The Student Room Group

Physics Thermo Dynamics

Hey people i need help with the following questions. A brass tie bar of length 600mm and diameter of 30mm undergoes change of temp, from 25C to 235C. Linear expansivity of copper is 19 x 10^-6C^-1. Modulus of elasticity is 84 gpa. Work out change of length and determine compressive force induced in the bar (if it is reigily held and expansion is prevented). Someone help me answer this please ive been stuck on it, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by StudyNinja1
Hey people i need help with the following questions. A brass tie bar of length 600mm and diameter of 30mm undergoes change of temp, from 25C to 235C. Linear expansivity of copper is 19 x 10^-6C^-1. Modulus of elasticity is 84 gpa. Work out change of length and determine compressive force induced in the bar (if it is reigily held and expansion is prevented). Someone help me answer this please ive been stuck on it, thanks :smile:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/thexp.html , this should help you find the change in length.

For the force use the Young Modulus formula (stress/strain) and rearrange to make F the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest