The Student Room Group

Boxing

I'm tirelessly making posts in regards to boxing on one fight wonders.
So I'm creating this thread so that discussion can take place in regards to even the worst fights.

E.g. tonight there was a fight that took place concerning Audley Harrison. He is not worth creating a thread for. But a post, fair enough.

And it is Audley I'm going to give a verbal blasting. In fact, no. Its quite simple really - Quit the ring.

Lost to a mediocre fighter in Danny Williams, and now he's lost again against erm, erm, what his name again?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey, nothing to do with any fights soz, but I live in W1, do you know any boxing clubs around that area that I could join? I've never done it before but really want to start...any ideas? Cheers
A lean and fit Danny Williams is the best heavyweight in this country. I can't think of too many fighters in the world with the his heart and chin. Having said that, he's pretty out of shape at the moment and i don't expect him to get another world-title shot.

You're right Audrey Harrison should retire, it's pretty sad how he's decined since Sydney 2000. I remember him nearly getting beaten by Dominic Negus, a debt collector from Essex lol.
Reply 3
signor87
hey, nothing to do with any fights soz, but I live in W1, do you know any boxing clubs around that area that I could join? I've never done it before but really want to start...any ideas? Cheers

I'm sorry mate: I actually don't know any in the W1 area. Your uni should definitely do one. I'm at QM and they do one.
More suburbs do them to be quite honest.

- Finchley
- Edmonton
- Canary Wharf
- Bethnal Green
- Brixton

Are just a few. Good luck mate.

Klinsmannic
A lean and fit Danny Williams is the best heavyweight in this country. I can't think of too many fighters in the world with the his heart and chin. Having said that, he's pretty out of shape at the moment and i don't expect him to get another world-title shot.

You're right Audrey Harrison should retire, it's pretty sad how he's decined since Sydney 2000. I remember him nearly getting beaten by Dominic Negus, a debt collector from Essex lol.

No doubting Williams heart. He is also an exceptional guy to talk to. Come to QM and gave a speech on his religion as well as a little bit about boxing. Let a few people take a crack at his stomach. Rock is all I can say. I'm only saying he's mediocre because of the people who I've seen or supported since a little kid; Lennox, Bruno, Tyson, Klitchsko. Danny would get walloped by all of them.

It is a shame about Audely, but he made 2 bad errors:
- Living in America
- Running his mouth
Could also say not taking up Maloney's offer was another one :smile:

Valuev is rubbish, and his weight one him that, not his boxing skill. Klitchsko would have beaten him comfortably.
walshie

I'm only saying he's mediocre because of the people who I've seen or supported since a little kid; Lennox, Bruno, Tyson, Klitchsko. Danny would get walloped by all of them.

It is a shame about Audely, but he made 2 bad errors:
- Living in America
- Running his mouth
Could also say not taking up Maloney's offer was another one :smile:

Valuev is rubbish, and his weight one him that, not his boxing skill. Klitchsko would have beaten him comfortably.

Klitchsko did a number on Williams but he took it for 2 rounds longer than an ordinary boxer imo...Yeah you can't really compare him to Lewis etc, but he's beaten all there is to be beaten in this country at the moment, however crap they are (J Francis, Skelton etc).

Even if he'd been living over here and not chatted so much ****, Audrey's biggest problem is that he can't punch, he has no power. That given, he shouldv'e changed his style and actually used his biggest asset- his reach. No doubt Maloney's team had the skill to do it. It doesn't help that he has had no hunger since the bbc contract.

I don't take Valuev too seriously. No speed, no explosive power...it's a wonder how he beat Ruiz in the first place.
Reply 5
I'm sorry mate: I actually don't know any in the W1 area. Your uni should definitely do one. I'm at QM and they do one.
More suburbs do them to be quite honest.

- Finchley
- Edmonton
- Canary Wharf
- Bethnal Green
- Brixton

Are just a few. Good luck mate.

Alright, cheers for the help, I'll start checkin out when I get back. Do you box?
Pretty Boy
Pretty Boy Floyd (Mayweather) is the best pound for pound boxer in the world.

People are trippin if they think that Hatton could ever step to him.

Mayweather is probably the best at the moment, i have to agree. But if he was that good he would have knocked Judah out last week (i havn't seen the fight yet i admit). If Joe Calzaghe was 5 years younger we'd be saying he's the best pound for pound. Barrera is my favourite, though.

Hatton isn't really a great technician, he's more of a brawler and goes for the body a bit too much imo.
Reply 7
Pretty Boy
Pretty Boy Floyd (Mayweather) is the best pound for pound boxer in the world.

People are trippin if they think that Hatton could ever step to him.

Hatton could easily step up to Mayweather. It's just that Mayweather has a very good techique and great hand speed. Like Klinsmann said, if Mayweather was that good, he would of knocked out Judah, which he never. When Hatton does fight him, Mayweather will be hurt badly. But Hatton will probably be cut badly.

Don't forget that Hatton has had 41 fights (I think) with 0 losses. Enough experience there to easily get him through a fight with Floyd.
Reply 8
signor87
Alright, cheers for the help, I'll start checkin out when I get back. Do you box?

Used to as a lil kid. Should never have given it up.
The fitness it gave you as well as the discipline is very much part of boxing. I love the sport personally, seeing a real professional fight of athleticism. Its not about who can beat up who, but rather, who has the better discipline and who has the better athleticism.

People get it wrong if they think its a violent game. Its more about respect. Hold those things true to you, and you'll be a good boxer. Best of luck.
I think it's worth noting that Judah's face was bloodied, his eyes were swollen, and he had gone into a defensive shell, halfway through his fight with Mayweather. Then, when it looked more and more as if it was heading for a TKO, he delivered a low blow that caused a riot in the ring. This gave him precious minutes in which to recover - by the time the fight started again, he was back in shape.

Oh, and REGARDLESS of that, even if Mayweather wouldn't have been able to knock out Judah over 12 rounds without the riot, who really cares? Judah looked on top form that night - he boxed beautifully for around 4/5 rounds, and even nabbed the 12th round. He would have traded and delivered with any welterweight on the world on that day - he's got some of the fastest hands in the division, and his skills aren't half bad, either. His only problem is his lack of consistency.

Mayweather's not a powerful puncher, at any rate - and you don't have to be one to be the best, because boxing is about skill, technique, smarts, heart. Willie Pep is regarded by many as one of the finest boxers of ALL TIME, and he didn't have much of a punch on him.

On the matter of Hatton/Mayweather - Hatton has a decent chance. I don't like Hatton, or his wrestling style, but he can still cause Mayweather a lot of problems because of it. Mayweather loves to outbox people from middle range, taking his time, countering, slipping, etc. If Hatton is smothering him like usual, smashing him everywhere, he's going to be heavily pressured. I think he would still beat Hatton, but it'll be a close thing.

Harrison sucks. End of story.
Having seen the highlights of Mayweather-Judah it seems that Floyd deserved to win the fight quite comfortably in the end. Having said that, Judah caught him square quite a few times and landed with some 'big' shots. A more powerful puncher would have inflicted a lot more pain, talking about Hatton here. Yes Prettyboy is very quick in body and mind, but for me the old addage of 'take out the body and the head will fall off' can work for Hatton once again. One thing you can be sure of is that he'll throw punches until the last bell- great heart and stamina.

Byrd-Klitschko this Saturday, not very excited about it tbh. Heavyweight division is pretty much at it's lowest ebb. What it needs is a couple of top class boxers, not brawlers, to magically appear :rolleyes: .
Reply 11
Wladimir Klitschko I think will beat Byrd comfortably. I think he will step up and eventually become champion TBH.

Mayweather - Hatton looking like one possible exciting future fight :smile:
Reply 12
Have you heard who Calzaghe is considering fo his next fight - Pater Manfredo :eek:
He has to be having a laugh!

If that's the way it's going - I say stick to Woods :smile:
Roy Jones Junior is a joke - don't do there, no point.
walshie
Have you heard who Calzaghe is considering fo his next fight - Pater Manfredo :eek:
He has to be having a laugh!

If that's the way it's going - I say stick to Woods :smile:
Roy Jones Junior is a joke - don't do there, no point.

LOL that's hilarious. I heard Manfredo beat someone decent recently but the guy couldn't even win The Contender!

Why not fight Roy Jones, it's been Calzaghe's ambition to fight him since he became champ back in the 90s. He'll beat him quite easily but I just wanna see a big-name fight! Please HBO/Showtime/Warren etc give us a good fight other than Corrales-Castillo!
i recon we should make a boxin society coz this thread will disapear soon
Reply 15
Boss_Capone
i recon we should make a boxin society coz this thread will disapear soon

No it won't. It's just that decent fights come few and far between. The one major downfall for boxing is getting the TV companies sorted on deals.

When one major fighter is tied up to HBO and another something else, tying up fights is harder than winning the lottery. Then we have outlandish wage demands, as in the case of Roy Jones Jnr. He's past it and wants an enormous amount of the purse.

Few bad injuries lately in boxing. I read somewhere that a boxer had died, and another being stretchered off to hospital (this weekend). Not good for the sport. Not happened in a long time though.

Also: Chris Eubank showing the Michael Watson fight from way back on his website. I'm not quite sure what to make of it to be honest. Could be considered bad tatse, but he has Michael Watson's full support sharing the revenue. I'm sure it will be watched by thousands :smile:

Long love the boxing thread :biggrin:
walshie

When one major fighter is tied up to HBO and another something else, tying up fights is harder than winning the lottery. Then we have outlandish wage demands, as in the case of Roy Jones Jnr. He's past it and wants an enormous amount of the purse.

Long love the boxing thread :biggrin:

Did I see Roy Jones in Matrix two the other night. If it wasn't him he must have a twin brother! If it was him it shows how much he cares about fame and fortune. Would still like to see him fight Calzaghe though
Oscar 'golden boy' De la Hoya was AWESOME!! Mayorga ran his mouth about dislocating oscar's retina, stopping his heart etc, but in the end the 'Bully' got outboxed and generally out-smarted. After 20 months out of the ring it was a truly great performance. Lets see Mister Mayweather next please...
Reply 18
I didn't watch the De La Hoya fight :frown:
Heard it was brilliant. Muggy Mayorga was way too confident, and undeservedly so. The guy, much like Lacy deserved to be punished in the way they did. I always find fighters with too much talk not good for the game. In the end they end up failing everytime.

Keep on saying this, but its about respect. These people don't have them:
- Lacy
- Mayorga
- Tyson (especially later on in his career)
- Harrison (Audley)

All of them get defeated. The only other that runs his mouth slightly is Mayweather. But I'm sure his time will come when he fights De-la Hoya or Hatton :smile:

UPcoming golden fights:

Ricky Hatton v Luis Collazo (13/05)
Clinton Woods v Jason DeLisle (13/05)
Scott Harrison v Martin Honorio (20/05)
Marco Antonio Barrera v Ricardo Juarez (20/05)
Jose Luis Castillo v Diego Corrales (03/06)
Antonio Tarver v Bernard Hopkins (10/06)
Miguel Cotto v Paul Malignaggi (10/06)
Jermain Taylor v Winky Wright (17/06)
Danny Williams v Matt Skelton (15/06)

All those in bold, I think will win.
Jermaine Taylor / Winky Wright will be a great fight.
Tarver / Hopkins had the potential, but Hopkins will lose. He's out of his prime now :frown:
walshie

UPcoming golden fights:

Ricky Hatton v Luis Collazo (13/05)
Clinton Woods v Jason DeLisle (13/05)
Scott Harrison v Martin Honorio (20/05)
Marco Antonio Barrera v Ricardo Juarez (20/05)
Jose Luis Castillo v Diego Corrales (03/06)
Antonio Tarver v Bernard Hopkins (10/06)
Miguel Cotto v Paul Malignaggi (10/06)
Jermain Taylor v Winky Wright (17/06)
Danny Williams v Matt Skelton (15/06)

All those in bold, I think will win.
Jermaine Taylor / Winky Wright will be a great fight.
Tarver / Hopkins had the potential, but Hopkins will lose. He's out of his prime now :frown:

Yep, Tarver-B'Hop on paper looks great. I agree with all of your predictions except I feel Jermaine Taylor will win late on, and Corrales will have Castillo in another toe-to-toe war!

Latest