The Student Room Group

Two Things About Feminism On This Forum

First of all, we should ban all talk of it. It's really boring.

Second of all, every time you say "feminists believe" or words to that effect you are being rather stupid. Feminism is a large movement that weaves into academia and is a label applied a lot of different theories. You should look some of them up on Wikipedia because reading hundreds of pages of rhetoric about how women do already have rights is causing a physical strain on my IQ.

And on that note I'll shove a third point in, feminism is merely a label. Some feminists, like post-modern feminists, actively reject the labelling because they reject essentialism.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thankyou, someone else that understands feminism is not some amorphous blob where every member holds exactly the same beliefs.

I didn't label myself feminist, it was quickly thrust upon me at the first peep of talking about women's rights.
Now I'm all like, meh, I'll keep it up. I don't want to lose what has been a very important movement to TERFS and the like.
Reply 2
Original post by C_G

>Creates a thread about it

:facepalm:
Even though I'm not fond of the feminist threads I don't see why they should be banned.
Reply 4
God forbid we should bore the 18 year old male with talk of the ongoing oppression of 51% of the world's population.
In the White, Western world, feminism is just one massive **** test

you win by not taking it seriously
The problem with the feminism threads is that although you know you're going to hate it, and jimmies will be rustled...that's also the reason you go in.
Two things:
Lily Allen
Lily Rose Cooper
Reply 8
Original post by Viva Emptiness
The problem with the feminism threads is that although you know you're going to hate it, and jimmies will be rustled...that's also the reason you go in.

So true.
Reply 9
"**** test", well there's a misogynistic term if ever there was one.
Reply 10
I don't think banning the threads would help anything, but otherwise I agree with you.

Saying "feminists think ___" is erroneous because feminists are still individuals. A lot of common views may be shared, sure, but we still have varied, nuanced opinions on every subject.

To some extent I'm beginning to find it a useless label, because Feminist A is to Feminist B as the Pope is to someone who only sets foot in church every few months.

Original post by Viva Emptiness

^ True.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by albull
"**** test", well there's a misogynistic term if ever there was one.

Is it? What even is the "****"?
Reply 12
Original post by C_G

Second of all, every time you say "feminists believe" or words to that effect you are being rather stupid. Feminism is a large movement that weaves into academia and is a label applied a lot of different theories. You should look some of them up on Wikipedia because reading hundreds of pages of rhetoric about how women do already have rights is causing a physical strain on my IQ.

And on that note I'll shove a third point in, feminism is merely a label. Some feminists, like post-modern feminists, actively reject the labelling because they reject essentialism.

What do you know about it?
You're a man.
Reply 13
Original post by Clause
What do you know about it?
You're a man.

I like to think I know quite a bit about it, gender relations and everything related to it is quite an interesting subject.

I am a man, indeed. How very perceptive of you.
Reply 14
Original post by C_G
I like to think I know quite a bit about it, gender relations and everything related to it is quite an interesting subject.

I am a man, indeed. How very perceptive of you.

Sorry we don't help from wanna be chivalrous patriarchal scumbags thanks.
Your help is actually demeaning to our movement we don't a man to save us thanks!
Feminism...Religion...Race...Sexuality...and many more. We are such a diverse species that it is impossible ​to achieve absolute equality. That's not to say we can't be more equal, but never exactly equal.
Reply 16
I've noticed it's mostly the bandwagon feminists, compromising of 2 or 3 girls on here who mostly just love to argue and drag out these threads.

You all know who they are
Reply 17
Original post by Clause
Sorry we don't help from wanna be chivalrous patriarchal scumbags thanks.
Your help is actually demeaning to our movement we don't a man to save us thanks!

Well, no. That's like saying "we don't want any help from white people to end racism". While I agree that OP's suggestion of banning feminism threads because they bore him is idiotic, he does make a very valid second point. Trying to exclude feminist men from the conversation detracts from the point of equality.
I don't think banning the threads would be the right way forward, but beyond that I largely agree. The attitude of 'femnists think xyz' is getting rather tiresome.

Original post by 2ndClass
I've noticed it's mostly the bandwagon feminists, compromising of 2 or 3 girls on here who mostly just love to argue and drag out these threads.

You all know who they are

The main point there being that they're dragging out the threads not starting them.
Reply 19
Original post by C_G

That is possibly the most pretentious sentence I have ever read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending