The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
@uberteknik

seems links need moderation before they are posted. see above comment for link.
Original post by th3 hampst3r
When I include links in a post, the post doesn't seem to appear when it is submitted. If you google 'aqa as physics b past papers', the first option will take you to a site. Ty :smile:

OK, I found it.

I've attached a before and after case for the lamps.

Follow them through and you should see what is happening in both cases.

Using this as a guide and so that I know you have understood what's happening in the parallel case, can you post the answer you would now give for question 8 part c please.:smile: Thanks.

Page 1 parallel lamps.jpeg Page 2 parallel lamps.jpeg
Reply 22
Oh wow, that's brilliant!

For lamp B, the potential difference across it does not change, as the power source does not. Its resistance is obviously constant, and therefore it has the same wattage as it did previously.

The potential difference across lamp A does not change either, as any electrons travelling down that side of the parallel circuit still have a set amount of voltage to 'loose'. As the resistance has decreased the current must increase, resulting in a greater wattage for lamp B.

I guess my mistake was assuming there was a fixed amount of 'brightness' to share between the lamps.

Thankyou very very much, you really opened my eyes to that one, thankyou!
Original post by th3 hampst3r
Oh wow, that's brilliant!

For lamp B, the potential difference across it does not change, as the power source does not. Its resistance is obviously constant, and therefore it has the same wattage as it did previously.

The potential difference across lamp A does not change either, as any electrons travelling down that side of the parallel circuit still have a set amount of voltage to 'loose'. As the resistance has decreased the current must increase, resulting in a greater wattage for lamp B.

I guess my mistake was assuming there was a fixed amount of 'brightness' to share between the lamps.

Thankyou very very much, you really opened my eyes to that one, thankyou!

You got it! :smile:
The thinner the wire, the higher the resistance.
The thin wire glows mainly due to its high resistance turning electric energy into heat energy, which in turn heats up the wire and makes it glow red due to incandescence. (Like a light bulb.)

Refer -->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescence
Reply 25
Original post by eileenthg
The thinner the wire, the higher the resistance.
The thin wire glows mainly due to its high resistance turning electric energy into heat energy, which in turn heats up the wire and makes it glow red due to incandescence. (Like a light bulb.)

Refer -->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescence

This thread is nearly 4 years old.

Latest