The Student Room Group

GRADUATE Medicine Questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trustmeimlying1
hello there howya getting on love:?
Im a first year pharmacy student happy with my course but seriously considering GradMED.In ireland it is at the moment easier to get into than undergrad..so its likely atm I will apply come the time.The same goes for uk despite it being more competitive than undergrad.uk is much cheaper at present to study in however and I wonder could you give me any advice on how to improve my application?I understand I should aim/fight for a 1.1 worst case get a 2.1 but is there anythign else I should do?perhaps volunteer or something like that:?

1. Get a First (easier said than done I know!)
2. Get published - big brownie points
3. Work Experience in Medicine
4. Teamwork
5. Leadership skills
6. Stress Relief (what do you do for fun)
7. Teaching

These are the type of things they are looking for :smile:
Original post by Amyk89
It is likely due to the shape of training review which means GMC registration could move from end of fy1 to graduation, which means current GEM programmes wouldn't fulfil the study hour required to recognised as a medical degree.

Just to weigh in here, I honestly doubt that the GMC will move registration to the point of graduation.
Original post by DoctorInTraining
1. Get a First (easier said than done I know!)
2. Get published - big brownie points
3. Work Experience in Medicine
4. Teamwork
5. Leadership skills
6. Stress Relief (what do you do for fun)
7. Teaching

These are the type of things they are looking for :smile:

the first two Im not so sure...

the rest Im currently ticking

thanks a lot mr.stranger:smile:

if not Il hopefully get it in ireland
Reply 23
Original post by trustmeimlying1
hello there howya getting on love:?
Im a first year pharmacy student happy with my course but seriously considering GradMED.In ireland it is at the moment easier to get into than undergrad..so its likely atm I will apply come the time.The same goes for uk despite it being more competitive than undergrad.uk is much cheaper at present to study in however and I wonder could you give me any advice on how to improve my application?I understand I should aim/fight for a 1.1 worst case get a 2.1 but is there anythign else I should do?perhaps volunteer or something like that:?

Hi,
Pharmacy is a really popular course as far as I know. Why would you say it's easier to get into GradMed than undergrad? How much does it cost a year to study in Ireland? Plus don't you get any funding? I'm just curious; if you could answer any of my questions it would be really helpful
Reply 24
Original post by DoctorInTraining
I've read the thread so far and cannot recommend enough that you apply as an undergraduate.

They are transforming the entire medical training pathway (from medical student to applying for consultancy) and it might be entirely different in 3/4 years to now.

I would keep biology and chemistry going and apply for undergrad courses.

Hi,
I will try to continue with both. It really depends on my AS grades. You said they are changing the pathway but how? What do you think they will change and why
Reply 25
Original post by LukeyJB
Just to weigh in here, I honestly doubt that the GMC will move registration to the point of graduation.

Hi,
Sorry but I didn't really understand what you're saying. What does the GEM and GMC stand for? And what do you mean by the 'GMC moving registration to the point of graduation?' Registration for what? If you could answer my questions I'd feel a little more clued in! Thanks
Original post by CrystalS
Hi,
Pharmacy is a really popular course as far as I know. Why would you say it's easier to get into GradMed than undergrad? How much does it cost a year to study in Ireland? Plus don't you get any funding? I'm just curious; if you could answer any of my questions it would be really helpful

thats the general verdict.its very expensive over here..hence many cant afford it.we get zero funding..unless you have the money a Uk student couldnt study over here at all.an irish student could get a bank loan much easier..even then the debts are huge..hence many try for uk first.
Hi,
Sorry but I didn't really understand what you're saying. What does the GEM and GMC stand for? And what do you mean by the 'GMC moving registration to the point of graduation?' Registration for what? If you could answer my questions I'd feel a little more clued in! Thanks

Gem is graduate entry medicine. Gmc is general medical council.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Registration is where you are registered with the GMC as a fully qualified doctor, currently you are only able to register with the GMC after completing a year (it might be two, unsure) of foundation training as a doctor, often referred to as your FY1. Moving it to the point of graduation would be a pointless and ridiculous move, in my opinion.
Reply 29
Original post by LukeyJB
Registration is where you are registered with the GMC as a fully qualified doctor, currently you are only able to register with the GMC after completing a year (it might be two, unsure) of foundation training as a doctor, often referred to as your FY1. Moving it to the point of graduation would be a pointless and ridiculous move, in my opinion.

Why would it be pointless?
After studying a degree in medicine, most (probably ALL) students expect to gain registration with the GMC. As things are going, there are more and more applicant's than there are F1 positions, in the past years, they have barely found places for everyone graduating, however that may not be the case in the future.
By moving it to graduation, everyone gets registered and therefore everyone that graduates will be fit to practice.

Now I'm not supporting it if it moves, because it'll be the end of GEP!! Just saying...
Original post by Freyr
Why would it be pointless?
After studying a degree in medicine, most (probably ALL) students expect to gain registration with the GMC. As things are going, there are more and more applicant's than there are F1 positions, in the past years, they have barely found places for everyone graduating, however that may not be the case in the future.
By moving it to graduation, everyone gets registered and therefore everyone that graduates will be fit to practice.

Now I'm not supporting it if it moves, because it'll be the end of GEP!! Just saying...

There will always be people who don't want to register with the GMC, though, and doing it at graduation may not be totally fair. I think a better alternative is to reduce the amount of places on the standard 5 year courses, and you've also got to remember that not everyone who graduates will be fit to practice, I think the foundation years are very important in weeding those out who just aren't cut out for the job who slip through the net at medical school. As far as ending the GEM goes.. that's just silly, many fantastic medics who, for whatever reason, didn't or couldn't do the standard courses will essentially miss out, unless medical schools alter admissions criteria for the 5 year courses so graduates can apply without the standard requirements and that they don't have to be self-funded for the first 4 years.
Reply 31
Original post by LukeyJB
There will always be people who don't want to register with the GMC, though, and doing it at graduation may not be totally fair. I think a better alternative is to reduce the amount of places on the standard 5 year courses, and you've also got to remember that not everyone who graduates will be fit to practice, I think the foundation years are very important in weeding those out who just aren't cut out for the job who slip through the net at medical school. As far as ending the GEM goes.. that's just silly, many fantastic medics who, for whatever reason, didn't or couldn't do the standard courses will essentially miss out, unless medical schools alter admissions criteria for the 5 year courses so graduates can apply without the standard requirements and that they don't have to be self-funded for the first 4 years.

And the problem lies not just with the GMC, but with the EU, and uk may be forced to comply whether we like it or not.
Also with the funding, it isn't up to the GMC or medical schools, that's to do with student finance. (Yes medical schools could lower the tuition fees, but that's never going to happen!)
Original post by Freyr
And the problem lies not just with the GMC, but with the EU, and uk may be forced to comply whether we like it or not.
Also with the funding, it isn't up to the GMC or medical schools, that's to do with student finance. (Yes medical schools could lower the tuition fees, but that's never going to happen!)

I know it's up to SFE :smile: But the whole tuition fees fiasco needs statutory review anyway, am I wrong in thinking that the government are going to be reviewing it? I remember reading that they are, somewhere...
Hi,
I will try to continue with both. It really depends on my AS grades. You said they are changing the pathway but how? What do you think they will change and why

Why they changing it - I can't answer this.

What it might be changed to….. well there is already a trend that all the GEM courses are being either reduced or stopped altogether.

GEM being Grad Medicine.

Honestly apply now!

Hi,
Be very careful with dropping Chemistry at A2. Some places may (even as a graduate) ask for A2 chemistry to have been completed, regardless of having a degree.

Medical school will teach you the biology you need to know, they won't always teach you the chemistry (assuming you already know it from A levels).
Reply 35
Original post by arcl
Be very careful with dropping Chemistry at A2. Some places may (even as a graduate) ask for A2 chemistry to have been completed, regardless of having a degree.

Medical school will teach you the biology you need to know, they won't always teach you the chemistry (assuming you already know it from A levels).

Hi,
Thanks for the heads up. Are there any specific places you know of that still require A2 Chemistry as a graduate? I've not really come across any university specifically asking for A2 Chemistry as a graduate. It would be helpful if you could tell me of any you kn
Hi,
Thanks for the heads up. Are there any specific places you know of that still require A2 Chemistry as a graduate? I've not really come across any university specifically asking for A2 Chemistry as a graduate. It would be helpful if you could tell me of any you kn

Nothing I remember off hand any more.

I do remember a lot of the 5 year courses wanting chemistry to A2 for graduate/mature students. Barts may have had some requirements on doing biology or chemistry depending on your degree for their graduate entry course.
Reply 37
Original post by Amyk89
Leicester are stopping their graduate entry programme after this year so don't base your decision on them. Either of those degrees will likely be good enough for most if not all programmes. Plus at the moment there are a good proportion of graduate entry programmes that accept humanities degrees.

You need to pick a degree you would be happy studying for 3 years.

Fascinating. Is there any particular reason as to why St George's and Leicester are cutting down numbers or all together?
Original post by Chqr
Fascinating. Is there any particular reason as to why St George's and Leicester are cutting down numbers or all together?

The general consensus is it is due to the shape of training review. If graduation becomes the point at which you become fully qualified, unlike the end of fy1 as it stands now, then GEM courses don't meet the required hours needed in Europe to constitute a medical degree.
Reply 39
Original post by Amyk89
The general consensus is it is due to the shape of training review. If graduation becomes the point at which you become fully qualified, unlike the end of fy1 as it stands now, then GEM courses don't meet the required hours needed in Europe to constitute a medical degree.

Apologies for my extreme ineptitude but what is 'fy1'?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending