The Student Room Group

nea computer science a level

my project is a fitness app which gives users personalzied meal plans and workouts. I need to find a way to include alghorims to develop it further because right now its a store and retrievel system . How can I add alghtorims to make the fitness app more complex
Reply 1
how are you personalising meal plans with SELECT * FROM ...?

you should use get the user to enter preferences and use them to map to many-to-many meal plans/workouts, then it'd actually be personalised
Reply 2
Original post by mosjsjss
my project is a fitness app which gives users personalzied meal plans and workouts. I need to find a way to include alghorims to develop it further because right now its a store and retrievel system . How can I add alghtorims to make the fitness app more complex
Sorry I'm late to join! I've had mock exams and I had a response prepared but I accidentally closed the tab and it didn't save my response.

My answer:
See if there is a recipes RESTful API you can access and make use of. You can show the skill of parsing and handling JSON and/or XML through manipulating the data you need based off the ingredients that are currently available. You can have some sort of time checker algorithm to check what time of day it is and then based off of this, you can draw up a series of recipes to suggest to make. For instance, if you didn't already have this functionality, if it was breakfast time, and your app suggested KFC, this wouldn't be a good source. Upon collecting it in a JSON file format, you can then store the recipes in like a database and carry out SQL queries to access the data based on the user's requirements so you also hit the parameterised cross-table SQL.

You can add a carbon footprint calculator for each of the foods that are being used for the recipes through storing the amount of CO2 being released in the procurement and growth of each of the products and then output this with each other recipe titles.

You can create a calorie counter based on the foods that are being eaten.

You can add features such as lactose intolerance recipes and other allergens.

You can add an "Eat like a celebrity feature".

VERY VERY COMPLEX: You can add like a suggestive recipe plan based on real time data. So you look at the activity of the person, which you can do through connecting maybe a FitBit or an Apple Watch through the system (via maybe an API?), and instead of having the user to input the values in themselves, you can just access the API data upon selecting an option and then the user entering the things they have in their fridge etc. You will require things like JSON and API fetching, maybe some web scraping to present the data?, server side scripting and some sort of custom interpretation algorithms so it's worth considering looking it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending