The Student Room Group

What are the countries without a single decent university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mrlucas
this guy is nuts!

Why?
Seychelles
Laos
Tajikistan
(edited 11 years ago)
Antarctica :^_^:
Reply 23
Original post by Luffy.
What are you talking about in the bold part?

I went on their website and that was the admissions criteria on a few of the courses I checked. When I say admissions criteria I mean the grades required to join the course.
Reply 24
Original post by dbou
I went on their website and that was the admissions criteria on a few of the courses I checked. When I say admissions criteria I mean the grades required to join the course.

Do you mean the university in Maldives.
Reply 25
Not only webometirics. If they dont have a university that is in world top 10 000 in any website. I mean some dont make it in webometrics but in 4icu they are in top 10 000 so those countries doesnt count.
Reply 26
Do you really need a thread on this? Why not just get a list of countries and check yourself? You are getting irritated by peoples guessing, but this is obviously what people will do (name poor countries with poor rates of literacy). It does not need a spam my thread.

If you want actual constructive discussion then fine, otherwise I am moving this to chat.

Original post by Toomanyoptions
Antarctica :^_^:

It is not a country...
Reply 27
Original post by River85
Do you really need a thread on this? Why not just get a list of countries and check yourself? You are getting irritated by peoples guessing, but this is obviously what people will do (name poor countries with poor rates of literacy). It does not need a spam my thread.

If you want actual constructive discussion then fine, otherwise I am moving this to chat.

It is not a country...

I thought there would be people from countries like Maldives and East Timor where there is no single university that makes to world top 10 000 in any website. So they can tell the name of there country if there country dont have a university that makes to world top 10 000 in any website.
I dont want a discussion. I just want the names of those countries.
If you want anything to do to this thread than please close it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Umutara polytechnic in Rwanda #10155
Reply 29
Original post by Luffy.
I thought there would be people from countries like Maldives and East Timor where there is no single university that makes to world top 10 000 in any website. it.

Yes, but East Timor, for example, only has a population of one million. Of these perhaps only half a percent use the Internet. So you are only looking at a few thousand Internet users. It is unlikely there are many, if any, people from east Timor here which is a UK student site dominated by UK students.

Even those from the countries won't necessarily know where universities rank inn the league table you are using.
You can find out countries by just looking up every country in the world. There are only about 200 countries, of which 150 or see will certainly feature, meaning you probably only need to check relatively few, principally in the regions identified in this threadv(eg. Sub Saharan Africa).

I cannot lock the thread now as I have moved it to chat, outside my area. You can report your thread and ask it to be locked.
Reply 30
Original post by River85
Yes, but East Timor, for example, only has a population of one million. Of these perhaps only half a percent use the Internet. So you are only looking at a few thousand Internet users. It is unlikely there are many, if any, people from east Timor here which is a UK student site dominated by UK students.

My country Maldives dont even have a half a million people but I am here in this website.
Reply 31
Original post by Luffy.
My country Maldives dont even have a half a million people but I am here in this website.

Yes, which is why I said there will not be many, not that there won't be any. You also need to consider Internet usage, not just population. Over a third of the Maldives' population uses the Internet. Only 0.2% of East Timor residents use the Internet. That is quite a difference.

I will be surprised if we have any active Members from East Timor, and more than one or two from the Maldives.

Also you do realise this ranking is not an academic ranking? It is a ranking based on online presence, so will be biased against many nations. Because a university does not rank highly it doesn't mean it is not decent. Teaching and research is not assessed.
If that uni in the maldives was the only one available to you, then foreign companies wouldn't hold it against you much. Although if you were going for a job where everyone else went to oxbridge / ivy league USA unis, then you'd struggle. And no offense, but if you wanted a good job in Britain/ the USA, your English would need improving first.

Original post by Luffy.
American university of Afghanistan is ranked 6204 in webometrics and Kabul university ranked 7739 in 4icu so there are universities in Afghanistan that makes to world top 10 000.
Can you name some country in sub sahara Africa that fits to my requirements.
I need few countries that are worse than my country in university education.

Why?

These are educated guesses you could look up, not in Africa
Mongolia
Bhutan
Andorra
Lebanon
Nepal
Cambodia
Papua new Ginea
Belize
El Salvador
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by anony.mouse
If that uni in the maldives was the only one available to you, then foreign companies wouldn't hold it against you much. Although if you were going for a job where everyone else went to oxbridge / ivy league USA unis, then you'd struggle. And no offense, but if you wanted a good job in Britain/ the USA, your English would need improving first.

Why?

I mean is that uni in Maldives accredited in other countries. I mean will I be allowed to apply to the foreign jobs if there are more than 17 000 universities better than that. I mean if I have a degree in that university can I apply to a master degree to a good university.
I mean the thing is not only they don't have many courses, what they teach for diploma is a lot easier than A levels. Lots of people I know are doing diploma there who haven't even passed in gcse and they dont study at all but still get passed.
I mean for degree in teaching secondary Mathematics, they teach only C1 and C2 maths and how to teach and control kids.
And the courses are so few and about half of the people there do teaching.
I mean I know in our local news sometimes there are issues for people who have studied abroad are struggling to get a job because there university is not accredited or something.
What is this accredition?
It helps if a course is accredited by a society. For example in the Uk we have the royal society of chemistry. If a course is accredited by them then it means that they approve of the course content and that it meets high standards.

Ok, if your uni is that bad, you'd struggle then. Although it would probably allow you to get onto a course at a better uni somewhere else.
I can't imagine Lesotho has any.
Reply 36
Original post by anony.mouse
It helps if a course is accredited by a society. For example in the Uk we have the royal society of chemistry. If a course is accredited by them then it means that they approve of the course content and that it meets high standards.

Ok, if your uni is that bad, you'd struggle then. Although it would probably allow you to get onto a course at a better uni somewhere else.

I am sure there wouldn't be any society that would accredited that university courses.
What is actually accreditation? Dont governments do that. I mean if governments do that than maybe some countries like China or Japan may pity accredited ours.
Reply 37
Original post by PinkyPurply
I can't imagine Lesotho has any.

National university of Lesotho ranked 8020 in webometrics and its ranked in 7601 in 4icu so it should be a decent university.
Scotland.

/thread.
Original post by Luffy.
I am sure there wouldn't be any society that would accredited that university courses.
What is actually accreditation? Dont governments do that. I mean if governments do that than maybe some countries like China or Japan may pity accredited ours.

Professional organisations such as the royal society of chemistry or the british psychology society look at courses and if they like them and think they're of a good enough standard, they accredit them. What it means is that employers then know that you've been taught to a high standard if such an organisation approves of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending