The Student Room Group

Average salary of a commercial barrister

I'm 14 and currently exploring potential career paths. The idea of becoming a commercial barrister has caught my attention. While I understand that salaries can greatly vary, what is an estimate for the average salary of a commercial barrister in the UK? Thanks a lot!
The first thing to note in case you don't know is that barristers do not have salaries. Nearly all barristers are self employed, which means that they are not paid a set amount per year, and instead bill and get paid for the individual pieces of work that they do. The reason why this is relevant for the answer to this question is just so you appreciate that even individual barristers will earn different amounts every year, and sometimes those incomes can vary quite significantly year to year depending on the cases that you do. You may already know that and understand the difference, but I thought it was worth clarifying in case you don't.

With all of that said, yes, incomes vary significantly as a barrister in any area of practice. It depends on a whole host of things including how good you are as a barrister, how good you are at cultivating relationships with solicitors and clients, how good your Chambers is, how good your clerks are, and just how lucky you get. But a commercial practice is one of the more lucrative areas you can work in as a barrister. The top end commercial sets in London will often be the sets that people discuss when talking about a commercial practice. At those sets you can and probably would earn really significant sums of money very quickly. As in over £100,000 within a year or two at most, with your earnings increasing pretty significantly from there. A friend of mine is at one of those sets and recently became a KC in his 30s. I wouldn't be surprised if he's earning seven figures at this point, in fact I suspect he probably is.

However, you have to understand that those sets are the exception. Only a very small percentage of barristers practice at them in the context of the Bar as a whole, and both the practices that those barristers have and the money they earn is the exception in this profession. It's not something that you should expect to be able to achieve. It doesn't stop you aiming for pupillage at one of those sets, but it shouldn't be understated just how competitive it is, and in the round how unlikely it is that you'll be successful. There are a lot of very good barristers who would never realistically have been able to get pupillage at one of those sets.

But that's not to say that a commercial practice isn't still a route to earning a good living, because it is. Even at smaller London or regional sets, particularly in the likes of Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds, but even in other cities like Liverpool, Bristol and Newcastle, a commercial practice at a decent set could still see you earning six figures pretty quickly (within a few years at most) and settling at around the £200k to £400k level once your practice is established. That is a wide range, but the bottom line is that ultimately you can make a very comfortable living as a commercial barristers at any decent set.

Just one final point to note. You may have asked about a commercial practice because you're aware that it's one of the highest earning areas. When it comes to financial stability as a barrister, there are plenty of other practice areas where you can earn a good amount of money to the extent that you're financially very comfortable. Even in some of the 'lower' earning areas, such as crime and family, you can still make a perfectly good living (and earn £100k+) in the right situation. So it depends how you are comparing these earnings to other roles, and what is the determining factor for you. I wouldn't recommend that you become a barrister for the money anyway, because frankly there are other careers and industries where you can earn more. But if it is because you are attracted to being a barrister, there are other practice areas that you might be better suited to beyond commercial where you can still make a very good living. You have plenty of time to research those, though.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
The first thing to note in case you don't know is that barristers do not have salaries. Nearly all barristers are self employed, which means that they are not paid a set amount per year, and instead bill and get paid for the individual pieces of work that they do. The reason why this is relevant for the answer to this question is just so you appreciate that even individual barristers will earn different amounts every year, and sometimes those incomes can vary quite significantly year to year depending on the cases that you do. You may already know that and understand the difference, but I thought it was worth clarifying in case you don't.

With all of that said, yes, incomes vary significantly as a barrister in any area of practice. It depends on a whole host of things including how good you are as a barrister, how good you are at cultivating relationships with solicitors and clients, how good your Chambers is, how good your clerks are, and just how lucky you get. But a commercial practice is one of the more lucrative areas you can work in as a barrister. The top end commercial sets in London will often be the sets that people discuss when talking about a commercial practice. At those sets you can and probably would earn really significant sums of money very quickly. As in over £100,000 within a year or two at most, with your earnings increasing pretty significantly from there. A friend of mine is at one of those sets and recently became a KC in his 30s. I wouldn't be surprised if he's earning seven figures at this point, in fact I suspect he probably is.

However, you have to understand that those sets are the exception. Only a very small percentage of barristers practice at them in the context of the Bar as a whole, and both the practices that those barristers have and the money they earn is the exception in this profession. It's not something that you should expect to be able to achieve. It doesn't stop you aiming for pupillage at one of those sets, but it shouldn't be understated just how competitive it is, and in the round how unlikely it is that you'll be successful. There are a lot of very good barristers who would never realistically have been able to get pupillage at one of those sets.

But that's not to say that a commercial practice isn't still a route to earning a good living, because it is. Even at smaller London or regional sets, particularly in the likes of Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds, but even in other cities like Liverpool, Bristol and Newcastle, a commercial practice at a decent set could still see you earning six figures pretty quickly (within a few years at most) and settling at around the £200k to £400k level once your practice is established. That is a wide range, but the bottom line is that ultimately you can make a very comfortable living as a commercial barristers at any decent set.

Just one final point to note. You may have asked about a commercial practice because you're aware that it's one of the highest earning areas. When it comes to financial stability as a barrister, there are plenty of other practice areas where you can earn a good amount of money to the extent that you're financially very comfortable. Even in some of the 'lower' earning areas, such as crime and family, you can still make a perfectly good living (and earn £100k+) in the right situation. So it depends how you are comparing these earnings to other roles, and what is the determining factor for you. I wouldn't recommend that you become a barrister for the money anyway, because frankly there are other careers and industries where you can earn more. But if it is because you are attracted to being a barrister, there are other practice areas that you might be better suited to beyond commercial where you can still make a very good living. You have plenty of time to research those, though.
Just to add, what would you say the earnings roughly are at more mixed/common law sets in London, as a range of course? I'm talking the likes of 7BR, No5, Hailsham, Crown Office, 1COR, etc- would they be able to compete with the regional commercial practices, or have prospects of say, £300k+?
Original post by RetroSPECT3.0
Just to add, what would you say the earnings roughly are at more mixed/common law sets in London, as a range of course? I'm talking the likes of 7BR, No5, Hailsham, Crown Office, 1COR, etc- would they be able to compete with the regional commercial practices, or have prospects of say, £300k+?

I suspect they would, but mixed common law sets involve a very wide range of potential practice areas. Even if most pupils' practices started out on the same track (and I suspect there would be quite a lot of variance with that), where your practice would go after that would be pretty unpredictable. I'd say the potential is certainly there though, depending on the time of practice you develop.
Original post by Crazy Jamie

I am a barrister in commercial practice and I agree with what is said in this helpful post.
I add that the figures reported in the media for barrister's earnings are usually gross fees, before expenses and tax.

From gross fees received, a self employed barrister will pay something between 25% and 35% in expenses. The expenses will vary depending on which chambers a barrister is in, how much the barrister travels for work, how much he or she spends on computers, books, subscriptions, insurance, conferences, and so on. The barrister will then pay tax, often mostly at the higher rate, on the 65 to 80% after expenses (tax is on profits, not revenue).

As a rough guide, a barrister who receives £100,000 in fees may have a net income of £50,000. This is a good margin of profit for a sole trader.

A set of chambers is not a law firm. It is a non hierarchical "eat what you kill" collective. Each barrister brings in fees, and pays a percentage to chambers for the building, staff, and so on.

Barristers also collect VAT for the government and pass it on, but deduct VAT paid on their expenses. 20% VAT is charged on fees for work for UK clients, but not on fees for work for non UK clients.

Another thing to note: barristers sometimes wait months or even years to receive fees for work done. Some barristers enter into conditional fee agreements which are success based.

Being self employed is fun, but can also be risky and nerve-racking when the cashflow is tight.
(edited 1 month ago)
To give some concrete examples, the GROSS average earnings per barrister at top chambers such as Blackstone Chambers are over £600,000 a year, but that figure is affected by the presence of several "Super-Silks" - KCs who bill several million pounds a year. As noted above, the junior tenants (tenant in this context means a person with a permanent place in chambers) will quickly gross over £100,000 a year. Pupils in the top chambers are paid by their chambers between about £50,000 and £100,000 a year while training. NB: the fee figures I mention are BEFORE expenses and tax.

Entry to top chambers is INTENSELY competitive. To obtain a pupillage and a tenancy in such chambers you will usually need to get a first or a high 2.1 at Oxbridge or at a Russell Group university (or non-UK equivalent). The degree need not be in law, but it needs to be in a rigorous academic subject, whether in the humanities or the sciences. Non law graduates take the Graduate Diploma in law, a one year course after a degree. Law and non law graduates alike take the Bar course, which lasts a year, and do one year in pupillage before becoming fully qualified.

To succeed at the Bar, you have to be willing to accept risk, and high pressure. You need resilience to cope with the competition and the pressure of the work. The intellectual, social, and financial rewards of success at the Bar are considerable. Being a barrister is a tough job, but also a great job if you can make it work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending