The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Live Q&A session

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know we will be holding a live Q&A session where we will be in this thread to answer any questions you may still have about studying at the University of Derby.

Also on hand will be our student buddies who are all current undergraduate students from all stages of study and from various faculties.

So any questions feel free to drop by and ask away.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone my name is Neelam Adil and I am a student buddy at the University of Derby. I am currently studying BA Early Childhood Studies, in my second year. I am from the Education, Health and Science (EHS) faculty and have quite a bit of knowledge of other courses.

I will be here to answer any of your questions all day. So please feel free to ask anything you want. We are all here to help :smile:
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Original post by UoD-EHS-Buddy
Hi everyone my name is Neelam Adil and I am a student buddy at the University of Derby. I am currently studying BA Early Childhood Studies, in my second year. I am from the Education, Health and Science (EHS) faculty and have quite a bit of knowledge of other courses.

I will be here to answer any of your questions all day. So please feel free to ask anything you want. We are all here to help :smile:

Hi I want to do Early Childhood Studies. What days and times are you at uni during first year please? Such as earliest start, latest finish, full days etc. I would have to travel in so would like to have some idea. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, well during first and second year, the earliest times are at 9am and the latest is 4pm. Lectures start in the mornings from 9am till 12 pm or in the evenings 1pm till 4pm (3hour lectures with plenety of breaks).

As you will be doing 3 modules each year, which consists of three lectures these will be split over 3 days Monday-Wednesday. However, the third years do have 1 or 2 evening classes. This all depends on the timetable and the group you will be in. You may also have two lectues in one day so you might have a day off as well. Thursdays and Fridays are placement days, you will only need to complete 15 days in placement.

This course is very flexible and you will have plenety of time to do your work or even a part time job.

Also, if you want more information about this course and if you want some one to get in touch, then please enter you details in the below link:
http://www.derby.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/campaigns/studyattheuniversityofderby/

Thnaks :smile:
Hi, thats great Ealy Childhood Studies is a great course. The earliest start for full time applicants is 9am and the latest finish is 4pm. Lectures run for 3 hours, so 9am-12pm or 1pm-4pm. However, some third years have evening lectures. However, this all depends on the timetable and group you are placed in.

There are three modules every semester which is split over 3 days Monaday-Wednesday. You may also have two lectures in one day and one on the other day, so might get a day off. Also, Thursday and Friday are placemnet days which only consists of 15 days.

This course is very flexible and you will have plenety of time to complete your work or even a part time job. I live in central derby and know friends who commute to university, and they all find it fine and flexible.

If you will like more information on this course and if you want someone to get in touch with you, can you please enter your details on the link below:
http://www.derby.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/campaigns/studyattheuniversityofderby/

Thnak you :smile:
Hi, that’s great Early Childhood Studies is a great course. The earliest start for full time applicants is 9am and the latest finish is 4pm. Lectures run for 3 hours, so 9am-12pm or 1pm-4pm. However, some third years have evening lectures. However, this all depends on the timetable and group you are placed in.

There are three modules every semester which is split over 3 days Monday-Wednesday. You may also have two lectures in one day and one on the other day, so might get a day off. Also, Thursday and Friday are placement days which only consist of 15 days.

This course is very flexible and you will have plenty of time to complete your work or even a part time job. I live in central derby and know friends who commute to university, and they all find it fine and flexible.

If you will like more information on this course and if you want someone to get in touch with you, can you please enter your details on the link below:

Thank you :smile:
Hi, that’s great Early Childhood Studies is a great course. The earliest start for full time applicants is 9am and the latest finish is 4pm. Lectures run for 3 hours, so 9am-12pm or 1pm-4pm. However, some third years have evening lectures. However, this all depends on the timetable and group you are placed in.

There are three modules every semester which is split over 3 days Monday-Wednesday. You may also have two lectures in one day and one on the other day, so might get a day off. Also, Thursday and Friday are placement days which only consist of 15 days.

This course is very flexible and you will have plenty of time to complete your work or even a part time job. I live in central derby and know friends who commute to university, and they all find it fine and flexible.

Hi Lynette,

Sorry for the wait, our buddy's account seems to be encountering some problems, however I've quoted her response for you below.

Hope this helps and any other questions please don't hesitate to ask :-)

Reply 8
Hi, how much would it cost a full time student to stay at the largest of halls of residence per month, for an average student? Would you advise getting a part time job?
Original post by fazere
Hi, how much would it cost a full time student to stay at the largest of halls of residence per month, for an average student? Would you advise getting a part time job?

Hi, I am not quite sure what you specifically mean by the largest of halls. Do you mean the most expensive or bigger rooms. I can help you out with information on the Halls of Residence, as I have gained a lot of experience from there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by UoD-EHS-Buddy
Hi, I am not quite sure what you specifically mean by the largest of halls. Do you mean the most expensive or bigger rooms. I can help you out with the Halls of Residence, as I have gained a lot of experience from there.

Hi, thanks for replying, I meant more as a generalization. So how much would an average room cost for a first year student? The rooms that are most common I mean :smile:
Original post by University of Derby
Hi Lynette,

Sorry for the wait, our buddy's account seems to be encountering some problems, however I've quoted her response for you below.

Hope this helps and any other questions please don't hesitate to ask :-)

Thanks for that. One of the biggest issues i have is that i would have to travel for around 30-40 mins down the a38 and so it would be really busy at the time i would have to leave home. It worries me a little :/
Would you have to do placement on both Thursday and Friday? Can you find your own placement or do the university place you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fazere
Hi, thanks for replying, I meant more as a generalization. So how much would an average room cost for a first year student? The rooms that are most common I mean :smile:

Hi, the average standard room will cost £92.89 weekly (40 week contract), so monthly it will add up to £371.56. If you would like more information on the cost of rooms, please click on the link below:
http://www.derby.ac.uk/halls/what-will-my-room-cost

If you would like more informatin on the experience of Halls then please feel free to read my blog. Neelam's experience living in halls

If you would like more information, please ask away! Thanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Do you have to apply for student finance before you apply for the halls??

Also, I know you can move in with friends if you are a returning student but what if you are a new student?? Can you? And if so, how?
Original post by fazere

Hi Fazere,

We still seem to be encountering some issues with our buddy's profile.

Below is her response :-)

Hi, the average standard room will cost £92.89 weekly, so monthly it will add up to £371.56. If you would like more information on the cost of rooms, please click on the link below:
Find out how much your room will cost

If you would like more information on the experience of Halls then please feel free to read my blog. Neelam's experience living in halls

If you would like more information, please ask away! Thanks
Original post by fazere

Most students do get a part time job for an extra bit of cash; however some students don't and can handle their money well (which is not hard). However, some students get part-time jobs to extend their CV. It depends on what specifically you want from the part-time job.

I would advise a part-time job for your CV and it is great for that extra bit of cash, it all adds up. But, I would also advise you to take a few lectures and see how you can handle your University work and see if you still have enough time for a part-time job.

Also, the University also gives the students an opportunity to work for the Student employment Agency: http://www.derby.ac.uk/student-employment-agency
Applying for this can help you be employed to work for open days, work for the University and advertise the University in schools and colleges. This is a very flexible employment opportunity and helps you find a job when you want it and have time for this as well. The University keeps you regularly updated on the current jobs available. The pay is great as well, ranging from £6.39- £7.50 + depending on the job.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Crazyalex123
Do you have to apply for student finance before you apply for the halls??

Also, I know you can move in with friends if you are a returning student but what if you are a new student?? Can you? And if so, how?

Hi Alex,

Student Finance is a competely seperate process to halls, so as long as you have the deposit then you can reserve your room (remember some students self finance).

In terms of choosing flat mates your best option would be to ring the student living team and enquire with them, there might be a deadline for this as they will obviously need a flat with x amount of empty rooms.

The student living team can be contacted on the below number

01332 594111

Hope this helps
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank you

Would you have to do placement for ECS on both days (Thursday and Friday)? Are you able to find your own placement or do the university place you?

Also do you have any details about FdA children's and young people's services? Again such as days attending university, earliest start, latest finish etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lynetteb35
Thanks for that. One of the biggest issues i have is that i would have to travel for around 30-40 mins down the a38 and so it would be really busy at the time i would have to leave home. It worries me a little :/
Would you have to do placement on both Thursday and Friday? Can you find your own placement or do the university place you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, ok it will be fine, don't worry about it. I have friends who live 2 hours away. As soon as you get into the routine you should be fine. Also, if you explain your concerns to your tutors they can help make it flexible for you.

You can choose either Thursday or Friday. I am doing both days at the minute. Yes, you can find your own placement. Some students chose placements close to their home. During the first few days at University, the lecturers ask of three different placements or areas you would like to attend and they will help place you, or you can do this yourself.

For information on FdA children's and young people's services, I would advise on attending the next open day on Saturday 16th March. The open days are really good to go to; you can even looks at other courses you may be interested in. If you can't attend please look at the following days on this link: http://www.derby.ac.uk/study/opendays/book/derby/

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by University of Derby
Hi Alex,

Student Finance is a competely seperate process to halls, so as long as you have the deposit then you can reserve your room (remember some students self finance).

In terms of choosing flat mates your best option would be to ring the student living team and enquire with them, there might be a deadline for this as they will obviously need a flat with x amount of empty rooms.

The student living team can be contact on the below number

01332 594111

Hope this helps

Thanks =) I have the booking fee delayed till first funding of student finance.

Another question: Is there a place at the university to help students get part-time jobs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending