The Student Room Group

Integrate (sin x)^3 / (1 + cos x)

Integrate (sin x)^3 / (1 + cos x). The previous bit of the question said to write it as a function of u = sinx and v = cosx, but I don't know if it's related to this in any way...
Reply 1
May not be the quickest way but if you let u=cos(x) it becomes a rational function which can be intergrated in the same way as any other.

EDIT: The ways given below are effectively the same, but probably easier.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
(sinx)3=sinx(1cosx)(1+cosx)(\sin x)^3=\sin x (1-\cos x)(1+\cos x).
Original post by meowmeowcat
Integrate (sin x)^3 / (1 + cos x). The previous bit of the question said to write it as a function of u = sinx and v = cosx, but I don't know if it's related to this in any way...

sin3x=sin2xsinx=(1cos2x)sinx\sin^3 x = \sin^2 x \sin x = (1-\cos^2 x) \sin x.

Difference of two squares on 1cos2x1-\cos^2 x.
Reply 4
just realised myself, I'm rusty on integration. Thanks.
Original post by BabyMaths
Original post by Felix Felicis

Out of curiosity, would a Weierstrass substitution work?

I managed to get it down to 8t3(1+t2)3 dt\displaystyle \int \dfrac{8t^3}{(1+t^2)^3}\ dt

How would I proceed? I thought of partial fractions but the power of 3 in the denominator is really putting me off.
Reply 6
Original post by Khallil

I managed to get it down to 8t3(1+t2)3 dt\displaystyle \int \dfrac{8t^3}{(1+t^2)^3}\ dt

How would I proceed? I thought of partial fractions but the power of 3 in the denominator is really putting me off.

If you go down that route I think you're going to have to make at least one more substitution like u=t2u = t^2, but it looks like it could get to be quite a slog!
Original post by Khallil

You could go down the partial fractions route with that...

Hmmm

α>0:\alpha > 0:

f(α)=dtt(1+αt2)\displaystyle f(\alpha) = \int \frac{dt}{t(1 + \alpha t^2)}

Use partial fractions on that and then consider 4f(1)4 f''(1) if you know about differentiation under the integral sign.
Original post by Khallil

Original post by davros
If you go down that route I think you're going to have to make at least one more substitution like u=t2u = t^2, but it looks like it could get to be quite a slog!

I got it to

8(t(1+t2)2t(1+t2)3)dt\displaystyle 8\int \left(\dfrac{t}{(1+ t^2)^2} - \dfrac{t}{(1+t^2)^3}\right) dt

which can be split it up into 2 integrals to make substitution easier.

This is to messy a method for me, however. It's much easier to split up the numerator and cancel, as discussed above.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
u - substituition

Quick Reply

Latest