The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Floyd did what he had to do. I personally thought it would be a more competitive fight, but alot of guys saw floyd winning by a comfortable margin which was the case yesterday.

Where do you all rank him amongst the all-time greats?

The garcia vs mathysse fight was awesome. I don't think it was as grueling a fight as we predicted it to be. Garcia showed that he's definitely a boxer first and a puncher second, and not the other way around. I'm not going to lie, he's better than i thought and showed that he's capable of boxing on the backfoot. Props to garcia, he's got alot of balls too. It was no mystery that garcia was extremely nervous leading up to the fight right up to the day of the fight and still managed to pull it off. Very impressed but i still think floyd would own him lol
I'm glad molina finally got some kind of official recognition, having been robbed time and time again, i'm happy for him and i hope big things happen for him, i think he has alot of potential
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Manny would destroy Khan. I want to see Khan vs Matthysse.

Fair call, you're probably right. Khan vs Matthysse hmmmmm.... interesting. Khan does not want to be caught by that right hand. Similarly, Matthysse has to catch him first.
Original post by frankieboy
Fair call, you're probably right. Khan vs Matthysse hmmmmm.... interesting. Khan does not want to be caught by that right hand. Similarly, Matthysse has to catch him first.

Technically khan can pull it off vs mathysse, similar to khan vs maidana. However, realistically i don't think khan has the discipline or composure to be consistent through 12 rounds. He's going to get caught as some point and unlike maidana, mathysse will be able to finish him off
This Carlos Molina, same one who got beaten by Khan?
One of the major subjects of discussion also seems to be :

Did Floyd Mayweather manage to achieve the worst ringwalk in the history of boxing last night? With Lil' Wayne gabbling complete nonsensical rubbish over the mic like some yayo'ed up lunatic with constipation and tourettes?

Even worse than his 50 Cent effort not so long ago?

That's the REAL debate about last night.
Original post by Aky786UK
This Carlos Molina, same one who got beaten by Khan?

No. Same name, different fighters. The carlos molina who fought yesterday is the same one who got robbed in his fights against james kirkland, JC Jr and arguably erislandy lara
Original post by frankieboy
One of the major subjects of discussion also seems to be :

Did Floyd Mayweather manage to achieve the worst ringwalk in the history of boxing last night? With Lil' Wayne gabbling complete nonsensical rubbish over the mic like some yayo'ed up lunatic with constipation and tourettes?

Even worse than his 50 Cent effort not so long ago?

That's the REAL debate about last night.

LOL yes totally cringeworthy, and whats with justin bieber hanging with him like they're best buds or something, its hilarious man
Reply 5068
Who do people reckon will win the Tyson Fury v David Haye fight?

I'm backing Haye for this one, i think the experience will show. I would love to see a knockout. If Fury wins it will propel him to maybe a bout against WK or VK?

I would at some point want to see Fury v Price as well even though it won't sell as much now but i think it would be a decent fight as one has the one punch knockout power but has a glass chin whilst the other just seems like a all rounder. Amir Khan should at some point get more active in the ring as well, i would love to see Khan v Brook, I still think he has a chance against Alexander and can pull off a points win, he should adopt the style Garcia had yesterday of boxing with confidence and concentration and clinching on the inside.
Original post by Kutta
Who do people reckon will win the Tyson Fury v David Haye fight?

I'm backing Haye for this one, i think the experience will show. I would love to see a knockout. If Fury wins it will propel him to maybe a bout against WK or VK?

I would at some point want to see Fury v Price as well even though it won't sell as much now but i think it would be a decent fight as one has the one punch knockout power but has a glass chin whilst the other just seems like a all rounder. Amir Khan should at some point get more active in the ring as well, i would love to see Khan v Brook, I still think he has a chance against Alexander and can pull off a points win, he should adopt the style Garcia had yesterday of boxing with confidence and concentration and clinching on the inside.

Hope Haye wins. Can't stand the crap that comes out of Furys mouth.
Every British Boxing fan should support Tyson Fury.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Every British Boxing fan should support Tyson Fury.

It's difficult, man. I'm afraid I'm with Haye in their fight. But Haye being British that's too that's ok.

However, if Fury fights an American, perhaps different story.
It's a tough one, in terms who I want to win. I want Haye to shut up Fury for coming out with the most hyperbole trash talk I've ever seen a boxer come out with (I'm the greatest ever, even than Ali and those before him!") but on the other hand, Fury's dominated the trash talk against Haye so far and I think as a natural heavyweight, he's got more better prospects. Even if he loses tbh, he can come back but I'd probably say Haye I'm favouring atm.
Supporting Haye tbh, Fury is pretty average, the only reason he's got this far is because he's ****ing huge.

I think Haye will be too quick, too powerful and Fury won't be able to keep him off (like Klitschko did).
Reply 5074
I do think Fury puts on an act with all the thing he says to get bums on seats for his fights. I dont think he can honestly believes to himself that he is better than Ali or Frazier. But as long as he backs up the talk he may be considered the best of this generation, if say at the end of his career his record stands at 45, 45 Wins.

But lets be honest, that's unrealistic lol
Reply 5075
Garcia would be an easy win for Floyd, he's slow and sloppy. Mayweather will do exactly the same and dance around Garcia all night wining a decision, just how he fought canelo (who has faster hands then garcia). I don't see anyone giving Floyd problems except for khan and pacman with their speed, especially khan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why oh why didnt we see Pac v PBF in late 09/early 10. :colonhash:
I'd prefer Haye to win but the future prospect of Wladimir taking Fury apart is quite appealing. I really like both the Klitschko's even if their fights these days are just pointless, their documentary is on Netlfix, worth a watch. Both seem like really top guys, very articulate too.

Also I don't know if anyone saw Wladimir's banter with Arnold on twitter

Spoiler

I'm actually really looking forward to the Khan fight too, always enjoy his fights. That said, the idea he could trouble Mayweather, I just can't see it. He's fast but he's not got the power to do the damage in the short term even if he can get at the old man(Floyd has got an underrated chin too). Over the long term Mayweather is just too clever his ring craft is on a different planet to Khan. That said, I can see Mayweather taking the figh, Khan-Mayweather would get his usual box office draw plus pretty much the entire UK boxing market. Got to be a near $50m fight, pretty low risk, nice little pension top up.

Was watching a video of Tyson in his prime training with the bag, and the speed is just terrifying when you think of the power behind it. Tried to find a gif but couldn't, but found this quote

Spoiler

Remember it from his documentary, its brilliant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CB91
Why oh why didnt we see Pac v PBF in late 09/early 10. :colonhash:

It was close. In the words of Guillem Balague on transfer deadline 2013, on the Herrera deal at 2.30pm (which was proven to be never even close), "it's practically done". lol.

A deal had seemed to have been agreed but the blood testing rules killed it, then ego comes into play and neither man wants to back down.

Plus, I doubt Floyd really wanted to fight him then. Pacquiao was on a very steep rise and at his peak and Floyd and his team (Ellerbe), keen to protect that 0, decided to move away I feel.

He'd take the fight now, no doubt because he's seen Marquez give him the blue print on how to beat him and Floyd could still make some decent money but that undefeated tag is something he'd do everything to keep.

No doubt he'll be watching Khan-Alexander in December, seeing any cracks (there are quite a few) in Khan's armour then he'll be on the phone to GB to make the fight happen. Won't happen in the UK despite Floyd's words, Vegas is where the money is.
Original post by jvc95
Garcia would be an easy win for Floyd, he's slow and sloppy. Mayweather will do exactly the same and dance around Garcia all night wining a decision, just how he fought canelo (who has faster hands then garcia). I don't see anyone giving Floyd problems except for khan and pacman with their speed, especially khan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about Garcia/Canelo?

Latest