The Student Room Group

I feel so doomed right now.

I was going to write a much more detailed account of this depressing situation that I find myself in, but it ended up being too long and so below is a brief run-down of my ****ed up situation 😁

Step 1: drop out of my third-year of uni during the pandemic because I was in such a bad place mentally and could not even begin to work on my dissertation.

Step 2: Get decent but high-pressure sales job. Continue living in single room in a shared house.

Step 3: meet girl. Fall in love. Get engaged (after 18 months together).

Step 4: look for rental property to live in together. Struggle to get accepted by landlords despite both being full-time employed and with references. Get swindled out of £2k by way of a facebook marketplace rental scam.

Step 5: My companies annual turnover report is in...it's been a bad year and jobs are going to be cut. I haven't hit target for three plus months and so I am being let go at the end of the month.

Step 6: one week after losing my job, my Fiancé has a positive pregnancy test.

Step 7: I have been unemployed and on Universal Credit for 2 months. My rent has increased and after rent I have £45 per week to survive on in the midst of a cost of living crisis. My family is dirt poor so no parental help for me. (Seriously, my dad currently lives in a tent in a friends back garden).

My pregnant Fiancé is living at her mums house which she also shares with her two brothers.

Step 8: apply for council housing, but get told that there are over 4000 people on the waiting list, a baby wouldn't be considered as part of the application until it is 6-months old, and that we will likely never be offered a place.

Even with both of us in full-time work, the rental market is hell to navigate. With me out of work currently and us expecting a child, I fancy our chances of getting a private rental as close to a big fat nil.

Step 9: cry?
Original post by Yojmoj
I was going to write a much more detailed account of this depressing situation that I find myself in, but it ended up being too long and so below is a brief run-down of my ****ed up situation 😁

Step 1: drop out of my third-year of uni during the pandemic because I was in such a bad place mentally and could not even begin to work on my dissertation.

Step 2: Get decent but high-pressure sales job. Continue living in single room in a shared house.

Step 4: look for rental property to live in together. Struggle to get accepted by landlords despite both being full-time employed and with references. Get swindled out of £2k by way of a facebook marketplace rental scam.

Step 5: My companies annual turnover report is in...it's been a bad year and jobs are going to be cut. I haven't hit target for three plus months and so I am being let go at the end of the month.

Step 7: I have been unemployed and on Universal Credit for 2 months. My rent has increased and after rent I have £45 per week to survive on in the midst of a cost of living crisis. My family is dirt poor so no parental help for me. (Seriously, my dad currently lives in a tent in a friends back garden).

My pregnant Fiancé is living at her mums house which she also shares with her two brothers.

Step 8: apply for council housing, but get told that there are over 4000 people on the waiting list, a baby wouldn't be considered as part of the application until it is 6-months old, and that we will likely never be offered a place.

Even with both of us in full-time work, the rental market is hell to navigate. With me out of work currently and us expecting a child, I fancy our chances of getting a private rental as close to a big fat nil.

When I first read it I was ready to congratulate you as your life seemed to be going up but not down but after I read it I understand and really ? I understand if landlords turn down people on benefits street that are not in work but you in full time employment? It’s a bit ridiculous on their behalf . Have you thought about going to a foodbank so you don’t need to pay for food ? Or popping in to homeless charities in your local area that offer free food during the day ? You can get discount on council tax as well if your a single person. If you have mental health such as depression you can also apply for PIP and get the higher rate (with doctors proof so go to your GP) then you will easily get £400 a month so you won’t have to be skint, it will be tight though (I know as I tried living on benefits for a while it’s hard if it wasn’t for my boyfriend or my dad chipping in I would of walked into a foodbank) . Clothing, have you thought about going to a homeless charity and getting free donated clothes from there? My local homeless charity does that so there should be one from your area too. Have you thought about going to the council and asking for homeless accomdation? They will usually pay for that as well if it’s supported housing. Does UC pay for your rent? Is it in the private sector? Carry on claiming UC as it is a good benefit without it you would be a lot worse.

and finally about the council housing once your baby is born you will be ramped up priority look at the people that get council housing they’re all families with kids how often does a lone single person get it? Or couples without kids? Your girlfriend can also get child benefit to support her child and other benefits too when the time comes later so don’t worry . Perhaps maybe if your tight she could work as well? Is your girlfriend still working or did she stop due to pregnancy? If so she can help you out ask her to chip in if your that poor. If you can’t afford a baby I know it sounds cruel but you got to do what’s best for you have you thought about giving it to an orphanage or abortion? If you don’t want the child to suffer hard times growing up . At the end of the day it’s up to you and what your girlfriend wants to do with your child. I can only advice, hope it helped. And you will get through this.
Original post by Anonymous
When I first read it I was ready to congratulate you as your life seemed to be going up but not down but after I read it I understand and really ? I understand if landlords turn down people on benefits street that are not in work but you in full time employment? It’s a bit ridiculous on their behalf . Have you thought about going to a foodbank so you don’t need to pay for food ? Or popping in to homeless charities in your local area that offer free food during the day ? You can get discount on council tax as well if your a single person. If you have mental health such as depression you can also apply for PIP and get the higher rate (with doctors proof so go to your GP) then you will easily get £400 a month so you won’t have to be skint, it will be tight though (I know as I tried living on benefits for a while it’s hard if it wasn’t for my boyfriend or my dad chipping in I would of walked into a foodbank) . Clothing, have you thought about going to a homeless charity and getting free donated clothes from there? My local homeless charity does that so there should be one from your area too. Have you thought about going to the council and asking for homeless accomdation? They will usually pay for that as well if it’s supported housing. Does UC pay for your rent? Is it in the private sector? Carry on claiming UC as it is a good benefit without it you would be a lot worse.

and finally about the council housing once your baby is born you will be ramped up priority look at the people that get council housing they’re all families with kids how often does a lone single person get it? Or couples without kids? Your girlfriend can also get child benefit to support her child and other benefits too when the time comes later so don’t worry . Perhaps maybe if your tight she could work as well? Is your girlfriend still working or did she stop due to pregnancy? If so she can help you out ask her to chip in if your that poor. If you can’t afford a baby I know it sounds cruel but you got to do what’s best for you have you thought about giving it to an orphanage or abortion? If you don’t want the child to suffer hard times growing up . At the end of the day it’s up to you and what your girlfriend wants to do with your child. I can only advice, hope it helped. And you will get through this.

Also I know it’s illegal but I did this while living away on benefits if you can’t afford the gas or the water bill as there’s no discount on that tell them you’ve moved to a different area of the country like far away enough that it’s a different company and they’ll stop charging you, they’ll charge you a leaving fee but that leaving fee is far less than paying electricity and gas every month which is bloody expensive especially when you don’t know how to read a meter . Because £45 isn’t enough for bills . Food just about but not bills
Original post by Yojmoj

Honestly today has been one of my existential crisis days just crying at my long list of failures and how many episodes of bad luck I have had in every area of my damn life...

But the first point you mentioned makes me feel so less alone I also dropped out of uni in the last year because of a health issue and my mom was ill and hospitalised and I literally broke mentally ... And now I am in debt for a course I didn't even finish and in hindsight the course was kind of useless so now I feel like a massive failure and a burden to my self and my mom...

God help me
Bro has it tough oh my days praying for you man

Quick Reply

Latest