Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Why is the track of gamma ray in the cloud chamber look like a cloud ( i.e. like scribble)? and are the tracks bold like in alpha or faint like in beta and why too?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Gammas don't leave tracks - they only create one ion - what you see are the tracks formed by secondary electrons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teachercol)
    Gammas don't leave tracks - they only create one ion - what you see are the tracks formed by secondary electrons
    I think it does..... it is even drawn in my book like the one in picture labelled Z
    http://physics.stgabss.net/4E5N%20Sc...activity/9.jpg

ReputationRep:
    What you are seeing in z are the tracks of secondary electrons . The gammas are going down the clear bit in the middle.

When a gamma is absorbed it only creates one ion - but - the electron has almost all the energy of the gamma so it then creates the tracks that you see - and why they look like the tracks from betas.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.