The Student Room Group

Feminists, what do you do?

I ask this question to find out what people on here who identify as feminist do to defend equal political, economic, and social rights for women.

Scroll to see replies

I try and drill some sense into people who actually identify with this idiotic philosophy when they already have equality (how are women currently oppressed in the UK? :confused: ).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by majmuh24
I try and drill some sense into people who actually identify with this idiotic philosophy when they already have equality (how are women currently oppressed in the UK? :confused: ).

I think you need to check your heterocishegemonicprivilege.
Original post by Iridescenzo
I think you need to check your heterocishegemonicprivilege.

I hate it when people use long words without knowing what they mean, they're so amphiprotic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by keromedic
I ask this question to find out what people on here who identify as feminist do to defend equal political, economic, and social rights for women.

I don't have time to answer this now but I thought I'd quickly slip into the conversation by adding that as a feminist, I also aim to help the negative effects of gender inequality of men. :smile:
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that it's easy to think this, but I think you should do some googling to look at some reasons as to why women still think this - I think it might be interesting for you and I think it's important to learn that women still are unequal in society.

Not judging you at all for this btw, I know it's quite easy for people to make this sort of assumption. I just want to show you the evidence :smile:.
Original post by OrlaCarmel
I know that it's easy to think this, but I think you should do some googling to look at some reasons as to why women still think this - I think it might be interesting for you and I think it's important to learn that women still are unequal in society.

Not judging you at all for this btw, I know it's quite easy for people to make this sort of assumption. I just want to show you the evidence :smile:.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

Of course there will be problems - I never said the society we live in is perfect. The point is that men have just as many problems (although they may not be quite the same) and things are still unfair for them.

For example, take child custody, domestic violence and the fact that more men are homeless. These are all problems, but I don't see any people protesting for them :dontknow:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7

Surely, the burden of proof is on you, since you're the one positing the notion.
they do me

Spoiler

Reply 9
Did that feminist thread yesterday get taken down by some far-left looneys or something?? It's like it just disappeared.
Reply 10
I don't have time to answer this now but I thought I'd quickly slip into the conversation by adding that as a feminist, I also aim to help the negative effects of gender inequality of men. :smile:

Lol funny, what do you really do to men?
Reply 11
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

Of course there will be problems - I never said the society we live in is perfect. The point is that men have just as many problems (although they may not be quite the same) and things are still unfair for them.

For example, take child custody, domestic violence and the fact that more men are homeless. These are all problems, but I don't see any people protesting for them :dontknow:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any problems are worth protesting about! :yep:

Britain's male suicide rate is a national tragedy too! Men are 3 and a half times more likely to commit suicide than woman! In 1981, 4,129 men in the UK took their own lives. Three decades later, despite improvements in psychiatric and emergency care medicine, a range of suicide prevention barriers and policies and, arguably, some degree of social, political and personal empowerment, the number in 2012 had risen to 4,590. The NHS does seem to have worked well at preventing female suicide but, whatever its strategy is for men - it isn't working! :redface:
Original post by MASTER265
Did that feminist thread yesterday get taken down by some far-left looneys or something?? It's like it just disappeared.

Which thread?
Reply 13
Original post by shadowdweller
Which thread?

it was along the line "men would you date/marry a feminine or feminist woman?" It included a poll. I was having an interesting debate on there but I seem to not be able to access it.
I'm part of my universities feminism society and woman's network; I've been to reclaim the night with them, write for their Zine and campaigned to stop the SU shop stocking The Sun. I attend talks that centre on equality and leadership in the workplace.

Mainly though, I call out other people on sexist stances (for example, there is a really amazing 'hobbit house' that someone built which I read about in the paper and my [female] friend said "we should get a couple of guys to build one for us" - small things like that) and also enjoy debating with people about feminism. I challenge some men's behaviour towards myself and other women, particularly whilst clubbing ha.

Just generally try and be proactive in my views.
it was along the line "men would you date/marry a feminine or feminist woman?" It included a poll. I was having an interesting debate on there but I seem to not be able to access it.

I believe that thread was removed, yes.
Reply 16
Original post by shadowdweller
I believe that thread was removed, yes.

I see, the page that follows the link for a removed thread should be updated. It says you are unable to access for a number of reasons which all happen to list those linked to your account or activity although not because the thread could of been removed. I was convinced I'd Said something perceived as politically incorrect even though I had not but oh well thank you for updating me on that.
I see, the page that follows the link for a removed thread should be updated. It says you are unable to access for a number of reasons which all happen to list those linked to your account or activity although not because the thread could of been removed. I was convinced I'd Said something perceived as politically incorrect even though I had not but oh well thank you for updating me on that.

It's because the thread has been moved to the recycle bin; normal users don't have the permissions to access it any more. It you click the '+' next to the thread, you can unwatch it.
Original post by keromedic

7494-death-proof-end-movie-still.jpg
Do feminists only come out when insulted?

No matter, I won't resort to that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending