The Student Room Group

Calculating cardiac output from table

It's question 5bii on this link:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-BIOL1-QP-JAN12.PDF

I know the equation for cardiac output is: cardiac output = stroke volume x heart rate,

His heart rate is 85.7 because I've already found out that bit and checked it against the markscheme, I don't understand where to find the stroke volume from that table though.

The markscheme cardiac output answer is anywhere from 7905 - 7998, how do I get this answer?
Reply 1
Stroke volume is the volume of blood pumped out from a ventricle per beat. It is calculated by subtracting the end-systolic volume (i.e. the volume of blood at the end of the contraction, the lowest volume) from the end-diastolic volume (i.e. the volume of blood at the end of filling, the highest volume). You are given the volumes of blood in a ventricle at various points over one cardiac cycle so you can estimate stroke volume by subtracting the lowest volume from the highest volume. If you do it using the values for 0.1s and 0.5s, you get an answer in the range given by the markscheme.
Reply 2
Original post by onefour
Stroke volume is the volume of blood pumped out from a ventricle per beat. It is calculated by subtracting the end-systolic volume (i.e. the volume of blood at the end of the contraction, the lowest volume) from the end-diastolic volume (i.e. the volume of blood at the end of filling, the highest volume). You are given the volumes of blood in a ventricle at various points over one cardiac cycle so you can estimate stroke volume by subtracting the lowest volume from the highest volume. If you do it using the values for 0.1s and 0.5s, you get an answer in the range given by the markscheme.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
but the biggest value is 125, the smallest is 55, when you substract them you get 70 and 70x85.7 doesn't gave an answer on the markscheme, it gives a value to 6000 mark scheme says 7905-7998

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending