The Student Room Group

AS MATHS:using the quadratic formula in C1???

hey, i was just doing C1 AS homework on the quadratic formula, and trying to solve quadratics using the formula. my question is: ive been given questions where the discriminant isnt easy to square root. (eg. root 13)
the question asks me to write the answers to 2 decimal places, but i have to use a calculator in order to get the answer into a non-surd form. and obviously, calculators arent allowed in C1.
SO. am i doing it wrong? should i be able to work them out mentally? if so, how?
im so confuseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd send help
Reply 1
Original post by EmergencyBagels
hey, i was just doing C1 AS homework on the quadratic formula, and trying to solve quadratics using the formula. my question is: ive been given questions where the discriminant isnt easy to square root. (eg. root 13)
the question asks me to write the answers to 2 decimal places, but i have to use a calculator in order to get the answer into a non-surd form. and obviously, calculators arent allowed in C1.
SO. am i doing it wrong? should i be able to work them out mentally? if so, how?
im so confuseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd send help

You cannot use a calculator in the exam

That does not prevent the text book or your teacher asking you questions that test understanding but require a calculator
Reply 2
You might get that in the exam, have you learned about special triangles yet? Haven't done maths since last year so I might be on about something completely different though haha anyway there are ways to do it without a calculator :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Cat123456
You might get that in the exam, have you learned about special triangles yet? Haven't done maths since last year so I might be on about something completely different though haha anyway there are ways to do it without a calculator :smile:

This is incorrect

You will not be asked to give a surd to 2dp in a C1 exam under the current syllabus
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
This is incorrect

You will not be asked to give a surd to 2dp in a C1 exam under the current syllabus

Oopsie haha sorry didn't see the 2dp bit, yeah :3
Reply 5
Don't know what exam board you're on but in OCR there are only a few places where you ever need to use decimals, trapezium rule, simpson's rule, iteration etc. but most of the time you get asked for exact answer. Always keep in the simplest fractional form so don't forget to convert 2/(sqrt2) to sqrt2. Always read the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tmorrall
Don't know what exam board you're on but in OCR there are only a few places where you ever need to use decimals, trapezium rule, simpson's rule, iteration etc. but most of the time you get asked for exact answer. Always keep in the simplest fractional form so don't forget to convert 2/(sqrt2) to sqrt2. Always read the question.

Did you miss the C1 reference in the title of this thread?
heh well thanksguys, i reckon its like what TenofThem said, maybe its just to test understanding? oh well, on with the show. happy new year by the way!
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
Did you miss the C1 reference in the title of this thread?

C1 of OCR? MEI?, Edexcel?... You may know something I don't sir, but to me there was no differentiation (cringe) between boards. Not that it really matters as they are all very similar anyway.
Original post by EmergencyBagels
heh well thanksguys, i reckon its like what TenofThem said, maybe its just to test understanding? oh well, on with the show. happy new year by the way!

Happy new year and good luck!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tmorrall
C1 of OCR? MEI?, Edexcel?... You may know something I don't sir, but to me there was no differentiation (cringe) between boards. Not that it really matters as they are all very similar anyway.

I was saying your reference to numerical methods has nothing to do with the price of fish.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
I was saying your reference to numerical methods has nothing to do with the price of fish.

I didn't understand the target of the quote; I'm up to speed now! The reference to C2, C3 still stands though. Always give exact unless otherwise stated in the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest