The Student Room Group

Feminist Frequency

Scroll to see replies

Original post by truffle_girl
So, do you start many threads, in aid of men's problems? What do you do, other than "sometimes admit things happen to men, too"?

well most of my threads are related to personal experience, which is the nature of the world, but you will note I have strongly advocated male contraception, change in the definition in rape within the law and a shift in men's childcare rights.

You may also note that I did follow a girl around shouting rapist at her because she felt up my male friends bum.
(edited 11 years ago)
Pretty much sums up the feminist mentality, spoken or otherwise: when it happens to women, it's bad; when it happens to men, who cares?

Could you do me a favour and only reply to my posts if you have something of value to say, thanks.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Could you do me a favour and only reply to my posts if you have something of value to say, thanks.

Seriously, I think you need to take your own advice.
Original post by redferry
well most of my threads are related to personal experience, which is the nature of the world, but you will note I have strongly advocated male contraception, change in the definition in rape within the law and a shift in men's childcare rights.

You may also note that I did follow a girl around shouting rapist at her because she felt up my male friends bum.

We have to be careful not to let "personal experience" dictate our views too heavily, of course. Just would make more sense, to me, to start threads on BOTH genders' issues, and call yourself a 'egalitarian' etc; rather than a 'feminist' and only starting threads etc on women's issues.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 104
I wish we could all just support egalitarianism and focus on problems for both genders. There is nothing inherently wrong with feminism, but it leads to people like femininist frequency who lose focus on the actual problems, take it completely overboard and make moronic points. Hence the 'whiny' stigma attached to many prominent feminists.
Seriously, I think you need to take your own advice.

Well you see my response actually explained why some interactions are/should be considered differently when the genders are reversed while you just kind of ignored everything I said in favour of a typical anti-feminist strawman. Which pretty much sums up the anti-feminist mentality, am I right?:rolleyes:

The funny thing is the guys on here are the first to point out how men are bigger and stronger than women but apparently taking this fact into account when analysing social interaction is super anti-male and suddenly we're all perfectly equal.
We have to be careful not to let "personal experience" dictate our views too heavily, of course. Just would make more sense, to me, to start threads on BOTH genders' issues, and call yourself a 'egalitarian' etc; rather than a 'feminist' and only starting threads etc on women's issues.

Personal experience does not dictate my views at all, but obviously makes it easier to prompt discussion and share information.

I don't like giving over feminism to the nutters, that means they won and drove all the normal people out.

Also I don't ONLY start threads on womens issues. I've started threads on hardships faced by working class males in this country before now, along with gender neutral upbringings in children, amongst other things, also I regularly come into threads especially in the relationship section explaining that boy's aren't some kind of weird disconnected species they're just the same as everyone else.
Well you see my response actually explained why some interactions are/should be considered differently when the genders are reversed while you just kind of ignored everything I said in favour of a typical anti-feminist strawman. Which pretty much sums up the anti-feminist mentality, am I right?:rolleyes:

Given that you didn't say much at all to support your assertion, what was there to go on? Just the usual, "I say it, therefore it's true". Oh, and for someone whose first post to the thread was: "You not seeing these things due to a lack of social life/female friends is not the same as these things never happening, hth.", you seem very critical of other people's "strawmanning" and such like.

The funny thing is the guys on here are the first to point out how men are bigger and stronger than women

Can't see where this has been done, but, hey; and you talk about "strawmanning"? Jesus....
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dartanoir
x

Whilst I agree with you that she could have spent the money on something better (personally I'd rather see something against photoshopping), I do think that you're being overly harsh in your points and here's why.

1) What she is doing isn't revolutionary. There are statistics, information, blogs, whatever dedicated to this issue already. http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/01/27/women-remain-outsiders-video-game-industry/275JKqy3rFylT7TxgPmO3K/story.html being one of the examples. Plus anyone who has ever played a video knows that yes - there is an issue. Women are hyper-sexualised, rarely portrayed as anything other than damsel in distress, etc. But basically my point is that we already know all of this.

Feminist Frequency is a much larger and more 'powerful' website than those. Moreover, there's nothing to say that the websites can't calibrate together. A message is stronger when heard from many places rath

2) If you have such an issue with the video game industry that 'exploits' women - why are you pumping thousands of dollars into it by buying the said games? There is plenty of in dept information regarding the games you've discussed AND videos of game play available online.

Why should we have to boycott everything just because we don't like it? What's wrong with demanding change instead? And are you kidding me? Those shi**y online games are nothing compared to the quality of mainstream video games.

3) And lastly my biggest issue with this project is the fact that instead of celebrating strong female characters and empowering women you keep going on and on about how weak and pathetic we are as women, thus enforcing the point made my video games. Yes you raise an issue - but then (like a damsel in distress) wait for others to sort out the mess for you.

What did you expect? A woman to make an entire new video game using a mere $160000? Do you know how much the gaming industry makes a year? She's trying to point out their flaws and raise awareness to promote change- what else could she do, design a new game? Sue them? :lolwut:
Original post by hollywoodbudgie

Why should we have to boycott everything just because we don't like it? What's wrong with demanding change instead? And are you kidding me? Those shi**y online games are nothing compared to the quality of mainstream video games.

So, what is your problem with video games?
Reply 110
Whilst I agree with you that she could have spent the money on something better (personally I'd rather see something against photoshopping), I do think that you're being overly harsh in your points and here's why.

Feminist Frequency is a much larger and more 'powerful' website than those. Moreover, there's nothing to say that the websites can't calibrate together. A message is stronger when heard from many places rath

What did you expect? A woman to make an entire new video game using a mere $160000? Do you know how much the gaming industry makes a year? She's trying to point out their flaws and raise awareness to promote change- what else could she do, design a new game? Sue them? :lolwut:
There isn't a problem in the first place. There are females in video games, likewise there are more male characters, but whats the damn problem? why can't a female play a game and not have some stigma around everything being degrading and objectifying. I find it ridiculous that when there are more important issues you feel the need to attack the video game industry for just subconsciously thinking of characters for a game. There are economics involved in the gaming industry as well you know.

TL;DR all your points sound like feminazi points attacking things when there's clearly nothing wrong with them
Given that you didn't say much at all to support your assertion, what was there to go on? Just the usual, "I say it, therefore it's true". Oh, and for someone whose first post to the thread was: "You not seeing these things due to a lack of social life/female friends is not the same as these things never happening, hth.", you seem very critical of other people's "strawmanning" and such like.

Uh I was responding to a poster whose sum contribution to this thread is 'you are ugly and you are lying' so forgive me if I don't feel any particular need to engage him on an intellectual level.

Can't see where this has been done, but, hey; and you talk about "strawmanning"? Jesus....

Hey look you're doing that thing where you pick up on a really trivial part of my post and ignore the actual point being made! Oh what fun it is to debate with you! You know, even if no guy on here had ever claimed men are stronger than women (this took about 10 seconds to find), it wouldn't change the fact that, y'know, men are on average stronger than women and the point would still stand. But nope, once again you feel the need to stifle any kind of productive discussion with reductive pedantic flimflam. Yeah that's right; flimflam.
(edited 11 years ago)
Uh I was responding to a poster whose sum contribution to this thread is 'you are ugly and you are lying' so forgive me if I don't feel any particular need to engage him on an intellectual level.

I don't see how this makes ad-hominem attacks anything but infantile.

Hey look you're doing that thing where you pick up on a really trivial part of my post and ignore the actual point being made!

You don't MAKE many points, at all.

Oh what fun it is to debate with you! You know, even if no guy on here had ever claimed men are stronger than women (this took about 10 seconds to find),

So, a tiny minority of guys, who haven't even entered this discussion, have said these things? How are they relevant? Why equate guys saying this, to guys who disagree with male/female victims of inappropriate behaviour? Your point is only of any relevance, if you can show a link between the two groups. What you're doing is effectively STRAW-MANNING, ironically.

Oh, and you SEARCHED for something, and found it? Reminds me of the girl involved in the Glasgow University Students' Union fiasco, basing an article around what can be found online, if you SEARCH FOR IT.
I don't see how this makes ad-hominem attacks anything but infantile.

You don't MAKE many points, at all.

So, a tiny minority of guys, who haven't even entered this discussion, have said these things? How are they relevant? Why equate guys saying this, to guys who disagree with male/female victims of inappropriate behaviour? Your point is only of any relevance, if you can show a link between the two groups. What you're doing is effectively STRAW-MANNING, ironically.

Oh, and you SEARCHED for something, and found it? Reminds me of the girl involved in the Glasgow University Students' Union fiasco, basing an article around what can be found online, if you SEARCH FOR IT.

Refer to post #109. Thank you.
And you accuse others of ignoring opposing arguments? Oh, and I've read the thread you linked; halfway through, and can only find ONE guy arguing that men are stronger/better than women.....I'll be the first to admit, if the next half of which has seen an influx of misogynists, however.

EDIT: I've just read ALL the thread. Total number of such people = two. WOW.......
(edited 11 years ago)
So, what is your problem with video games?

Original post by Robbie242
all your points sound like feminazi points attacking things when there's clearly nothing wrong with them

Really?

Granted, there are some good examples recently including how the female armour in Skyrim isn't overly sexualised and Tomb Raider comes close to a success, BUT the vast majority of female characters in games are mere eye candy.
Reply 116
Really?

Granted, there are some good examples recently including how the female armour in Skyrim isn't overly sexualised and Tomb Raider comes close to a success, BUT the vast majority of female characters in games are mere eye candy.
Okay but the fact is, video-games have little to no influence on sexism and exploitation, it is the individual not the game. Granted, a lot of those are over sexualised, but in the end they're just games, to be played, not analysed just played to have fun and immerse in the story. What I understand is you are unhappy the ways in which a woman is portrayed in these games, but if you watched the counter video to this feminist frequency idiot then you'd see that almost all her points are bull****.

Why can't we just play games for the sake of playing games, there are games where women are not eye candy and then there are games where they are, deal with it. it is the producers decision, not the angry herd of feminists.
Reply 117
Original post by Robbie242
Feminism just doesn't work though, its horribly unbalanced due to the extreme-feminazi's. I hate anything that directly dedicated to one gender, I extremely respect Emmeline Pankhurst, Millicent Fawcett/ Frances Mary Buss etc but modern day feminism is just dead, the majority of the opportunities have being claimed and now even stereotypes are going against men, the most controversial ones of course being domestic violence and rape

emmeline pankhurst? That racist, exclusive suffragette who put white feathers on underage boys to force them to fight in the war, who ran a feminist group of people who commited terrorist acts towards mp's and only originally wanted the vote for middle class women?

She isn't respectable in the slightest.

Pankhurst aside. I don't give a crap about the 'true feminist' fallacy people keep spouting out here. Fact of the matter is. Rad fems tend to hold more political power, and normal feminists do nothing to regulate their own movement. I can't and won't consider such a terrible movement a movement for equality. All it is is just a movement of self interest.
Reply 118
Original post by bottled
emmeline pankhurst? That racist, exclusive suffragette who put white feathers on underage boys to force them to fight in the war, who ran a feminist group of people who commited terrorist acts towards mp's and only originally wanted the vote for middle class women?

She isn't respectable in the slightest.

Pankhurst aside. I don't give a crap about the 'true feminist' fallacy people keep spouting out here. Fact of the matter is. Rad fems tend to hold more political power, and normal feminists do nothing to regulate their own movement. I can't and won't consider such a terrible movement a movement for equality. All it is is just a movement of self interest.
Granted, first part being true but some argue her direct approach was more effective than the peaceful NUWSS methods so it did bring some changes to the movement. (I did history so I had to consider both sides of the arguments for and against the WSPU)

and Agreed, its going nowhere with normal feminists and then radical feminists just seem to lead the movement (in a bad way obviously) and yes I totally agree, if they really wanted equality then they'd be in favour egalitarianism.
Reply 119

Look at that guys muscles. It's completely sexualising him, he's just eye candy for girl gamers. He may be a warrior but no one is that buff. This gives an unrealistic expectation of the male body for females. Ban this game. Thanks.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending