The Student Room Group

Critics for The Great Gatsby and Othello

I need to know some critics and their theories that I can use for my essay
Reply 1
You can find critic quotes pretty easily on quizlet. I don't do gatsby, but here's my critic stuff for Othello:

AO5 Critical theory
Christianity
- Several 20th cent. Critics note the Christian signification of certain speeches (2.33 and 2.24), Othello has been compared to Job, Judas and Adam; Desdemona with Christ and Iago with Satan.
- Some critics suggest that Othello is damned when he commits suicide because he has sinned against God’s law.
- Other critics suggest that Othello affirms a morality that is consistent with Christianity; it presents a positive view of love and faith, shows that vengeance is wicked, pride dangerous, and frowns on destructiveness of jealousy and malice.
Race
- Michael Neil ‘to talk about race in Othello is inevitably to fall into some degree of anachronism, while to ignore it is to efface something fundamental to the tragedy’.
Feminist critics
- Highlight the ways Shakespeare portrays gender roles
- After a 1610 production, Henry Jackson recalled Desdemona ‘entreated the pity of the spectators by her very countenance’
- Changed in late 20th cent. When feminist critics underscored Desdemona’s initial independence and Emilia’s eventual strength, outlined how they and - Bianca were constrained by male characters’ patriarchal assumptions.
- Feminist perspective views early modern England’s preoccupation with cuckoldry as demonstrating a basic male insecurity about women’s sexuality.
Marxist reading
- Concerned with the economic and psychological impact of early modern England’s hierarchical social system.
- Play’s exploration of rank and class goes beyond the military. Iago’s advice ‘Put money in thy purse’ suggests a new economic model has replaced the feudal obligations of service.
Original post by yangoe
You can find critic quotes pretty easily on quizlet. I don't do gatsby, but here's my critic stuff for Othello:

AO5 Critical theory
Christianity
- Several 20th cent. Critics note the Christian signification of certain speeches (2.33 and 2.24), Othello has been compared to Job, Judas and Adam; Desdemona with Christ and Iago with Satan.
- Some critics suggest that Othello is damned when he commits suicide because he has sinned against God’s law.
- Other critics suggest that Othello affirms a morality that is consistent with Christianity; it presents a positive view of love and faith, shows that vengeance is wicked, pride dangerous, and frowns on destructiveness of jealousy and malice.
Race
- Michael Neil ‘to talk about race in Othello is inevitably to fall into some degree of anachronism, while to ignore it is to efface something fundamental to the tragedy’.
Feminist critics
- Highlight the ways Shakespeare portrays gender roles
- After a 1610 production, Henry Jackson recalled Desdemona ‘entreated the pity of the spectators by her very countenance’
- Changed in late 20th cent. When feminist critics underscored Desdemona’s initial independence and Emilia’s eventual strength, outlined how they and - Bianca were constrained by male characters’ patriarchal assumptions.
- Feminist perspective views early modern England’s preoccupation with cuckoldry as demonstrating a basic male insecurity about women’s sexuality.
Marxist reading
- Concerned with the economic and psychological impact of early modern England’s hierarchical social system.
- Play’s exploration of rank and class goes beyond the military. Iago’s advice ‘Put money in thy purse’ suggests a new economic model has replaced the feudal obligations of service.

Do I have to list the name of each critic that I use in my essay or could i just generally say "Feminist critics may argue that.."?
Reply 3
You don’t have to name the critic, ‘Feminist critics’ is fine, or ‘From a Feminist perspective’etc
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending