraduates? Is this still the case?
Original post by zed963
Correct me if I'm wrong, I heard on the news a while back that they may be introducing loans for postgraduates? Is this still the case?

All I know is I'm starting this September and can't get tuition fee loans
OK guys,

I'm quite worried about my current iGCSE grades. I have achieved 3A* 8As which is nowhere near the recommended for Oxford. However I self-taught these A levels and many of them I completed in 1 year, so is that considered. Presuming I get predicted A*A*AA, and get and a good BMAT score, should I still apply to oxford. Worried because the shortlisting algorithm is based heavily on GCSEs
@usycool1
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AlphaWolfZ
OK guys,

I'm quite worried about my current iGCSE grades. I have achieved 3A* 8As which is nowhere near the recommended for Oxford. However I self-taught these A levels and many of them I completed in 1 year, so is that considered. Presuming I get predicted A*A*AA, and get and a good BMAT score, should I still apply to oxford. Worried because the shortlisting algorithm is based heavily on GCSEs
@usycool1

Your GCSE grades are fab. But unfortunately not enough for Oxford. Your safest bet would be to avoid Cardiff, Oxford and Birmingham. Other than that you should be fine everywhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
Your GCSE grades are fab. But unfortunately not enough for Oxford. Your safest bet would be to avoid Cardiff, Oxford and Birmingham. Other than that you should be fine everywhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Isn’t the fact that I was homeschooled and achieved the A* grades at the age of 13 going to put me on a slightly better footing. Do you think I should still not apply for oxford even If I’m confident in my ability to achieve an extremely high BMAT score? Presuming I get a BMAT of 7.0 average, will that counter effect my poor GCSEs.
Thanks. Isn’t the fact that I was homeschooled and achieved the A* grades at the age of 13 going to put me on a slightly better footing. Do you think I should still not apply for oxford even If I’m confident in my ability to achieve an extremely high BMAT score? Presuming I get a BMAT of 7.0 average, will that counter effect my poor GCSEs.

Being homeschooled isn't generally considered a reason to give special consideration tbh unless there's something else going on. You might get some special consideration sure, but the fact remains that they've published these stats for at least 3 years now, and no one has got in with less than 50%A* in that time.

Getting an amazing BMAT would be your only hope yes. The average for an offer holder is above 6 so just averaging 7 might not be enough, might have to be higher. And if you are confident of getting that... well you'd almost certainly be wrong to be tbh. Everyone who takes that exam has a string of As and A*s. People who have much better grades than you often do poorly. Its difficult to see how you can be so sure you'll do better.

Its up to you but generally speaking: Oxford is 6 years of your life. Medicine is a lifelong career. Ensuring you get in somewhere (bearing in mind that almost 2/3 of applicants fail o do so) will impact your life a lot more than ensuring you get into Oxford.
Original post by nexttime
Being homeschooled isn't generally considered a reason to give special consideration tbh unless there's something else going on. You might get some special consideration sure, but the fact remains that they've published these stats for at least 3 years now, and no one has got in with less than 50%A* in that time.

Getting an amazing BMAT would be your only hope yes. The average for an offer holder is above 6 so just averaging 7 might not be enough, might have to be higher. And if you are confident of getting that... well you'd almost certainly be wrong to be tbh. Everyone who takes that exam has a string of As and A*s. People who have much better grades than you often do poorly. Its difficult to see how you can be so sure you'll do better.

Its up to you but generally speaking: Oxford is 6 years of your life. Medicine is a lifelong career. Ensuring you get in somewhere (bearing in mind that almost 2/3 of applicants fail o do so) will impact your life a lot more than ensuring you get into Oxford.

Thanks for your comprehensive advice. In terms of consideration, the reason for homeschooling was the simple fact that we had to move twice to the Middle East and back due to my parent's work and that interfered with my revision. I doubt that will be considered so I don't know if I should write down as I'm already applying for migrating circumstances for this year due to losing 2 family members, it will seem too apologetic.

If Oxford isn't going to shortlist me, is applying next year with the 4A* at A level going to change anything? Also how different is Cambridge in weighing my IGCSEs. If I'm going to dedicate 6 years of my life I'll want to do it somewhere that I enjoy the structure of the course, hence oxford.
Thanks for your comprehensive advice. In terms of consideration, the reason for homeschooling was the simple fact that we had to move twice to the Middle East and back due to my parent's work and that interfered with my revision. I doubt that will be considered so I don't know if I should write down as I'm already applying for migrating circumstances for this year due to losing 2 family members, it will seem too apologetic.

If Oxford isn't going to shortlist me, is applying next year with the 4A* at A level going to change anything? Also how different is Cambridge in weighing my IGCSEs. If I'm going to dedicate 6 years of my life I'll want to do it somewhere that I enjoy the structure of the course, hence oxford.

If you're very keen to get into Oxbridge, you'd have a better shot at Cambridge with your stats. They generally place less emphasis on GCSEs, but you'll need a very good BMAT score and good interview performance.

There are other courses with more 'traditional' course structures you should look into if that's an imperative. Imperial, King's and UCL also tend to be more lecture-based (similar to Oxbridge) in the early years from my understanding.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ah639
If you're very keen to get into Oxbridge, you'd have a better shot at Cambridge with your stats. They generally place less emphasis on GCSEs, but you'll need a very good BMAT score and good interview performance.

There are other courses with more 'traditional' course structures you should look into if that's an imperative. Imperial, King's and UCL also tend to be more lecture-based (similar to Oxbridge) in the early years from my understanding.

UCL is like Oxbridge but I'm pretty sure Imperial and King's are not
Original post by ah639

Thanks. Cambridge is great but I was under the impression that GCSEs where more significant there. Also imagine for a second that I get an exceptional BMAT score of lets 8.0. Is that enough to override my crap GCSEs?

Latest

Trending

Trending