The Student Room Group

Transition Metal Ions Complex how are they formed

How do Transition metal Ions form, I am learning about Complex ions, but I am unsure how the transition metals started off with a "2+/3+" charge when they form complex ions, dont they have to be ionised for this to happen? Im slightly confused.
Original post by Buryani
How do Transition metal Ions form, I am learning about Complex ions, but I am unsure how the transition metals started off with a "2+/3+" charge when they form complex ions, dont they have to be ionised for this to happen? Im slightly confused.

Nope.....they are found in their natural state with a charge. OF course though they have to be in aqueous solution!!
Reply 2
Original post by James A
Nope.....they are found in their natural state with a charge. OF course though they have to be in aqueous solution!!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Wait, so its loses electrons by default when its in aquaeous solution? How exactly does it become charged.
Reply 4
Original post by James A

Wait, so its loses electrons by default when its in aquaeous solution? How exactly does it become charged
Original post by Buryani
Wait, so its loses electrons by default when its in aquaeous solution? How exactly does it become charged

It already exists in aqueous solution as charged ions. There's no explanation (as far as I'm aware of) that possibly explains how they form ions in the first place. It's just how they exist naturally and besides you don't need to go further into detail as it's only A-level.
The metals are usually oxidised by Oxygen in the air and so are usually found in the +2 or +3 naturally. These can then be reacted to generate the complexes you are thinking of.

Quick Reply

Latest