The Student Room Group

Do degree based optional modules matter ?

I am currently in my second year studying Physics at UoN, and after graduation, I want to move to Japan, whether by pursuing a degree there or by working. To achieve this, I plan to take Japanese language courses during both the autumn and spring semesters.

However, taking two language courses means I won't be able to take any Physics courses, which is the main focus of my degree. Additionally, some of the year 3 Physics modules have prerequisites, including a specific year 2 Physics module called "Principles of Dynamics." Because of this, it appears that the "optional" module "Principles of Dynamics" is actually essential to take.

My proficiency in Japanese would be beginner level. Do I take the Japanese language modules or the modules on which my degree is actually about, and would this impact employibility in the future? (ie, do employers care about what modules i have taken in uni)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mr Saturn
I am currently in my second year studying Physics at UoN, and after graduation, I want to move to Japan, whether by pursuing a degree there or by working. To achieve this, I plan to take Japanese language courses during both the autumn and spring semesters.

However, taking two language courses means I won't be able to take any Physics courses, which is the main focus of my degree. Additionally, some of the year 3 Physics modules have prerequisites, including a specific year 2 Physics module called "Principles of Dynamics." Because of this, it appears that the "optional" module "Principles of Dynamics" is actually essential to take.

My proficiency in Japanese would be beginner level. Do I take the Japanese language modules or the modules on which my degree is actually about, and would this impact employibility in the future? (ie, do employers care about what modules i have taken in uni)

The first thing to check is that programme structure allows you to take that number of credits outside your discipline without jeopardising the award of your degree -- and also at the particular level. (What I mean by the last part is that your beginner-level Japanese modules might only carry credits at level 4 (i.e. first-year undergraduate level), which might then mean that you're not doing enough credits at levels 5 and 6 to justify the award of a degree with honours).

It's not clear what "UoN" you're referring to. You might need to do some reading of your university's academic regulations to make sure you can do what you want to do.

To answer your specific question -- I suspect that in a lot of cases (perhaps most) employers would only want to verify the title of your degree and the classification. If you want a career where you specifically need a degree in Physics rather than a degree in any discipline (or perhaps if you want to do further study in Physics), then having "too many" non-Physics modules might have an impact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending