The Student Room Group

Star method

I have a civil interview for the EO role however not familiar with the star method. The 3 behaviours that I will be tested are communicating and influencing, Managing a quality service and making effective decisions. How do I use the star method in interview ? Can someone explain for each behaviour please.
Reply 2
Original post by Ahmarahkhalifa26
I have a civil interview for the EO role however not familiar with the star method. The 3 behaviours that I will be tested are communicating and influencing, Managing a quality service and making effective decisions. How do I use the star method in interview ? Can someone explain for each behaviour please.

Just Google civil service behaviours and go through the relevant grade. After you've familiarised yourself with the behaviour profiles of the two behaviours in question just use the link the other reply gave.
plenty of stuff out there, and Uni help no doubt, in preparing Star responses.

My top tip with Star responses is to rehearse so they feel like natural stories you are telling about what you did - and to try and pick things you are proud of, because that can come across in how you explain.

Its also a good technique to demonstrate any competence you might be asked about on a person spec at an interview - again you can repurpose a Star story to cover more than one competence.
Reply 4
It is a model for explaining how you achieved something in the past that is relevant for the role you are applying for. You explain the Situation, the Tasks to be done, the Actions which you personally carried out, and the great Results you achieved!

It is very important to get good at explaining things in this way as it fits the interviewers crib sheet which scores highly in its own right. Of course it also helps if the things you achieved and the ways and means are impressive and credible.

A troublesome thing about this sort of (over rated) competency interview technique is that sometimes the questions can be convoluted and fazing, ‘Can you tell me about a time when popular opinion was against you and you had to apply novel communication techniques to influence key stake holders to take a risk?’ The best strategy is to have a well memorised bank of good things you’ve achieved which you think on your feet adapt to any question. This will always beat someone who scratches their head and says, I don’t think I’ve ever been in that situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending