The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry Ligand Question

I have came across a question on ligand's (image attached) which I do not understand the answer to.

Apparently the ligand will form coordinate bonds with the O- atom and the N atom.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? Any help would be appreciated.
Original post by Tagsmags
I have came across a question on ligand's (image attached) which I do not understand the answer to.

Apparently the ligand will form coordinate bonds with the O- atom and the N atom.

Hi, the oxygen and nitrogen both have a lone pair of electrons that can be donated to the central Cu, which forms two coordinate bonds. Maybe drawing out a diagram showing the all the electrons around the nitrogen and oxygen maybe make it clearer to see where the lone electron pairs are? I hope this helps :smile:

Both oxygens in the COO^- and the nitrogen have lone pairs, but C=O oxygens are non-coordinating, so they don’t form coordinate bonds with any transition metal ions. Therefore, the coordinate bonds must be formed by the O- and N.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Thank you, though I was more puzzled by why the O in the C=O bond would not bind to the cation via coordinate bonding.
Original post by Biolover2020
Hi, the oxygen and nitrogen both have a lone pair of electrons that can be donated to the central Cu, which forms two coordinate bonds. Maybe drawing out a diagram showing the all the electrons around the nitrogen and oxygen maybe make it clearer to see where the lone electron pairs are? I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
Both oxygens in the COO^- and the nitrogen have lone pairs, but C=O oxygens are non-coordinating, so they don’t form coordinate bonds with any transition metal ions. Therefore, the coordinate bonds must be formed by the O- and N.

Thank you, I suspected there would be some rule like this. Although when I was searching for info regarding this I couldn't find anything. Is this rule taught in the textbook for your spec? because I don't think there was anything like this in any resources for my spec (Edexcel).
Thank you, I suspected there would be some rule like this. Although when I was searching for info regarding this I couldn't find anything. Is this rule taught in the textbook for your spec? because I don't think there was anything like this in any resources for my spec (Edexcel).

I did Edexcel A level chemistry last year and it was a general rule that was never stated but is expected to be known for exam questions like this one.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest