The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3960
Very disappointing from Froch here.
I can't believe he's allowing Ward to push him around. I know he's letting him, but FFS give a bit back! You've got nothing else son but grit.

Froch will do well just to limit this loss. Ward too quick.
Reply 3961
Oh well - I don't need to await the score cards.

Do not like Ward's style though. He ain't no Amir. I could not wish to have seen a worse fight.
I said Ward would win this - but it is still disappointing.
Have to say, after a few rounds, Ward was reminding me of Mayweather. First time I've seen Ward and yes, he isn't entertaining, you certainly won't be jumping off your seat but he is EFFECTIVE. He surprised me and it seemed he was trying to knock Froch out but he backed off a little, he caught Carl with a good shot in round nine and the latter's legs seemed to be unstable a tad. Carl didn't connect with one clean shot, and that's because Ward stayed out of danger. But Carl's brawling style was going to come unstuck at some point - he got a good decision over Dirrell and the following opponents were fighters who weren't going to be slipppery like Ward so he could stand and trade well.

Carl put up a good effort, but he needed to start quick, apply pressure but Ward didn't really allow him. The scorecards, like commentary said, the English judge's scorecard was a fair reflection.

Really intrigued by what both men do from here. Froch needs to dust this defeat off, maybe a move to light-heavyweight might be an option, but for Ward, he could unify the division and do a P4P schedule.
Froch was outclassed. His girlfriend is hot though. :sexface:
I only the chance to watch the fight from the 11th round and Carl Froch, to me was loooking really gassed but atleast he took the defeat like a man, unlike some people (cough cough......amir khan..cough cough). Well done to Ward, big win for him
Original post by CB91

Agreed ;-) There is some good news on my bet too....im f-ing well relieved.....It didnt go through for some reason! Well I know what reason..... Im too relieved......would have £200 down the drain

Andre ward looks class...
Original post by yellofeeva
£200?! damn! i have £20 on Froch to win. I normally only bet on MMA, not so clued up on boxing but i fancied a punt, plus it makes the fight more exciting to watch :biggrin:

Yeah lot of money these days for me.....BUT it didnt go through :smile: Im well chuffed-rarely do i get such fortune, I assumed it was on and I'd lost but just checked my bet was rejected!! It will probably feel like a win tommorrow when this alcohol has wore off ;-) Unlucky on the £20.....
(edited 12 years ago)
Ward looks like the next big thing
Kell Brook still looking really good too, I wonder if he's gonna get a decent fight in 2012. Hope so.
Reply 3969
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Ward looks like the next big thing

Yeh, he is a great fighter.

I don't have a clue how one of the judges scored it 115-113.
Full fight is up for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjWVNTmKXxA
Original post by Rgman27
Yeh, he is a great fighter.

I don't have a clue how one of the judges scored it 115-113.

TWO of them did!

probs to make froch feel better tbh
Reply 3972
Original post by CB91
lol. Let's look at the positives :biggrin:

I didn't wait up for the scorecards as I was convinced every score would have been 118 to 110. SO was very surprised to see that the US and Canadian judges giving if 115-113?!

Froch won the 5th, arguably you could say the 1st and last. The 2nd and 3rd were tight with Ward knicking it on speed of counter punches.

Did anyone see how it could be 115-113? I could say at best, to be kind perhaps 4 rounds to Carl.

Anyhow - don't like what's being said about Carl this morning being he is over-hyped etc. He has been under-hyped for far too long. The guy doesn't back away from fights, never shuns an opponent even if it don't look right.

- Glen Johnson
- Kessler
- Ward
- Pascal
- Dirrell
- Abraham
- Taylor
- Magee

This is an impressive list! It took Froch to get to Ward to get recognised. Sad I think.

Calzaghe, although I think would be a great opponent for Ward incidentally, never had this list and was over-hyped from way younger and worse opposition. Let's get some perspective.

I admire Froch and I hope I do see a rematch with Kessler, a fight with Cleverly (he will get KO'd IMO) or even Hopkins. Maybe even Bute? But Ward will be after that first.
Original post by Né Stig
lol. Let's look at the positives :biggrin:

I didn't wait up for the scorecards as I was convinced every score would have been 118 to 110. SO was very surprised to see that the US and Canadian judges giving if 115-113?!

Froch won the 5th, arguably you could say the 1st and last. The 2nd and 3rd were tight with Ward knicking it on speed of counter punches.

Did anyone see how it could be 115-113? I could say at best, to be kind perhaps 4 rounds to Carl.

Anyhow - don't like what's being said about Carl this morning being he is over-hyped etc. He has been under-hyped for far too long. The guy doesn't back away from fights, never shuns an opponent even if it don't look right.

- Glen Johnson
- Kessler
- Ward
- Pascal
- Dirrell
- Abraham
- Taylor
- Magee

This is an impressive list! It took Froch to get to Ward to get recognised. Sad I think.

Calzaghe, although I think would be a great opponent for Ward incidentally, never had this list and was over-hyped from way younger and worse opposition. Let's get some perspective.

I admire Froch and I hope I do see a rematch with Kessler, a fight with Cleverly (he will get KO'd IMO) or even Hopkins. Maybe even Bute? But Ward will be after that first.

What Froch lacks in speed and skill, he more than makes up for in balls. He's one of the only fighters that is actually willing to fight anyone, anywhere. And he has a rock hard chin. Calzaghe was the opposite, had all the skills to be an ATG, but will be remembered for taking the easy fights for 10 years.
Reply 3974
Original post by CB91
What Froch lacks in speed and skill, he more than makes up for in balls. He's one of the only fighters that is actually willing to fight anyone, anywhere. And he has a rock hard chin. Calzaghe was the opposite, had all the skills to be an ATG, but will be remembered for taking the easy fights for 10 years.

Couldn't be more spot on.
Original post by Né Stig
Couldn't be more spot on.

Who do you think would win between Bute and Ward? It's probably the biggest fight for both of them at the moment.
Mayweather is set to spend 90 days in jail for assault on his ex. Due to start on January 6th, he was intending to fight on May 5th, most likely Pacquiao as it seemed both sides were keen to get it done. But, could be delayed, hopefully for a few months later.
Original post by Aky786UK

Original post by Aky786UK
Mayweather is set to spend 90 days in jail for assault on his ex. Due to start on January 6th, he was intending to fight on May 5th, most likely Pacquiao as it seemed both sides were keen to get it done. But, could be delayed, hopefully for a few months later.

yeah just heard this via esnews. damn man no one saw this coming lol

sad news man, he'l probably come out a stronger man after
Original post by oh-my-diddy
yeah just heard this via esnews. damn man no one saw this coming lol

sad news man, he'l probably come out a stronger man after

yeah hopefully he'll come out a man who doesn't hit women
Original post by Arturo Bandini

Original post by Arturo Bandini
yeah hopefully he'll come out a man who doesn't hit women

maybe he just got a bit carried away with the cheap shots.

Latest