The Student Room Group

University of Bath and Birkbeck - Msc in Computer Science

Hi all,

I got an offer from Birkbeck and the University of Bath. I'm struggling to decide as I'm London based and Bath is online. But the problem is that Birkbeck requires attendance 3 times a week from 6-9 PM.

Does anyone here who's taken their Msc in Computer Science courses have feedback on:
- Satisfaction
- Career prospects
What are you hoping to use the MSc for?

Have you applied for any other universities?
Reply 2
To transition over into software development. Applied to ucl (rejected) and imperial
From what I’ve read the online ones don’t have much support from lecturers. The in person 6-9 will probably be really valuable. If you’re London based then even better.
Reply 4
I already have done a masters before. This'll be my second one so I'm not looking for peer support nor support from professors.

Birkbeck only works if you have a part time job
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Bumping this, anyone?
Reply 6
you should consider City University..
Reply 7
Original post by cvgk
you should consider City University..

Why's that?
Reply 8
Original post by alwaysdrifting
Why's that?

I am assuming you applied imperial and ucl if you are looking a university in london city university is a good university, especially data science,AI .I recommend it but it is up to you,good luck...
Reply 9
Original post by cvgk
I am assuming you applied imperial and ucl if you are looking a university in london city university is a good university, especially data science,AI .I recommend it but it is up to you,good luck...

I did but unfortunately UCL and Imperial are full-time. And I'm focused on an MSc in Computer Science and nothing else

Bath seems to rank fairly decently for computer science which is what I'm leaning towards
Reply 10
I am also very interested in reviews of Bath MSc CS online course, the only discussion thread I found is from 4 years ago and is closed. I heard that the course at Bath, as well as all other online courses from UK universities, is lack of student support, no solution/feedback for exercises, even no pre-recorded lectures. Is it all true? If so then I honestly don't know what I will be paying for, only a piece of paper?
I'm also doing the P/T MSc in CS this year, so i'll see you there.

I did a first MSc at another Uni during the COVID period when everything was online. Cameras off, no atmosphere, badly recorded audio and video on lecture captures. Absolute disaster.

In terms of group networking, lab sessions and face-2-face feedback, bouncing ideas of students, staff and lecturers, going into library and revising with peers, you can't beat in-person courses. It's also a motivator when you finished your day job, to get off your butt and physically attend and engage in lectures.

Also, I think Birkbeck MSc CS course is 6-9pm Mon and Tue (two days a week) for the first term, then 3 days in the 2nd term.

Personally, i'd rather have a degree from Birkbeck, University of London, ...than from Bath.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by GoodStewdent
I'm also doing the P/T MSc in CS this year, so i'll see you there.

I did a first MSc at another Uni during the COVID period when everything was online. Cameras off, no atmosphere, badly recorded audio and video on lecture captures. Absolute disaster.

In terms of group networking, lab sessions and face-2-face feedback, bouncing ideas of students, staff and lecturers, going into library and revising with peers, you can't beat in-person courses. It's also a motivator when you finished your day job, to get off your butt and physically attend and engage in lectures.

Also, I think Birkbeck MSc CS course is 6-9pm Mon and Tue (two days a week) for the first term, then 3 days in the 2nd term.

Personally, i'd rather have a degree from Birkbeck, University of London, ...than from Bath.

It seems like Birkbeck is perfect for people that can't work without in class time? I got an offer from both and decided to go for Bath as I unfortunately don't have a job that allows me to be in class at 6-9 two times per week. Ranking wise, Bath seems fairly decent, most haven't really heard of Birkbeck at all.
It seems like Birkbeck is perfect for people that can't work without in class time? I got an offer from both and decided to go for Bath as I unfortunately don't have a job that allows me to be in class at 6-9 two times per week. Ranking wise, Bath seems fairly decent, most haven't really heard of Birkbeck at all.

Maybe do a 2:2 Joint. a year at Bath and a year at Birkbeck.

Then you could say you studied at BathBeck !

(or BirkBath)
Hi all,
I got an offer from Birkbeck and the University of Bath. I'm struggling to decide as I'm London based and Bath is online. But the problem is that Birkbeck requires attendance 3 times a week from 6-9 PM.
Does anyone here who's taken their Msc in Computer Science courses have feedback on:
- Satisfaction
- Career prospects
This is a more updated answer as I just graduated from Birkbeck College, MSc Computer Science few months back. I did the program in London, right inside their college. I must say that the professor don't understanding programming. I have been programming for around 5 years dealing with personal projects, and those Professor teaching programming (Not others who deal with discrete math or computer systems or those non-programming modules), i.e. Java & Software Design Patterns don't understand the logical progression of programming, but I must say that they are good at remembering the entire boilerplate codes and all they ever do is to regurgitate that out to the students. Also, the lecturer from Software Design Patterns simply ripped everything out from online resources to create his lecture notes. He makes no effort in teaching and sets extremely difficult exams that he did not cover in the classroom. Be WARNED! You will be in for a RIDE if you sign up this program. His name is Roman.

Also, Data and Knowledge Management (DKM) is terrible and almost like a fraud to me. The course and delivery is alright, but the exam is totally different from the contents delivered. The style is like the Software Design Patterns module. Be prepared for a surprise for the actual exam.

Even for those non-programming modules, some were terrible. For example, the Fundamentals of Computing (discrete math) lecturer is a russian. He just lacks mathematical reasoning. He would just skipped over certain variables that are important and makes it difficult to understand the progression. Previously, I have done Mathematical Finance with a German Professor in an online couse. I find that Maths, discrete or continuous, it requires a form of logical progression that the Fundamentals of Computing lecturer in Birkbeck does not have.

Well, the lecturer from Cloud Computing and Computer Systems are alright. If you put in the necessary effort, you will pass.

In retrospect, MSc In Software Engineering from University of Westminister could be better for me at that point when I started as the fee was £1000 cheaper, but I wanted a UOL degree. It was the best option for me at that time as I just wanted to visit London and study on a budget. If I have more money, I will definately select UCL over Birkbeck.
Also, if you want an easy degree, this degree might be it as the examinations are open-book and you can attempt the exams at home. Why is it easy? That’s because you can use ChatGPT to get the answers. In case, you do not know about ChatGPT. You can google it and register the service with your email address. The ChatGPT website states that the model might produce inaccurate results. Don’t worry about that as the results produced by ChatGPT will produce an accurate result for the open-book examinations. Of course, this is provided that open-book examinations still exist. You may even get a distinction!

Russell Group universities are better and more relevant than universities from University of London (UOL), there are a few that are outside of London and are slightly more expensive than Birkbeck by close to $10000. If you are not restricted by a budget, then DO NOT go to Birkbeck. Also, it’s better to save a bit more if you can afford Birkbeck, delay the education by a year or more to pay for a better school (after my ordeal in Birbeck, I realise why Universities are ranked. They are ranked according to quality, and Birkbeck is not even on the ranking list by mere excuse that the ranking system is unfair. The point is that if the University is ranked, it’s validated!) sure beats being stuck in a program like those teaching Java, Software Design Patterns, Fundamentals of Computing and DKM in Birkbeck; that is almost half of the program.

UOL is an independent group of Universities focused on research excellence that is not relevant to the market, whereas, Russell Group Universities focused on research excellence that is linked to various industries. If you have a group of highly educated professors doing research without regulations and linkages from various industries, it produces an outcome like abovementioned that can be found in Birkbeck College.

Also, do note that Birkbeck College is only a single building in central London. They have a few buildings scattered around central London as well but its not a campus at all. If you are looking for an actual University campus, Birkbeck is definately not for you. Don’t be fooled by their promotional videos, it’s in fact a small building. Well, as for me I really wanted to visit London for a long term to get away from my country at that time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending