The Student Room Group

Mini pupillage struggles

I have been applying for mini pupillage a for the upcoming months prior to gateway opening but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to get one! Most chambers just reject me. I have a 1st class degree in law, I’ve had several scholarships and I do things outside of my degree. I’m unsure of what I’m missing to actually get a mini pupillage otherwise I’ll be unsuccessful next gateway cycle with little experience.
Reply 1
Hey! I’ve been lucky enough to have a few in my chosen area. Question 1 would of course be which area are you applying to? Minis are hard to get regardless but corporate/chancery may be a little more difficult (I’m guessing here).

I guess the main thing would be your applications. Are you tailoring them to the relevant chambers or is it a bit more generic?
Original post by CJStevens
Hey! I’ve been lucky enough to have a few in my chosen area. Question 1 would of course be which area are you applying to? Minis are hard to get regardless but corporate/chancery may be a little more difficult (I’m guessing here).

I guess the main thing would be your applications. Are you tailoring them to the relevant chambers or is it a bit more generic?

Hey thanks for the reply, I’m looking at corporate/commercial! I try to tailor my applications as much as I can to the firm such as practice areas, awards they’ve received and diversity. I also go onto linkden to see any events they’ve hosted and add that to my application yet I get rejected all the time. It seems impossible to get a mini pupillage meaning i won’t be able to get an actually pupillage
Reply 3
Original post by Jazzyjellycrack
Hey thanks for the reply, I’m looking at corporate/commercial! I try to tailor my applications as much as I can to the firm such as practice areas, awards they’ve received and diversity. I also go onto linkden to see any events they’ve hosted and add that to my application yet I get rejected all the time. It seems impossible to get a mini pupillage meaning i won’t be able to get an actually pupillage

Ahhhh see I’m looking at Criminal so my applications will be different.

Do you mind me asking what uni you go/went to and what grades you have/are in track for? This may help?

Also what experience do you have with mooting/public speaking?

Edit: just reread that you have a 1st! Well done on that!
(edited 8 months ago)
Ahhhh see I’m looking at Criminal so my applications will be different.

Do you mind me asking what uni you go/went to and what grades you have/are in track for? This may help?

Also what experience do you have with mooting/public speaking?

Edit: just reread that you have a 1st! Well done on that!

I didn’t go to a Russel Group university, I’ve done a module within advocacy but I have no experience outside of this in terms of mooting my universities law society wasn’t the best and there wasn’t a debating team either. I’ve applied to about 7 or so mini pupilages the past few weeks and I’ve been declined from 4 already.
Reply 5
I didn’t go to a Russel Group university, I’ve done a module within advocacy but I have no experience outside of this in terms of mooting my universities law society wasn’t the best and there wasn’t a debating team either. I’ve applied to about 7 or so mini pupilages the past few weeks and I’ve been declined from 4 already.

Ok well I have a suspicion that your lack of public speaking (as difficult as it sounds to have gotten) is likely a large part.

Another thing is that Chambers want you to display a clear understanding of the role and what it consists of. Do you have any genuine understanding of this or could this also be an issue? I'm more than happy to look over an application of yours if you think that may help? For context I've applied for about 8 minis and have gotten 5.
(edited 8 months ago)
Ok well I have a suspicion that your lack of public speaking (as difficult as it sounds to have gotten) is likely a large part.

Another thing is that Chambers want you to display a clear understanding of the role and what it consists of. Do you have any genuine understanding of this or could this also be an issue? I'm more than happy to look over an application of yours if you think that may help? For context I've applied for about 8 minis and have gotten 5.

Wow well done of getting your minis!! That’s great thank you I’ll send you a private message of an example which I’ve sent to a chambers.
Reply 7
Wow well done of getting your minis!! That’s great thank you I’ll send you a private message of an example which I’ve sent to a chambers.

Yh no worries - I’ll take a look at it as soon as you send it over!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending