The Student Room Group

series comparison test

trying to prove it converges but I do **not** know that series of 2/sqrt(n) converges? the power is less than 1.

I did try to manipulate it differently but that also is a bit dodgy (second pic)

EDIT: added the part in ** **

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by cooldudeman
trying to prove it converges but I do know that series of 2/sqrt(n) converges? the power is less than 1.

I did try to manipulate it differently but that also is a bit dodgy (second pic)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you are confusing it. The power 0<p=<1 means the sum of 1/n^p as n->infty diverges.
(edited 10 years ago)
trying to prove it converges but I do know that series of 2/sqrt(n) converges? the power is less than 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know that 1n>1n\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}>\frac{1}{n} and that 1n\frac{1}{n} diverges and so 1n\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} must diverge. So you have shown that your series is less than a divergent one, which whilst correct isn't really much help.
Reply 3
Original post by brittanna
You know that 1n>1n\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}>\frac{1}{n} and that 1n\frac{1}{n} diverges and so 1n\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} must diverge. So you have shown that your series is less than a divergent one, which whilst correct isn't really much help.

yh so it diverges but the question was asking to prove that it converges...
that's why I'm confused.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably a misprint. The sum on pics does not converge..
Reply 5
Original post by hassassin04
I think you are confusing it. The power 0<p=<1 means the sum of 1/n^p as n->infty diverges.

sorry I know that it diverges, that's why I am confused. its not meant to since the q was asking to prove that it converges

Posted from TSR Mobile
that's why I'm confused.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure it converges? Did the question ask to show it converges, or to use the comparison test to determine whether it converges or diverges? Because i'm fairly sure the series diverges.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by brittanna
Are you sure it converges? Did the question ask to show it converges, or to use the comparison test to determine whether it converges or diverges? Because i'm fairly sure the series diverges.

its q2, probably is just a misprint then

EDIT: oh god I wrote the question out wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest