The Student Room Group

Oxbridge social exclusion - Mary Beard comments

Interesting article by Mary Beard on the issue of social exclusion from Oxbridge - Alan Milburn, the Social Mobility Czar, was talking about this and the need for all levels of the education system to stop pointing the finger at each other as responsible, whilst at the same time not losing the usual opportunity to blame Oxbridge. Mary Beard disagrees.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Interesting article by Mary Beard on the issue of social exclusion from Oxbridge - Alan Milburn, the Social Mobility Czar, was talking about this and the need for all levels of the education system to stop pointing the finger at each other as responsible, whilst at the same time not losing the usual opportunity to blame Oxbridge. Mary Beard disagrees.

A lot of very good comments as well, on all sides, and TSR gets a mention (indeed I think I was one of the nerdish reviewers of old admissions stats).

I don't think anyone can doubt the effort that Oxbridge has put in but is it the case that but for that effort the position would have been even worse or should Oxbridge have spent the money trying to pay off the national debt for all the good it has done over the last 40 years?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nulli tertius
A lot of very good comments as well, on all sides, and TSR gets a mention (indeed I think I was one of the nerdish reviewers of old admissions stats).

I don't think anyone can doubt the effort that Oxbridge has put in but is it the case that but for that effort the position would have been even worse or should Oxbridge have spent the money trying to pay off the national debt for all the good it has done over the last 40 years?

Some of the usual specious arguments are there - particularly the dubious statistics about the relative prospects for Oxbridge entry at age 12 in different school types/areas of the country, etc. That's not to say there isn't some truth in them.

Mary Beard's blog is enjoyable, she is a lively, interesting, topical blogger, as she is a TV presenter.
Some of the usual specious arguments are there - particularly the dubious statistics about the relative prospects for Oxbridge entry at age 12 in different school types/areas of the country, etc. That's not to say there isn't some truth in them.

Mary Beard's blog is enjoyable, she is a lively, interesting, topical blogger, as she is a TV presenter.

One of the people commenting says:-

I work at a Russell Group redbrick, and I really feel as though there is less of a social mix here now than there was at Oxford in the 1970s - it's pretty depressing.

I accept that entirely. Last year I was at an Oxford dinner sitting next to a couple of contemporaries, all three of us comp lads; one from the Valleys, one a Geordie and me. They are partners in City law firms, I have a provincial firm. Obviously there were lots of present day students and recent grads. The girls were straight out of Country Life and the boys, not many boys, had that floppy haired look about them. The most striking thing though, and I notice this when out and about in Oxford as well, is the absence of regional accents.
Reply 4

I accept that entirely. Last year I was at an Oxford dinner sitting next to a couple of contemporaries, all three of us comp lads; one from the Valleys, one a Geordie and me. They are partners in City law firms, I have a provincial firm. Obviously there were lots of present day students and recent grads. The girls were straight out of Country Life and the boys, not many boys, had that floppy haired look about them. The most striking thing though, and I notice this when out and about in Oxford as well, is the absence of regional accents.

I think there can be a culture that it's simply 'not for us' at some, possibly most, schools. I remember my sister saying she didn't think she'd fit in there when she was at the end of Yr. 11 after a family friend mentioned it to her. She changed her mind, but if someone from a thoroughly middle class background (both parents fairly senior teachers) can get that impression what hope is there for a kid on FSM?

Looking at this document myths about what is required for Oxbridge entry even permeate elite private schools. http://www.kcs.org.uk/system/files/page/73/Web_UCAS%20Offers%20%20%25%20Success%20by%20university%202011-12.pdf
Original post by roh

Looking at this document myths about what is required for Oxbridge entry even permeate elite private schools. http://www.kcs.org.uk/system/files/page/73/Web_UCAS%20Offers%20%20%25%20Success%20by%20university%202011-12.pdf

It is hard to know whether this is about managing parental expectation. Schools that really understand the Oxbridge admissions system, know the pupils who do not cut the mustard. Due to the quality of teaching many of their also ran students will exceed the scores at which successful Oxbridge applications are made. Setting a high bar, at least nominally, may stop parents demanding futile applications.
Original post by roh
I think there can be a culture that it's simply 'not for us' at some, possibly most, schools. I remember my sister saying she didn't think she'd fit in there when she was at the end of Yr. 11 after a family friend mentioned it to her. She changed her mind, but if someone from a thoroughly middle class background (both parents fairly senior teachers) can get that impression what hope is there for a kid on FSM?

The 'fitting in' thing seems to be very important, I suspect the influence of grotesque misrepresentations from the media play a big role. There should be a pack sent out to all A Lev students, something like 'real life at Oxford/Cambridge as opposed to what you've seen on TV/heard from people'. Maybe other 'top' universities need to do the same. I don't think this type of misapprehension is solely an Oxbridge issue.
Reply 7
It is hard to know whether this is about managing parental expectation. Schools that really understand the Oxbridge admissions system, know the pupils who do not cut the mustard. Due to the quality of teaching many of their also ran students will exceed the scores at which successful Oxbridge applications are made. Setting a high bar, at least nominally, may stop parents demanding futile applications.

Ah, I'd not considered that point. I'd always got the impression the big name London day schools were superselective so pretty much everyone could apply, but is this just clever marketing?

The 'fitting in' thing seems to be very important, I suspect the influence of grotesque misrepresentations from the media play a big role. There should be a pack sent out to all A Lev students, something like 'real life at Oxford/Cambridge as opposed to what you've seen on TV/heard from people'. Maybe other 'top' universities need to do the same. I don't think this type of misapprehension is solely an Oxbridge issue.

The Mail do have a lot to answer for! At the same time sometimes Oxbridge don't help themselves, I know I couldn't provide a good answer as to why a May ball ticket was twice the price of most unis' grad ball when a kid I was mentoring asked after an Open Day at Cam. No, though I think it applies a lot more to certain unis, Durham and Bristol for example, than others, like the London unis and Warwick. Such a pack would also have to be careful it didn't paint a false picture either, for example the monastery like buildings alone would probably seem intimidating to many comp kids, but you can't send out a pack with pictures of just St Catherine's/Fitzwilliam to get round this!
Reply 8
Original post by roh
-snip-

you've reminded me of the johnny griffiths incident last year. Mr griffiths is the maths teacher criticised by gove's advisors and the daily nail for blogging about advising a pupil to not worry about cambridge and go somewhere where he'd be happy instead.
it turned out Mr griffiths was himself an unhappy cambridge graduate.

Perhaps the belief that oxbridge isn't a very nice place for the clever state schooler could be quite well founded, perhaps it took the blip in admission of state schooled students that we're now worried about the tail end of to get the word out :unsure:

(I'm not sure what sort of school mr griffiths attended)
Original post by Joinedup
you've reminded me of the johnny griffiths incident last year. Mr griffiths is the maths teacher criticised by gove's advisors and the daily nail for blogging about advising a pupil to not worry about cambridge and go somewhere where he'd be happy instead.

Perhaps the belief that oxbridge isn't a very nice place for the clever state schooler could be quite well founded, perhaps it took the blip in admission of state schooled students that we're now worried about the tail end of to get the word out :unsure:

I really do think it is JUST a belief - I have been surrounded by clever state schoolers. Some of them definitely managed happiness. A few even seemed positively cheerful. :rolleyes: Seriously, loads and loads of state schoolers get on just fine. It is sooo stereotyped that somehow the colleges remain some kind of branch-in-chief of the upper private schools.
Reply 10
There should be a pack sent out to all A Lev students, something like 'real life at Oxford/Cambridge as opposed to what you've seen on TV/heard from people'.

I know you are at least half-joking, but actually doing this to teachers would probably have a decent impact. Remember the survey that showed more than a third of state teachers thought Oxbridge was >80% private-educated? Only 7% guessed more than half.

The misconceptions are rife not only amongst students, but amongst those who advise those students as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I really do think it is JUST a belief - I have been surrounded by clever state schoolers. Some of them definitely managed happiness. A few even seemed positively cheerful. :rolleyes: Seriously, loads and loads of state schoolers get on just fine. It is sooo stereotyped that somehow the colleges remain some kind of branch-in-chief of the upper private schools.

stereotypes can persist for good reasons.

wrt mary's blog

I agree about the importance of A level choice - there's the trinity list and the RG 'informed choices' pamphlet which says almost the exact same thing in a user friendly and less baffling way afaict. probably it's be good to encourage A level choosers to read that stuff but I'm not sure schools should be compelled to shove russell group propaganda down peoples throats.

Are there any stats about the effectiveness of the cam area link scheme anywhwere? Mary's blog links to a web page that says it's been running since 2000 so it's not like it should be too early to tell.

My brain gets a bit jammed by oxbridge saying they keep trying things to improve access but not publishing research that shows what works.
Reply 12

The people I know who went to Oxbridge have been about 50:50 in terms of enjoying it, no idea if that's representative of course.

Also, you have to remember that to the kid from a sink comp in Middlesbrough somewhere like Dr Challoners or the Skinners will seem as much of a world away as Eton or St Pauls. For middle class state school students fitting in at Oxbridge is I suspect fine, for the kid on FSM with a strong Geordie accent maybe not so much, though this comes far more down to the class system than education I think. It's not that Oxbridge, or other top unis, don't try, it's just a totally alien world.
stereotypes can persist for good reasons.

wrt mary's blog

I agree about the importance of A level choice - there's the trinity list and the RG 'informed choices' pamphlet which says almost the exact same thing in a user friendly and less baffling way afaict. probably it's be good to encourage A level choosers to read that stuff but I'm not sure schools should be compelled to shove russell group propaganda down peoples throats.

I felt rather sorry for the RG over Informed Choices. It was a very helpful production. Then some bloody MP started demanding statistics and making hay about how few state schools were putting pupils in for three facilitating subjects. Suddenly, it became a weapon in a political battle. The RG has had to re-write their brochure to try and make it clear that facilitating subjects are not the be all and end all of A levels.

I have jumped in on a couple of occasions on TSR where someone has suggested that a person considering A levels for a particular degree do all facilitating subjects in preference to doing a non-facilitating A level the RG actually advises someone to take who wants to read for that degree.

This is one of the problems that universities have. The whole admissions system has lost a sense of proportion at the "customer" end. If a little of something aids an application, then far too many people seem to think that more of it must make the application even better.

Are there any stats about the effectiveness of the cam area link scheme anywhwere? Mary's blog links to a web page that says it's been running since 2000 so it's not like it should be too early to tell.

My brain gets a bit jammed by oxbridge saying they keep trying things to improve access but not publishing research that shows what works.

I was saying the same thing at the top of the thread. Universities, this is not solely about Oxbridge, want an A for effort and some of them at least seem to be comfortable with trying and not achieving.

I read Mr Griffiths' comments in TES, and they actually made sense. He was talking about a pupil he found working in the library at 6.00, as he was leaving to go home - this boy was working himself into the ground.
Reply 15

I was saying the same thing at the top of the thread. Universities, this is not solely about Oxbridge, want an A for effort and some of them at least seem to be comfortable with trying and not achieving.

They would save a lot of money by achieving without trying, though. The incentives are there for them to make programmes as efficient as possible.
Original post by PythianLegume
I read Mr Griffiths' comments in TES, and they actually made sense. He was talking about a pupil he found working in the library at 6.00, as he was leaving to go home - this boy was working himself into the ground.

These things are often taken slightly (or wholly) out of context by the media and exaggerated for effect.

Some of the comments in the Mary Beard article are really interesting, see the Anon ones for a bit of a laugh - how much opprobrium gets heaped on Oxbridge! Mary's replies are calm, warm and amusing.
I think if there's an issue I think it's more with the schools than with Oxbridge. In my personal experience the universities have put in a lot of effort to dispelling myths around their applications and broadening their appeal, and also seem to have some of the best financial support out of any universities, along with lower living costs since they can afford to subsidise so much. Meanwhile, in some schools there appears to be an attitude right from the start that Oxbridge will be out of their students' reach, and too much of a focus on consolidating their position by bringing the bottom up rather than encouraging those with ambition to succeed. At my sixth form college a friend of mine was discouraged from applying to Oxbridge because his application 'wasn't strong enough', and ultimately didn't apply. In the end though he got grades that would surely have seen him in, and in my (admittedly perhaps biased) opinion, the correct kind of attitude and work ethic to fit in perfectly; but he was put off by the whole 'our students don't get into Oxbridge' attitude that the staff had. As it stands private schools are far better equipped to give their brightest pupils the guidance and 'pushing' that they need - most likely because they are used to getting students into these institutions and know how to approach the situation, rather than being drawn in by the mythology that you need 6A*s and a parent in the Freemasons.
Original post by Theflyingbarney
I think if there's an issue I think it's more with the schools than with Oxbridge. In my personal experience the universities have put in a lot of effort to dispelling myths around their applications and broadening their appeal, and also seem to have some of the best financial support out of any universities, along with lower living costs since they can afford to subsidise so much. Meanwhile, in some schools there appears to be an attitude right from the start that Oxbridge will be out of their students' reach, and too much of a focus on consolidating their position by bringing the bottom up rather than encouraging those with ambition to succeed. At my sixth form college a friend of mine was discouraged from applying to Oxbridge because his application 'wasn't strong enough', and ultimately didn't apply. In the end though he got grades that would surely have seen him in, and in my (admittedly perhaps biased) opinion, the correct kind of attitude and work ethic to fit in perfectly; but he was put off by the whole 'our students don't get into Oxbridge' attitude that the staff had. As it stands private schools are far better equipped to give their brightest pupils the guidance and 'pushing' that they need - most likely because they are used to getting students into these institutions and know how to approach the situation, rather than being drawn in by the mythology that you need 6A*s and a parent in the Freemasons.

The motto of the Order of Canada is "DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM" whcih translates as "They desire a better country". The answer to it is "They will have to make do with Canada".

I tend to think of this every time universities blame schools for lack of access. The problems with the state school system are a given. What are universities achieving to increase access despite the problems with the school system?
The motto of the Order of Canada is "DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM" whcih translates as "They desire a better country". The answer to it is "They will have to make do with Canada".

I tend to think of this every time universities blame schools for lack of access. The problems with the state school system are a given. What are universities achieving to increase access despite the problems with the school system?

That's just it though - I think universities are pretty near to achieving the absolute best they can in the situation without introducing arbitrary measures which would completely devalue the education they offer (e.g. quotas). Trying to place the blame on the universities here sounds too much like blaming a rape victim for dressing 'too provocatively' - although there is arguably some more they could be doing to avoid the undesirable end result, it's completely disproportionate to place the onus on them to improve when there is so obviously a bigger problem that is being ignored.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending