The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Word of warning for those on Journalism and PR Joints

I am not discouraging you from continuing it and it is not too late to make a transfer if you're a couple of weeks into the course. But I thought I'll offer my opinion on the Joint course.

From what I heard through my personal tutor and from a few tutors, the Joint course may not exist in a couple of years. But for those who are already on their joint course, you can see it through to the end of the degree. But the year 14/15, it may be the last year for those who are on the joint course.

You may be thinking to yourself that having two degrees rolled into one is a great idea. And in theory, having two fields is better than one. In practice however, not as well-executed.

I shall sum it up:

The joint honors offer no practical modules for Radio, Print, Web and TV. The only module that offer any practical experience is Journalism Skills. If you want experience in any of the four, then you have to make it up with work experience. I suggest that if you do want some experience, you should volunteer at Siren FM. It is a community radio station on the Brayford Campus and that is where you do learn more journalism.

The Joint Course is not NTCJ-accredited. The single honors Journalism is. In the world of Journalism, having an NTCJ is a big deal if you want to get into print or the BBC.

On the Joints, you may be excluded from resources that Single Honors Journalism or PR may have. Because of this, we can't borrow equipment as a joint honors.

Once you get to second and third year, you will find out that you will not have an opportunity to study modules because they will be exclusive to single honors.

On the single honors, it is obligatory to learn short hand from the first year. For joints, it is not available until the second year and you have to pay a fee of £198.

The last point could be seen as a positive for some. But if you want more practical modules, then the joint honors degree might disappoint you.

If you have an interest in the PR field, then a single honors Journalism is all you may need. Some journalist have successfully transitioned to PR and newspapers also own PR firms or do some PR work.

And the university offers a PR Masters, so the route of a three year Journalism > 1 year PR Masters could be seen as the better option. You aren't going to stifle yourself with 'two halves' and you're getting the full experience. Plus the skills of Journalism is transferable to PR as both fields do depend on each other.

One needs the story. The other needs the exposure.

For those who are on the joint degree and are attending this year, do not be afraid if you think you are making a mistake. You can transfer a couple of weeks in. A few students, including myself, are looking into transferring to Single Honors once we completed our first year. But we have to catch up on short hand as part of the NTCJ accreditation.

I hope this will help you. The course itself is excellent and the tutors are passionate about what they do and teach. It is one of the best in the country if you want to pursue a career as a Journalist.

Just do not be tricked into thinking a degree in two fields are better than one. You will find out that if you don't substitute the practical modules with work experience, then you will be behind the curve of those who are doing a single honors. That is without the NTCJ accreditation backing they have.

Good luck to the first years starting in 14/15. You might see me volunteering in Siren FM. Come on down if you have a keen interest in Radio. We're all nice.

(PS: I wrote this pretty straight, so it is a bit of a mess. If you can understand it, that is my job done)
(PSS: 1st Year Journalism and PR student)
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest