The Student Room Group

Integration problem

Integrate (t^2)e^(-3t)

I tried doing it by parts, but the answer doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere,
Did you apply parts once.......?
Original post by m4ths/maths247
Did you apply parts once.......?

I applied it again, and the equation just seems to get longer. And then it would require me to integrate a third time... and possible a fourth, I just don't see how it's going to work unless I'm doing something wrong.
Original post by eggfriedrice
I applied it again, and the equation just seems to get longer. And then it would require me to integrate a third time... and possible a fourth, I just don't see how it's going to work unless I'm doing something wrong.

What is happening though each time you differentiate the term in t?
What is happening though each time you differentiate the term in t?

1399749647909.jpg

Hope you can read it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
make u the t^2 term maybe?
1399749647909.jpg

Hope you can read it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you make u=t^2, and du/dx then = 2t on the first time doing parts. The once you do parts the second time round you get du/dx = 2. so then you're just integrating the exponential
Reply 7
Try the substitution u=-3t and then do the new integral by parts (several times)
Reply 8
Integrate (t^2)e^(-3t)

I tried doing it by parts, but the answer doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere,

Call it tte3t t \cdot te^{-3t} and then use a a mix of parts and substitution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When picking u always be:

L
A
T
E
Reply 10
OP, this method is pretty useful when you have functions that are the product of a polynomial and another function:

[video="youtube;R9y-pyr-v44"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9y-pyr-v44[/video]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by rs232
Try the substitution u=-3t and then do the new integral by parts (several times)

There's no need for any substitution in this question - it's just a couple of repeated integrations by parts, taking t^2 as the "first function" so that it becomes 2t and then 2 when differentiated each time.
When picking u always be:

L
A
T
E

What does LATE stand for?
Reply 13
What does LATE stand for?

Logarithms
Algebraic
Trig
Exponentials

It helps you remember what function you should make 'u' when doing IBP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by davros
There's no need for any substitution in this question - it's just a couple of repeated integrations by parts, taking t^2 as the "first function" so that it becomes 2t and then 2 when differentiated each time.

It just gets rid of the -3 at the start so you dont have it knocking around later and getting in the way
Thanks everyone for the help, FINALLY solved it using u=t^2.

Quick Reply

Latest