The Student Room Group

Stars

stars.JPG
Why is the answer B?
Is it because massive stars will have more hydrogen fuel or what?
Well more massive stars have more hydrogen fuel, so you're correct there, hence they are hotter stars, because they are fusing more hydrogen nuclei, this means that they use all of their hydrogen nuclei up faster, so they have a significantly shorter life as a main sequence star, so an older cluster will have a lot less massive stars as all of the massive stars will have ran out of hydrogen nuclei and turned into super red giants. I hope this answers your question :smile:
Original post by Bounce00100
Well more massive stars have more hydrogen fuel, so you're correct there, hence they are hotter stars, because they are fusing more hydrogen nuclei, this means that they use all of their hydrogen nuclei up faster

This doesn't follow - why should they use their hydrogen nuclei up faster? They have much more hydrogen present to begin with. Your argument states that "a car with a larger tank will run out of fuel faster", which is in general false.
Original post by Smaug123
This doesn't follow - why should they use their hydrogen nuclei up faster? They have much more hydrogen present to begin with. Your argument states that "a car with a larger tank will run out of fuel faster", which is in general false.

The star is hotter, so more of the hydrogen nuclei have enough kinetic energy to overcome the electrostatic repulsion between them, hence the rate of hydrogen nuclei fusion is greater, this outweighs the fact there is more fuel, so it uses the fuel up faster than in a less massive star.
Reply 4

In general it might be. But the exception that larger stars have shorter lives is GCSE (and I assume A level) knowledge. Presumably a good mathematical reason would involve the rate of hydrogen fusion increasing faster than the mas of the star. But someone else can go do the maths.
Well more massive stars have more hydrogen fuel, so you're correct there, hence they are hotter stars, because they are fusing more hydrogen nuclei, this means that they use all of their hydrogen nuclei up faster, so they have a significantly shorter life as a main sequence star, so an older cluster will have a lot less massive stars as all of the massive stars will have ran out of hydrogen nuclei and turned into super red giants. I hope this answers your question :smile:

Brill! Thanks a lot!

Please check if i m wrong here

a) The star starts its life as main sequence star and can be either massive or with a low mass.
But generally, this is the time when they have the largest mass compared to the next following stages right?
Well, they ll keep fusing hydrogen until it ceases and then they ll contract and their mass decrease and their temperature, but their luminosity increases. Now they are in the red giant stage, so they ll fuse helium and as that also finishes, they ll further decrease in mass and become dimmer and dimmer and their size will decrease. Also, their surface temperature will drop. This is the white dwarf stage. As time passes, they die.
b) what a standard candle exactly is? I read a lot about it but still not getting it. Please write for me some bullet points or whatever, coz my exam is tomo

Millions of thanks to you! :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lerjj
In general it might be. But the exception that larger stars have shorter lives is GCSE (and I assume A level) knowledge. Presumably a good mathematical reason would involve the rate of hydrogen fusion increasing faster than the mas of the star. But someone else can go do the maths.

The star is hotter, so more of the hydrogen nuclei have enough kinetic energy to overcome the electrostatic repulsion between them, hence the rate of hydrogen nuclei fusion is greater, this outweighs the fact there is more fuel, so it uses the fuel up faster than in a less massive star.

Ah, if it's quotable that "this outweights the fact that there is more fuel", then go ahead and quote it :smile:
I genuinely thought that it was just:

a) Smaller stars just "died" out a while back.
c) + d) Older cluster, more time passed, therefore main sequence phase is over.

Compared to the young cluster, the old cluster will have fewer main sequence stars because that phase in their life ended.

Yeah, the physics I'm using is pretty sketchy so I wouldn't take my reasoning on a piece of paper ...

Forgive me if I'm wrong. But don't say I didn't warn you.
Original post by SociallyAwkward
I genuinely thought that it was just:

a) Smaller stars just "died" out a while back.
c) + d) Older cluster, more time passed, therefore main sequence phase is over.

Compared to the young cluster, the old cluster will have fewer main sequence stars because that phase in their life ended.

Yeah, the physics I'm using is pretty sketchy so I wouldn't take my reasoning on a piece of paper ...

Forgive me if I'm wrong. But don't say I didn't warn you.

(That was what I thought, too.)
Ah, if it's quotable that "this outweights the fact that there is more fuel", then go ahead and quote it :smile:

You may want to do further research before quoting me there :tongue: but it does make sense that it outweighs the fact there is more fuel :wink:
Original post by Daniel Atieh
Brill! Thanks a lot!

Please check if i m wrong here

a) The star starts its life as main sequence star and can be either massive or with a low mass.
But generally, this is the time when they have the largest mass compared to the next following stages right?
Well, they ll keep fusing hydrogen until it ceases and then they ll contract and their mass decrease and their temperature, but their luminosity increases. Now they are in the red giant stage, so they ll fuse helium and as that also finishes, they ll further decrease in mass and become dimmer and dimmer and their size will decrease. Also, their surface temperature will drop. This is the white dwarf stage. As time passes, they die.
b) what a standard candle exactly is? I read a lot about it but still not getting it. Please write for me some bullet points or whatever, coz my exam is tomo

Millions of thanks to you! :colondollar:

a) you seem correct there :wink:

b) sorrry I'm not particularly confident with the standard candle, I've studied it a little, but not enough to explain it, you might stand a better chance looking around at online articles or youtube videos or something :smile:
a) you seem correct there :wink:

b) sorrry I'm not particularly confident with the standard candle, I've studied it a little, but not enough to explain it, you might stand a better chance looking around at online articles or youtube videos or something :smile:

Thank you 😊😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

the empirical mass luminosity relationship for main sequence stars is expressed as

L/Lsun=(M/Msun)^a

3<a<4

assuming a=3.5 we can see that a star ~1.22 times as massive as the sun has twice the luminosity and so on

luminosity is a measure of power output
mass is a measure of stored energy as you correctly state.

the implication for main sequence lifetime of stars of different masses is clear

Quick Reply

Latest